Goose Island - 765ml Matilda / Sophie

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sherm1016, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

They need to be careful about entering dangerous price territory though. Much of the appeal of Sofie/Matilda is the fairly reasonable prices. If it exceeds the $10 for a large bottle price point, then most people would just happily switch to Orval for less money.

2. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Yeah, I noticed that in a google search. There are a ton of other shapes for 765ml containers I've found, though. I have no idea how much different this might / might not look.

3. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Maven (1,396) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think these bottles are going to go from $7-9 for a capped 650ml to $10-13 for a C&C 765ml. These beers are going to be used to try and hook some wine drinkers on beer. they will present the beer differently and up the price so it does seem to be cheap. on a side note, the most recent bottling of sofie i had (don't remember the exact bottling date but it was a 650ml from some time in the first half of 2012) was no where near as good as the 2011s i had been drinking earlier this year, my brother felt the same way

4. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Or, some other good alternatives. If you're specifically seeking brett then that's one thing, but Brooklyn Local 1 and Sorachi Ace usually go for about $9/ bottle, in my experience. If you're looking for a nice beer to share in a somewhat more elegant presentation, jumping $1/ bottle to go from 650ml to 750ml is not unreasonable, especially for the quality of those two beers. (Which, to be fair, only come in that packaging format, to my chagrin.)

I just want more good, (somewhat) lower-ABV brett beers. I think Green Flash did something fantastic with Rayon Vert, especially when you consider the contents, packaging, and price all at once. Fantastic value.

5. cbeer88

I'm mostly just comparing apples to apples. Orval is the gold standard for a Belgian Pale w/ Brett, so Matilda becomes a mighty tough sell if it costs more than Orval. Rayon Vert is awesome, but it's extremely under the radar. I wouldn't see most Matilda drinkers jumping to Rayon Vert the way I could see them jumping to Orval.

fmccormi and BleepBloopBlap like this.
  6. a74gent

a74gent Pundit (981) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm not sure it is as simple as "Different sells".....at the risk of being argumentative on BA (oh my), I would posit that size matters!

7. sherm1016

sherm1016 Pundit (843) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

I have trouble believing 15ml matters. I do however believe that the 765ml bottle must be more expensive than a 750ml bottle in some way (bottle cost, new/different bottling line, something) given it is not industry standard for beer or wine (as best I can tell). So there has to be some value to GI / ABI to using a different size bottle. I'm speculating that it's not the 15ml. Maybe it will be the same shape as a normal 750ml (the Stoudt's above appears to be), but then it would be even stranger IMO.

Also, as for "different sells": see Bud Light Platinum. It is selling extremely well (much to the chagrin of most here on BA), and I'm guessing the fancy blue bottle is part of the reason why.

8. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

On a semi-related note, I've seen the 22oz Sofie, Matilda, and Sophie going up from a great value at 8-9 bucks, to 12-13...for no apparent reason...why would I spend 13 bucks for a 22oz of Pere Jacques (which I LOVE) or Matilda (love it also) when I can spend 12 bucks for 4-12oz? Hope these beers dont get prohibitively expensive?

9. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Why 765 ml? A mistake by the bottle maker and a discount to GI?

10. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

Double chagrin Fridays here on BA. :grinning:

Kopfschuss, sherm1016 and franklinn like this.
  11. cbeer88

The bottle will look different than everything else on the shelf. On its own it might be subtle, but when placed on a shelf next to the standard sized 750ml, it will stick out.

12. sherm1016

That very well might be the case. Time will tell I suppose. But it leads to another question: will other breweries follow so as not to be left behind.

13. cbeer88

Yes and no. To some extent many breweries already do angle for packaging that sticks out - be it bottle type, labels, etc. On the other hand, using customized bottles or special rarer bottles are very expensive. Most craft brewers are still small enough that they already have problems getting their prices down, so spending even more money on packaging doesn't make a lot of sense for them.

14. a74gent

Trader

I was just joking my good man, but since you're in a serious mood I'll retort. GI clearly has some reason and I'm guessing it is about changing the price point for some reason. Bud Light Platinum is selling well? Really...not kidding. I don't see it moving much of anywhere either off the shelf or via bottles/pints at the bar. Is there a stat or do others see the BLP moving well too?

15. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

For some reason, bomber prices almost always suck per ounce when compared to 12oz bottles. I haven't bought a 4-pack of GI Belgians in a while, but $12 seems right.

That means that, at current prices, Matilda is $0.36/oz in bomber vs. $0.25/oz in 4-pack bottles.

I just don't get bomber pricing :slight_frown:

16. mdomask

mdomask Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Illinois

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-abinbev-earnings-idUSBRE89U0AY20121031

17. thecommish101831

thecommish101831 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2010 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Wow. My store has them for $8.99 for a 22oz, or $8.99 for a 4 pack

cestlavie likes this.
  18. sherm1016

http://beerpulse.com/2012/10/a-b-in...ily-up-bud-down-shock-top-and-stella-surging/

19. a74gent

Trader

20. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 Illinois

buy buy buy

fmccormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.