1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Baudoinia - Fulton & Wood Series (Fungus BCBS)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BlastBeats, Dec 4, 2012.

1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Not really, I am not a huge bcs fan, and there is more than enough exceptional beer in Portland alone that I would rather have.

YogiBeer likes this.
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

As sad as I am that I'll never get to try this (the guy sure knows how to salespitch), it's good to know that at least some breweries still take the locals to heart. I truly hope the Chicago peeps enjoy this.

So uh, ISO: Cherry Rye ;)

BlastBeats likes this.
  3. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (315) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I don't know enough about Bourbon County, but based on the taste I had the other day of Imperial Stout, straight out of a spirit barrel, I highly doubt BCBS is 100% in barrels. Unblended ba beer is seriously oaky and hot, unless its done for a really short amount of time (which is obviously not the case with BCBS). I also cant find any information about the percentage, as brewers are not required to disclose this info, and if it was 100% wouldn't you want to advertise that?

4. So it's a Chicago only, draft only release? Well that should keep at least one particular BA satisfied... ;)

WillCarrera likes this.
  5. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (380) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

You all realize that there is wheated bourbon see Buffalo Trace and Pappy. There is also Rye Bourbon like 4 Roses or Old Grandad. So unless you know the Barrel used it is impossible to really tell. My bet is they are using Bourbon barrels of each type.

foobula likes this.
  6. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Ok so it turns out these were rebel yell barrels which is wheated bourbon. So it's still 100% bourbon barrel aged even accounting for that 3% from those barrels. Guess I'll do more homework before posting.

7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

There arent any more, but roughly 18-20$

8. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Where were you shopping? ( and please say Dekalb) I only saw $20 at Binnys. Every else was $23-$35 from what I have read...

9. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Hy-vee was selling them for 18.99? They were gone in 1.85 hours though (cherry rye and coffee). BCBS 4 packs were right around 20-21 I believe?

10. So this dude's name is Brett Porter and he does interviews drunk. I like this guy.

stawn and Dennoman like this.
  11. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

So 1 hour and 51 minutes?

12. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

For those of you that tried this on-tap today, how was it? Noticeably different than regular BCBS?

13. sketcher6773

sketcher6773 Zealot (85) Illinois Sep 14, 2012

Wasn't released yet... (at least not at Goose Island Clybourne).

14. It's been on tap at a couple of places already -- FoBAB, Paddy Long's, Monk's Pub (though last night was the release party at the brewery). It's much more mild than the regular BCS in terms of aroma - bigger body, though, with stronger chocolate flavor, especially on the finish. But not quite as barrel-forward. Probably more balanced overall. Very enjoyable and well worth seeking out.

BlastBeats likes this.
  15. Mjmoser

Paddy Longs didn't have it at the Tap Takeover Friday....

16. Then consider myself corrected!

17. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Going to the Clybourne brew pub Saturday night and interested in trying this new little brew!

BlastBeats likes this.
  18. Thats a
    interesting analysis since bramble hasn't been around for a whole year yet

19. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Baudoinia is absolutely delicious! Big step up from this year's regular Bourbon County Stout, too. More chocolate, molasses, slightly less heat (though still about 14.5% abv), incredibly smooth and dangerously drinkable. I had 3 glasses in a rather short amount of time at the release party. I really, really like this one. It'll be on tap at Fischman's tomorrow night along with Night Stalker and a few others from the Goose. I wants me some Baudoinia!

BlastBeats likes this.
  20. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

yes it has - bottle date on mine is 12/10/11

21. OP was referring to a convo that took place at fobab, which was november 17th, so unless there were multiple bottling dates for bramble...

22. tinypyramids

ah, missed that part. that's still pretty close to a year though, no need to get pedantic. it's not like the difference between 340 and 365 (or 366) days of aging is super huge, even at suboptimal temps.

23. I agree, I was just trying to keep up with the overcritical analysis of everything that is said on this forum.

24. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Chicagoland/Chicago area release........ Going to Mount Prospect to have a draft tonight.:)

25. skypants

skypants Disciple (60) California Mar 4, 2010

Where will it be pouring in MtProspect tonight? never mind,,,,,

See it on tap at Blues Bar based on beermenu....

26. markrmoser

markrmoser Savant (255) Illinois Jun 27, 2010

Here now, and it is tasting great. Bar empty of bcbs drinkers, it will last through the weekend.

27. Mjmoser

Sweet, then we are going Sat!

markrmoser likes this.
  28. tinypyramids

had this on tap at fischmans tonight. everyone that says it's way more chocolatey and less boozy than regular bcbs is not exaggerating; it's exactly what i thought the second that glass met lips. i saw a bartender carrying a tub of ice cream and dishing out scoops to people. if i were ever to try to make a beer float from bcbs, it would be from baudoinia. really delicious and worth seeking out.

Mjmoser likes this.
  29. I will get a chance to try this on Friday at a Goose Island tap takeover. For those who have tried it, how does it differ from regular BCBS?

Sounds like more chocolatey and less boozy per the two opinions above. Any others?

30. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I was checking beer menu for the 2 goose island pubs, and they don't have baudoinia on tap anymore? I was gonna go this saturday and was looking forward to this one.

31. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

BTW I just figured out by dumb luck where this tap takeover is... I so wanna go now, it's right by where I live.

32. I'm pretty excited to try this given how limited it is. PM me if you end up going there...ill be there for sure.

jplopez21 likes this.
  33. it was on yesterday at WFM Kingsbury. $8 for 12oz!

34. Moutstainz

Moutstainz Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

Hopleaf tapped it last Saturday night and still had it on tap when we were in there Tuesday night

35. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Hah. I was thinking the same thing watching it.

You'd be drunk too if you were "tasting" Bourbon County all day.

36. still on today.

37. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Still on at Happ Inn Northfield. $8 for 10 oz though the draft list says $10

TravisMBinns likes this.
  38. corbenlee

corbenlee Aficionado (160) Indiana Apr 27, 2011

Local option had it on Wednesday Night. This beer is just fantastic. Whats great about it is that you don't get all of the heat that you get with BCBS. Also, it has a whole lot sweeter taste to it. Almost reminds me of a BCBS with some age on it. Very tasty

39. Moutstainz

Moutstainz Disciple (70) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

I am actually seeing this ALL over the place in Chicago over the last week or two

40. That's not true at all. I tasted over twenty different barrels of eclipse and most were very very smooth. Yes, you got the oak flavor, and a 10% plus beer is always going to have a little bit of alcohol heat, but event he ones that had been in the barrel for over a year weren't that hot. If anything, past a certain point, the alcohol seemed to start to mellow out and the flavors seemed to congeal a bit. The barrel character appeared sharpest at about 4-6 months.