1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Black Friday 2012 - sexy details

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

sold out for 4pm

2. Auztan

Auztan Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 6, 2009

un-sold out for 4pm...

3. dsal89

Wow lol there is still hope

4. dsal89

annnnnnnd sold out again

5. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Just snagged 2 tix for 10am session. Nothin like a Bourbon County breakfast. Just throwin this out there but if anyone wants to trade me a later time for my early time BM me. If not, no biggie. Ill b drunk by noon :)

6. JakeT469

4pm session keeps getting put back up. Just bought 2 for that session. Check it out now! Btw might have 2 xtra tix for 10am session. BM me if interested. The key word is MIGHT so no guarantee yet.

7. bertram

bertram Savant (360) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

10a session, sleep it off in the car, 4p session...best Black Friday ever.

JakeT469, tinypyramids and pmoney like this.
  8. JakeT469

That is definitely possible but I'll b taking the train so no car for me. I'll have to find a nice warm card board box to curl up in. Plus idk how I feel about dropping over $300 for tasting.

9. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Looks like 4PM still for sale

10. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (210) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

Does anyone have 1 for the 2pm session that they want to trade for a 4pm session? My buddy just got a 4pm ticket but wants to join us for the 2pm session

11. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

just snagged 2 for the 4pm session! won't be back in time for Vav's event, so a gauranteed bottle of '09 BCS will have to suffice!

12. Just got a single for 4. Just kept refreshing the page.

13. dmbsnus

dmbsnus Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 10, 2012

anyone have an extra 10 a.m. ticket?

14. I can't complain really, since I got tickets for Bolt Cutter, but it does sound like a kick-ass event. I wonder how some of you guys seem to always get tickets. Maybe I'm just that slow on the mobile alerts or don't have enough people in the know.

15. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Got a buddy looking for a 12 PM session ticket. I could only buy one by the time I got to a computer and it sold out shortly after. If a generous soul one left please BM me. Thanks!

16. The22Lou

The22Lou Aficionado (200) Oregon Jun 1, 2011

I'm looking for a ticket any session but 10am, message me if you got one, thanks a ton!!

17. xsists

xsists Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Dec 31, 2007

Anyone willing to give up the snifter, ISO. lol

18. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

Looking for a noon ticket: trade, buying? Let me know.

Thanks!

19. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (210) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

anyone need a 4pm for a 2pm?

20. If anyone would like a 2pm, I am looking for a noon.

21. DMBTattoo

DMBTattoo Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

Looking for ANY ticket, kinda pissed how this was unannounced.

22. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

It still sold out very quickly with the silent release. While I imagine your frustration, when demand is > supply someone is always going to walk away unhappy.

Cheers!

23. eorwar

eorwar Savant (295) Illinois Jan 11, 2012

Also looking for a noon ticket. If anyone can't attend or has an extra please BM me.

24. cwm5429

cwm5429 Zealot (85) Indiana Feb 20, 2011

Have 2 tickets for the 2PM session, would like to swap them for noon tickets if anyone is interested.

25. StoutFest

StoutFest Savant (315) Illinois Dec 15, 2009

Are people aware that all of the beers for the ticketed event are from the bottle?

26. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

well now that I know that Im no longer interested in rare, vanilla, or king henry or the snifter and the '09 bottle. from the bottle, the bottle, how dare you!?!?! F-U Goose. Now does anyone know where Baller Stout is on tap? In bottles its garbage but have you had it on cask, ooooo boy!!! ;)

27. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

burica put it better than me, but did anyone NOT think this?

28. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

Actually, the bottle thing is why I thought this is a bad deal, based on GI's past tasting events.

From the bottle, this will be 1x 22oz bomber/6 people, or 2x 12oz bottle/table. Tables are 6 people. Assuming $10 for the glass and $25 for the 2009 bomber, that's $40 for 6 3oz pours of beer. Compare that to FOBAB at $40 for 16 pours.

I'd rather go to Vav's event and spend the $40 for stuff from his cellar, then go sample the one-offs at the pub afterwards.

29. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

you're not factoring in the very real (but by no means guaranteed, this is entirely speculation) possibility of extra surprises not listed in the event info. and yeah, it's pricey, but when are you going to get to try all of these in one place?

30. burica2020

why not both like lots of people are doing? one guarantees me 2oz of rare, while the other is a one in a hundred chance to buy a 75 buck rare (not bitching about the price BTW, that seems fair). No reason to compare this to stout fest or fobab, it's a bar selling like a pairing special. 40 bucks to ME seems fair for 2 to 3oz samples of six cellared rare beers.

31. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I also think it's great to be in a setting with other beer geeks and talk beer for a couple hours. It's fun even. Is it pricey? Sure. Will the amount of money I paid have any correlation to the amount of fun I'm going to have? Absolutely not. We all know what we're getting when we're buying the tickets and it's simple as that.

eorwar, Tnudish and tinypyramids like this.
  32. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

And compare that to the Great Taste, where for $50 many of us were able to cycle through the GI line 4 times for pours of King Henry...in addition to countless other pours throughout the day. :)

Completely agree that it isn't particularly worthwhile to some, but kudos to GI for putting on the event for those who have yet to try the rarer pours. (I particularly look forward to the response of those who have yet to try Rare).

33. mdomask

Whenever I can get a couple friends together and we decide to crack the bottles ;)

34. burica2020

Well you and your friends have a much better cellar then I. I have one bottle of rare left (and one vanilla and two king Henrys) and probably wont be cracking them anytime soon so I saw this as a chance to enjoy what I stare at on a weekly basis in my basement.

redsand22 likes this.
  35. I think this post sums up this discussion really well. For many out there who were able to get bottles of these beers or taste them on the cheep at the "premier" events, this GI event price may not make sense.

On the other hand, for those like me who may have only tasted 1 or none of these beers and may not have any of them in bottles (I only have 1 since Vav is an awesome guy) this event price is well worth it.

36. mdomask

The friend I have with Rare/Vanilla turns 30 a few days after I do. Seems a good reason for cracking some very fun stuff :)

37. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (145) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

If you have a ton of BCBS variants sitting in your cellar, this may not be the greatest value. But if you've been running around like a chicken with your head cut off since you never got Rare, KH, Vanilla, etc on shelves, it seems pretty reasonable.

38. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Got a buddy looking for a 4pm session ticket to join me. BM me if selling. He's willing to go above cost.

39. That's my reasoning entirely.
    I have empty bottles on my shelf of Big John, Night Stalker, Regular, Coffee, Bramble, Vanilla, King Henry & Rare. (Yes. I know I'm a huge dork.)

After buying all of those at retail when they were released ($50 alone for the Rare) I just couldn't justify the purchase of a ticket. However if I hadn't run around / spent so much back when I would have DEFINITELY tried to get into this shindig!

40. burica2020

empty bottles, kinda nerdy but I steam off the labels and put them in a quasi scrap book, really nerdy. But I dont have kids and live in an affordable place, so 75 bucks to try these again seems fine to me. Which is the same argument lots of people in the BA 3F's posts make. While its kinda expensive, its not outrageously expensive and there is a market for it. Would I have bought it if it was 90, no way but I'm sure others better off then I would have.