1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island - 765ml Matilda / Sophie

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sherm1016, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonybowker

tonybowker Zealot (85) Illinois Jan 6, 2009

We're enjoying this thread on Fulton Street. Fact is, we found a bottle we love for Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, and Pepe Nero. It's the bottle that we wanted from the outset but didn't have the equipment to fill it (thus the '650'). The new bottle line is being installed right now. Anyway, when we filled the bottle with 750ml of beer, it just didn't look right: too much head space. So we filled it until it looked right and found that it contained - yes! - 765ml of beer. That's what you'll get - and we hope that you love this bottle too.
    And, you've heard this before but we'll say it again: all of Goose Island's packaging design and marketing, just like our beers, are created right here on Fulton Street by the same team that's been doing it from back when. Give them a call. Talk to them. They'll be happy and proud to tell you from where their inspiration comes.
    Best to you all, Tony
  2. I don't think they're that good honestly. Sophie and Pepe Nero are the only ones I thought were decent. For the price, I'd rather a handful of other saisons.

Haven't had the rare stuff yet, like King Henry or Juliet. But for their year rounders, I'll pass.
  3. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Thanks for the information Tony. Very insightful. Care to share picture of the bottle?
    DevilsCups likes this.
  4. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Perhaps off topic slightly but does Matilda age well? I saw a 2010 at a local store and was debating whether I should pick up a bottle. Never had it.
    fmccormi and Ri0 like this.
  5. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

It ages wonderfully, as does Pere Jacques.
    bstyle likes this.
  6. denver10

Good to know...might have to grab that final bottle next time I stop in there.
  7. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Which bottling? The 4/16 batch was sour, and awesome!
  8. denver10

That I have absolutely no clue. I just saw Matilda with the 2010 date underneath and the bottle was in the fridge with all the old, unsold stuff.
  9. Ok then, designed and marketed at Fulton street, but is everything GI is brewed there, vs "created"?
    And by the same team from "back when"? Including brewers?
    Just curious...
  10. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

765 ml, is that like the size that the Bruery uses for it's big bottles? Just wondering.
  11. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

No, prior to the acquisition GI had already started shifting some of their lineup like 312, Honkers, and at least IPA (maybe a few others) to other breweries (mostly Red Hook). But the move has freed them up to make more of the specialty beers, all of which are still brewed at GI.

http://chicagoist.com/2011/07/29/goose_island_outsourcing_honkers_ip.php
  12. sherm1016

All of my Bruery bottles are listed at 750ml

I think he was being facetious, although perhaps not.
  13. sherm1016

Now I'm just guessing. Here's a 750ml bottle I have in my cellar that looks like it is a short fill that could use a few more milliliters.

[​IMG]
  14. On a mostly related note, why do you guys think all of Dogfish Head's larger bottles are 25.6 oz, or around 757 mL?
  15. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Thanks for chiming in! Cheers form Ohio and Wolcott, 4 blocks north of you guys :)
  16. sherm1016

I have an older bottle of DFh that is 750ml. 757ml or 25.6 oz is exactly 1/5 of a gallon. Also, the new bottle is clearly custom made with the embossed shark logo.
  17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Looks like they hit Chicago with a price point of $8.99. Not too bad.
    fmccormi likes this.
  18. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Saw some in the back of a store in VA last week. Looks pretty cool.
  19. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Yes not too bad, but they have them sitting right next to the 4 packs at $9.99 so kinda fail. Unless the 4 packs go away and then I'll be pissed.
  20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

on a similar note: had a mathilda explode on me this morning as I opened it. tastes fine, but must have lost 100 ml on the floor. have no idea what caused it. wasn't shaken about or anything. I think it may have been really ambitious yeast.
  21. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

bound to happen every once in a while with brett.
    loafinaround likes this.
  22. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i might pick up a case just in case 4 packs go away

is that grapefruit sofie gonna be bottled? would love to try that
  23. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

I thought Goose Island's 750 ml bottles looked pretty good to me; here's an '09 Matilda

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wonder how noticeable an extra 15 ml will be.. i like the switch to caged & corked though
    fmccormi likes this.
  24. jrbuckt

jrbuckt Zealot (85) Illinois Sep 13, 2012

The extra 15ml is very noticeable. They end up looking a bit squat. Saw a Pere Jacques in a liquor store today.
  25. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Oh nice, if they show up around here for $9 or $10, I'd definitely spring for that. The 22oz bottles are already $7.99 in my neck of the woods, and 4-packs run for $12.99 usually. $9 C&C 765ml Sofie? Yeah, I'd take her home :)
    BlastBeats likes this.
  26. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

I just bought one today for 8.99. Can't wait to try it!
  27. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Yes
  28. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Just bought a 765 of Lolita.
    [​IMG]
    utopiajane, Bitterbill and gjoker321 like this.
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Watch out! I had a 750 that blew up right before I got to it. :(

Edit: My bad. It was a bottle of Juliet that did the naughty deed.
  30. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Oh please no. Cork and cage will not improve these beers but will change the price I bet. I like the green sofie label and the plainness and simplicity of it.
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Lolita 765 is a sealed bottle cap, haven't seen any corks.
  32. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Yep, I guess I guessed it right a year in advance!
  33. Sofie and Matilda have both been in the 765mL format bottle for at least 6-7 months here in illinois. Also the sisters- which include lolita,juliet, and the two new ones gillian, and halia are also in the 765mL format bottle, they are not corked and caged either just a simple cap. Im also quite sick of people bashing the fact that AB in bev now owns them, and or thinking that their ownership has changed goose islands goal of creating unique and delicious beer, especially considering if you go to brewery or barrel house, there has been no change in the quality and or craftsmanship in their world class beers. But hey more for me i guess.
    midnitesun11 likes this.
  34. If you all haven't seen this thread, a lot of Sisters questions are answered.
  35. Because bigger is better? Actually these are like twice as much weight per bottle
  36. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

He got the best response ever on this topic. Worth checking it out for details on the individual beers. I picked up 3 of them today...and saw the rest. That pic that Ri0 posted is the same bottle type for all of them (at least in GA) including both Pepe's. All capped with that foil wrapping that includes the date on the top. I guess in theory there could be a cork inside like a lambic but i'm doubting that.
  37. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

They're not corked, just a cap under that foil.
  38. cestlavie

cestlavie Savant (475) New York Oct 27, 2011

I'm going to bump this old thread, because I never saw it when these bottles were released. I will share with you the REAL story as to why 765ml... As you know by now, this is actually a 750ml bottle, but it was a custom bottle design. When this custom bottle arrived in Chicago, it was filled with 750ml of liquid... however, this 750ml fill only hit around the base of the neck (slightly lower, actually), due to the unique shape of the bottle. That being said, rather than start all over and delay the production of the slightly larger conversion from 650ml to 750ml, Goose decided that it would be easier to add liquid to each bottle until the fill level was where they thought it should be. And thus, 765ml bottles of Goose Vintage were born!

And just as a FYI, working on the distributor end, the price on the case of 22oz bombers to the case of 765ml new bottles never went up a cent to the actual retailers. Any markup you have seen comes strictly from the retailer. It was one of the most amazing things Goose could do- they basically gave us 4 extra oz of Matilda, Sofie, Pere, Pepe for FREE!!!
    BedetheVenerable and TonyJ815 like this.
  39. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (370) Florida Apr 3, 2013

That's what it's all about. Why make the consumer suffer at the hands of someone else's mistake? Good job GI!

40. Not true. Price to retail DID go up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.