1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Baudoinia - Fulton & Wood Series (Fungus BCBS)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BlastBeats, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

"Baudoinia is a collaboration between Brewmaster Brett Porter and John Laffler. Baudoinia is the name of a fungus that grows on barrels stored low to the ground in distillery rickhouses. Given these barrels uniqueness, they have aged Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout solely in these Baudoinia covered barrels for a new spin on Bourbon County."

Looks really interesting.. check out the video;

2. I had this at FOBAB. Brett came over and talked with us for 20-25 minutes about the variations they were serving. He was VERY excited about the Baudoinia. I need to try it semi-sober to formulate a solid opinion of it vs. regular BCS. But my memory tells me it was solid!

SIDE NOTE: I can confidently say (and this was Brett's opinion too).....Bramble Rye with a year on it is better than Cherry Rye.
    Mposha, VonZipper and tonyclifton36 like this.
  3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Had this at FoBAB as well. It was my second favorite of the 4 treatments behind apple brandy, and I'm pretty confident about my assessment as I used my second ticket on the BCBS flight.
  4. I'm surprised the press release doesn't mention: "We're pretty sure we can do any damn thing with the BCS series so long as it's limited and has the name Bourbon County Stout on it.
  5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

But will Cherry Rye follow the same progression as Bramble has in a year? That's the more pertinent question to be asking in my opinion.

I didn't like Bramble fresh at all, but it is drinking very well right now. I also wasn't a huge fan of Cherry Rye at FoBAB or Black Friday, but hoping I'll be as impressed with it in a year as I am with Bramble now.

Also Baudoinia was very good at FoBAB, but not quite as good as the Apple Brandy Koval barrel aged version. Can't wait to try it side by side with regular Bourbon County in the coming weeks.

Cheers!
    cnbrown313 likes this.
  6. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

It's a shame I won't be anywhere close to Chicago to get to try this. The whole concept sounds very interesting, and I would only imagine it would taste lovely. BCBS with more smoothness and less of an "hot" taste and only 1% less abv, I'd gladly drink this everyday until the tap runs dry.
  7. Yeah very true! Honestly ANY BCS varient is awesome. I'm also optimistic that Cherry Rye will turn out to be a true whale in a year. Just not sure it has the initial "punch" that might be needed to age into that. (Like I know what it takes:))

Just sayin'
  8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Not sure why Cherry Rye gets as much slack as it has, it's a fucking incredible beer. If you dont want your bottles, I will gladly trade you for them. I want to drink as much of it as possible.
  9. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

It was fantastic at FoBAB. Really smooth and rich. My favorite of the 4 samples.

Just to clarify, Fulton & Wood series means draft-only, Chicagoland only.
    BlastBeats likes this.
  10. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Anyone know if this is on tap at Clyborn right now?
  11. foobula

Supposedly available starting next Monday
  12. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Introducing Baudoinia, the next beer in our Fulton and Wood series. The beer comes out December 10th on draft in the Chicago area only.

From the Goose Island Facebook Page.

Cheers!
    BlastBeats likes this.
  13. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I am going to try to make it to the tapping at Clybourn next Monday......I'll just hop on the train as long as I am able to get this annoying work done this week.

I love Goose, but I also realize that they could probably release literally any BCBS variant and we will buy it up.
  14. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

Thanks for the info; I forgot to put the release date in my original post.
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  15. dipaguy

dipaguy Aficionado (200) Florida Feb 20, 2011

How much are the bottles of cherry rye and bcbcs going for on the shelf. Thanks
  16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i wonder if brett porter realizes that his name could be a style of beer
  17. Sounds good.
  18. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

like 20-25 sounds like the average
  19. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

If Goose Island started distributing to Oregon you would be singing a very different tune.
    BlastBeats, cavedave and BreakingBad like this.
  20. Yeah, if you can find any lol
  21. GI does distribute to Oregon. Their stuff sits on the shelves if it doesn't have BCS on it.

And stupid comments aside, when Rogue did their brewer's beard yeast, it was a gimmick. GI does it with barrel fungus, and it's awesome. You can't argue GI 'trolls' us and gets away with it. They received their blank check with Rare.
  22. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I was just thinking that myself. In fact I was wondering if this news was a joke given the name, but I guess not! Brett Porter, too funny - guess he was born to be a brewer. Maybe someone should try that one out...

Dope
  23. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

They did make a Brett Porter actually, but the beer didn't turn out as hoped and they dumped it.
  24. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Lets stop crying children.

And btw, Rare wasn't that great
    digita7693 likes this.

25. well, that settles that debate.
    cwgrock, cnbrown313, seeswo and 5 others like this.
  26. jbland21

jbland21 Aficionado (110) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

That's because if it doesn't have BCS on it it is most likely their year-round offerings...which usually sit on shelves throughout the year anywhere.
    cavedave and sprucetip like this.
  27. foobula

For the record, I don't think the fungus is supposed to be in the beer, just on the outside of the barrel. It thrives in low ethanol environments, not high ones like you'd find inside a barrel. I think this beer is sort of a sneaky admission on GI's part that regular BC"B"S is no longer 100% BBA, while Baudoinia is, putting aside any alleged benefits of being a bottom-of-the-rack barrel.
  28. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

[​IMG]
    Vonerichs, DanGolfs86 and Gonzoillini like this.
  29. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Am I missing something here?
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  30. foobula

BCS is a blend. 3% of that blend is Wheat Whiskey BCS, deemed unsuitable for its own release (despite GI's previous commitment to do so, per the 2012 Beer Calendar.) I assume that the remaining 97% may or may not be all bourbon barrels. I think calling it Bourbon County "Brand" Stout gives them a lot of leeway in the types of barrels used. It's just a brand name, not a factual description of the ingredients or production process.
  31. foobula

OTOH Baudoinia is marketed as being 100% heaven hill barrels from the bottom of the rack. So it's 100% BBA which BCS is not.
  32. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

No one is saying that. Look at Cherry and Bramble. Those were aged in Rye barrels, not Bourbon yet no one has a problem with the 'Bourbon County' name. The problem I have is your complete asinine and unfounded accusation that it isn't, or in the future won't be 100% barrel aged.

That is unless I'm misinterpreting you and I assumed you meant 100% barrel aged when your undefined and unused acronym of BBA stood for "Bourbon Barrel Aged"
    Etan likes this.
  33. foobula

Yeah I thought the extra B in BBA stood for Bourbon. It doesn't?

But regardless, hypothetically speaking, even if it weren't 100% BA, I think they could still market it as BCBS, no problem, because the marketing material I see on the web makes no such claim.
  34. foobula

No drugs, just ethanol and a few spores of Baudoinia for good measure.
    tinypyramids likes this.
  35. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i haven't had any reason to doubt that bcbs is 100% barrel aged. it might not all be the same type of barrels, but nothing i've had in the flavour profile would suggest to me otherwise. but even then, i don't really care as long as they make beer that tastes as amazing as bcbs '11 and '12 did fresh (and still do).
  36. foobula

^^^ agreed. Not trying to be critical of regular BCBS, just making the point that the relative deliciousness of Baudoinia may not come from the moldiness or the bottom rackness of it, rather the 100% bourbonness vs. Regular BCBS'12. I don't care what kind of barrels are used, as long as the end result is amazing, which Bourbon County Stout consistently is.

Edit: Though I much preferred Baudoinia to Buffalo Trace BCS. So maybe there is something to the low storage thing. Regardless, I think I've raised some valid points. Perhaps calling GI "sneaky" was unnecessary, I'm just saying these aren't the exact same beers aged at slightly differing altitudes.
  37. He isn't saying that it is not 100% barrel aged, he is saying that 3% of the barrels are wheat whiskey barrels, produced in the same manner as bourbon barrels. I doubt anyone could tell the difference if something was only 97% bourbon/3% wheat whiskey barrel aged vs. 100% bourbon barrel aged.
  38. foobula

I feel confident that it is 100% barrel aged, given Goose's apparent transparency with YouTube videos and brewers being completely honest with customers. Two questions I have, before I hit the hay, are: 1) If Wheat Whiskey wasn't good enough to release on its own (too hot or whatever) does its presence adversely affect the taste of BCBS'12 and 2) would a side-by-side of Baudoinia (lowest rack) vs. Heaven Hill BCBS (all rack levels) reveal a meaningful difference? Obviously the brewers seem to think so, but that's not an experiment the public can recreate.
  39. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Where do you get this idea that they blended in 3% wheat whiskey BCBS?
  40. foobula

Laffler and another brewer at the 6pm session, Black Friday event. The other guy said he fought to have Wheat Whiskey released on its own, even if it was too hot.