1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Black Friday 2012 - sexy details

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. If anyone has an extra ticket to any one of the sessions, please shoot me a bm. I will pay the full cost of the ticket and throw in a bottle of something for the trouble.

Thank you
  2. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

Looking for a 12 ticket
  3. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

The only reason I signed up for twitter was this very reason. Lots of breweries, stores, brewpubs, etc. tweet out information regarding limited releases, events, new beers, etc. and it allows all the information to be in one stream which is nice.
  4. Vav

Vav Savant (475) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

That's why i use it. It's way easier to manage than an email list.
    kockroach likes this.
  5. dbrs54

dbrs54 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I have a pair of tickets to the 6pm tasting. I can no longer attend and am willing to sell them.
  6. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

One last look for trading my 6pm for a 2pm session. I will throw something in for your trouble, send me a message if you are interested, thanks!
  7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

got an email from brown paper tickets about the event:

8. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

How have the tastings been?
  9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I could listen to laffler talk for hours.

Hummina hummina humminah
  10. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

How long are the tastings?
  11. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (265) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Approximately 75 minutes.
  12. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

He does have a perty mouth.
  13. RunningIPA

RunningIPA Zealot (95) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

Fantastic event. Worth every penny.
    JimGlonke likes this.
  14. Vav

Vav Savant (475) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

15. Wow that was a lot of fun
    Someone needs to buy Vav a beer unless there's more leaking barrels
  16. lurchingbeast

Yea, well, you didn't walk out without the BCS glass and the 09 bomber... :-/
  17. I broke my glass :(
  18. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

That older guy yelling silence in our session was kinda cool and kinda scary.
    redsand22 likes this.
  19. well that sounds like fun... i drank more than my fill of last years coffee out at the bar since i missed out on tickets to the fancy shindig.
  20. Sounds like a good time to start passing out more raffle tickets!
  21. That old guy lol, a group of us was crying laughing at him. So serious! I can see his point but comon
  22. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

what did the glass end up looking like?
  23. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

Pretty awesome event. 6 ridiculous beers, friendly people to chat with about the beers, and some tasty snacks. Oddly, Cherry Rye was the highlight for me. But maybe that's only because I've had the others. Tons of coffee taste on the coffee, and yes, a little spice at the end.
    I'd say both Vanilla and Rare benefit GREATLY from warming up a touch. Served super cold at 10 am, it takes away a lot of the flavors. So if any 6 o'clockers are reading this, let 'em warm up.

All in all, another Goose win on Black Friday. Thanks!
  24. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Wow, seriously dude?!?!? Im sorry to hear that, you looked perfectly sober last time I saw you
  25. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Seriously, I thought I saw you grab the sweet placemat, throw it in your bag and walk towards the exit.... Did u leave it in the bar?
  26. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Yes the 10am glasses were slightly chilled,but there was plenty of great conversation to let them warm.King Henry was a major hit in our area. Savoring each inhale and slow swallow of Rare was the highlight for my own self
  27. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

my opinions that i posted on a different forum. feel free to agree/disagree/tear me apart lisa:

Vanilla: This was, and is, still far and away the best flavoured BCBS variant. I can't imagine how overpowering the vanilla was fresh, but cellared it's still quite potent and compliments the flavours quite well. This is dessert in a glass, and worth every penny you'll pay for it.

Cherry Rye: I can't say I was disappointed by this, but it's not going to be worth the insane chase to land one of these. When GI's biggest account on planet Earth gets one case, you know it's going to be hard to land. I don't think it's worth killing yourself over, but if you like cherry stouts it'll be hard to pass this one up. Would be really interested to hear from someone who's had both GI and Bell's BA cherry stouts.

Coffee 2012: I guess I don't like coffee stouts as much as I thought. I liked 2011 better - the coffee was too strong right now. It's understandable because it's meant for long aging, but it's too much fresh. I'll probably like this a lot in 6-8 months.

Bramble: I'm of the minority that liked bramble upon release, but holy fuck is it better now. I can't even really describe how or why. I'd just advise that if you're sitting on one, drink it in the next couple months - not that it can't age longer, but that it's very very good right now.

King Henry: This is every bit as good as I remembered from June. I'd say if you have a bottle, drink it now rather than later - I seriously cannot imagine KH getting any better than it is now.

Rare: This is the pinnacle of bourbon barrel stouts. I'm honestly going to say I would rather drink King Henry most of the time, but there's a reason this beer has so much acclaim. The bottle I won/bought in the purchase raffle this morning will be saved until my 30th birthday in a year and a half, and I can't imagine it any other way.

listening to laffler and the barrel wranglers drunk and talking their ears off was awesome. my question to them was "what was your most surprising experiment" and i got some really good answers. i knew they were there collecting a paycheck but i knew that they had fun hanging out, all the same. i feel the same way about my job sometimes.

on a side note, the barrel aged doppelbock ("elijah") at GI clybourn is outstanding and i highly recommend it.
    gpawned and Dontcounttoday like this.
  28. I got some cherry and I remember bells BA cherry from FOBAB pretty well so I'll weigh in when I finally try it in the near future. I can honestly say I liked the Bells and this is coming from a guy who doesn't particularly like cherry stouts.
  29. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Thought Cherry Rye, Rare, and Coffee were amazing. King Henry has fallen off in a big way.
  30. billywan

For what it's worth, I thought the Bell's was significantly more tart than cherry rye. Also seemed to have blended more, while I thought the flavors in Cherry Rye were all pretty distinct at this point in its life. Might mellow out like Bramble has and blend together more. Whether that's a good thing is up to your taste, but I thought Cherry Rye was great this morning.
  31. billywan

This. 10 am-ers didn't get their glasses yet. Any pics?
  32. lurchingbeast

Looks are deceiving.

I remembered the placemat, forgot everything else including my dignity. I called GI about an hour later and they pulled up my info and told me they'd make it right. Great people there.
    MarkIntihar and Tnudish like this.
  33. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Our 2009 bombers, BCBS snifters, and a bomber of 2011 Big John to boot...

[​IMG]

Obviously, we love the glasses. Who wouldn't?
  34. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Those glasses are sick.
    ISO.
  35. shuajw

Well shit, those are awesome. They should really make those available for purchase. I'd love to get a hold of one (or four).
  36. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Whole Foods should be having another tasting soon.

Are you single?
  37. cetherid

cetherid Savant (385) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Was at the 4pm session....other than the loud obnoxious asshole who wouldn't stop talking, it was awesome. Even Laffler stopped talking to basically tell the dude to shut the fuck up.
  38. shuajw

Do they give those glasses out at those tastings? Sadly I live in Atlanta (originally from Chicago)

I'm married, does match.com do the tastings?
  39. Well shit. I can't believe I passed up this event. Those glasses are fucking awesome. ISO
  40. Care to share what he said?