1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Black Friday 2012 - sexy details

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. boomer31

boomer31 Savant (260) Minnesota Apr 14, 2009

I had a great time this morning at the 10 am session. Can't wait to get my glass (in the mail) at some point in the future...hopefully near future.
    I thought KH was great and was the highlight for me followed by Vanilla then Rare. Perhaps the KH stood out among the others JUST because its a barleywine?!? Not so sure about that, but a great beer and drinking great right now. The vanilla was spot on and IF I had a bottle I'd be looking to drink soon. Rare was great and so mellow and so perfectly balanced. A great beer beer no doubt. The cherry and bramble just aren't my thing though the other 4 around me loved it. Coffee was splendid and very coffee forward, much more than I remember the other vintages being. Delicious, though it was 10 am so perhaps I was just craving more coffee.
    An awesome event no doubt! Thanks you GI for putting this on!

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

laffler said it was a pomegranate sour (maybe a saison, not a sour, i don't fully recall) that didn't taste like pomegranate at all that they wound up dumping. one of the other brewers mentioned a barrel that they had fucked up filling and wound up only having honey in it with all the various wine barrel kind of bugs. they discovered it and wound up filling with a barleywine of some kind, and he said it was really good. didn't mention a name or anything. sounded awesome though.

3. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Awesome time, best $80 I've spent in a while. KH was my favorite, followed by Rare, Vanilla, Coffee, Cherry Rye, and Bramble.

4. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

If it makes anyone feel any better, my bomber (in brown bag) walked away from the hanger I placed it on right by me under the bar while I was enjoying dinner and discussing the evening's awesomeness.

On the plus side the 6pm snifters are scheduled to arrive at a later date

5. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

That is outrageous. Absolute scumbags.

6. Really not cool

7. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I liked Bell's Bourbon Cherry Stout more, it has more of a tartness bite to it.

I actually feel like Cherry Rye isn't worth the $35 I paid for a bottle (I called 30+ places while I was in Chicago and that was the only place that had it. They had 2 cases of Cherry and Coffee and they were charging $35 for all of them).

8. Damn. That's a lot. Got both for 19.99

9. foobula

I heard from a BA and it may have been a simple mix-up. If so, my memories of today will be nothing but positive.

10. foobula

I actually asked about this during the 6pm session, whether coffee is meant for aging and whether 2012 is more ageable than 2011. The sheer intensity of coffee bean nose/flavor in this year's really surprised me. Laffler insists that Coffee BCS is meant to be consumed within 2 months (despite what the bottle says) and that 2012 is no more ageable than any other year.

A few other thoughts: Rare is awesome. The only thing I feel like I'm missing from the equation is a pour of regular BCBS for comparison. King Henry really tasted thin in the middle of all the BCBS variants. I wish they had started with that one. Cherry Rye tastes very legit: natural cherry, though I didn't get much bourbon from it. Bramble is great, I really enjoyed the tartness of the raspberries. It might be my favorite variant now, and it was my favorite when it came out. Vanilla is very well-integrated, though in my past experience BCBS '11 and '12 have more overall vanilla flavor (along with everything else being more intense). And again, coffee was very intense and I'd like to let the coffee nose moderate a bit before diving in.

Finally, I asked about Wheat Whiskey and Laffler said they got some particular type of barrels and tried to work with them, and it just wasn't working out. Basically that it was a mistake that won't be seeing the light of day.

11. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Agree with this 1000%. This joins the old KBS whale glass for my most ISO glassware.

12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Since all you fucks had a great day yesterday drinking all these goodies, I had to drink a KH to sooth my sorrow... I thought it was still drinking wonderfully, well balanced, plenty of depth to compliment the bourbon and Vanilla. Glad everyone had fun, but wish I could have stuck around and joined in on the barrel aged gang bang.

13. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

I had a great time at the 4pm session despite getting yelled at by the angry old man 3 times....shhhhhhhh! For us sitting by the doors in the back we really couldnt hear what John and the other few brewers were saying they should have had a microphone so everyone could hear.

redsand22 and JakeT469 like this.
  14. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Totally agree man. I might have been sitting across from you at that session. It was really hard to hear what they were saying but it was a really fun experience with outstanding brews nonetheless. Nothin like starting your morning off with a 2011 BCBCS followed by a Night Stalker at 10:30 in the morning. Went to Piece for lunch walked back to GI for the 4pm session then went to Haymarket. Yea I was a lil drunk. Besides spending a shit load of money had a great Black Friday.

Cheers to Vav for the raffle at the castle and to GI for the awesome tasting!

DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  15. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (290) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

Mybad I was at the 2pm sessioned not the 4pm session....too many beers I had I dont even know what session I was at...lol

Rizdac and foobula like this.
  16. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Actually, i did: The glass i gave back to Goose to make sure all you guys and gals got your glasses that could. And i popped the bottle of 09 at the table after i finished my six samples :D

17. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (285) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

Too funny! I was at the 2:00 pm session and after reading your earlier post I was wondering if that same guy telling everyone to be quiet stayed for the 4:00 pm session. We were sitting second from the end on the table next to the wall without windows and I agree it was difficult to hear the brewers at times, but at the end one of the brewers came over to offer us an opportunity to ask any questions. I thought that was a really nice gesture.

I was truly hoping I wouldn't like it much, but Cherry was one of my favorites. The cherry flavor was very natural, not artificial whatsoever. I sure hope it makes it to Milwaukee.

Overall, the event was a blast in my opinion and definitely worth the money! I can't imagine ever having an opportunity again to taste all of those amazing beers in one sitting.

18. It was rebel yell barrels. He said it was too hot so they blended the beer into 2012 BCS for something like 3% of the total. Also mentioned that there are a ton of spent bourbon county barrels filled with barleywine for a 2013 release. And I kinda remember something about commercially releasing Scarlett under a different name which would be great.

foobula likes this.
  19. True story, he shared his bottle with about six of us. I don't think you can find a nicer guy.

tcman128 likes this.
  20. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Is there a more polarizing beer? It's either your favorite or u hate it.

21. burica2020

Edit......then cherry bcs?

22. 2 PM session was a blast, cheers to the dudes and lady sitting by me that made a great event even better...thanks for not leaving with your beer when the old dude yelled at us :D

smurfbeer likes this.
  23. This. I don't think it's worth the chase at all, and the people I talked to either completely agreed or completely loved it. I'd take coffee over cherry in a heartbeat.

24. burica2020

I'm with u

25. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (210) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

I was in that group too, although I wish people were a bit more quiet, he didnt have to go to that extent. It was a lot of fun and that just added to it!

26. Any word if they are just filling the spent 2012 BCBS barrels with te barleywine. Because logic would say that would yield the same amount of barleywine as this current batch of BCBS. Which would be awesome.

27. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I was sitting directly across from the older guy who screamed out death threats to people if they wouldn't shut up. I'd agree it was irritating with all the chatter in the background, but I could also see how many people probably couldn't hear what was being said by Laffler. I guarantee you all didn't hear Laffler say "okay well THAT'S too much man" when he was yelling. Haha...it was over the top, but definitely added to the experience.

28. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Good for the old man. Had to put up with sh*t like that his whole life probably.Tired of being passive and accommodating like everyone else would have been.

yojimbo1, pmoney and foobula like this.
  29. That was not reflective of the situation, but I did like the video you posted. This was a beer tasting event; hence many people were enjoying the beer and discussing their thoughts on it. That is what happens in social settings when you enjoy the company of others. It was not a case of a couple rowdy individuals ruining the event for all.

Too bad you had to sell your tickets because it was a great event; but it looks like you at least got the snifter, which is really nice.

smurfbeer likes this.
  30. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

During the 4p session they said they have filled 700 barrels with barleywine so far.

MarkIntihar and DBCOACHEMUP like this.
  31. Tony412

Tony412 Savant (255) Michigan Jan 26, 2012

Was anyone else underwhelmed with Vanilla on Friday? I have read quite a few people say how fantastic they thought it was, maybe I wasn't able to pick up what they were tasting, it was my least favorite sample of the day. I feel like it held fewer vanilla notes than a fresh BCBS, just my thoughts anyway. Great event, killer glassware, great people, Laffler was informative, yelling old man was intense but certainly memorable - I had a great time.

foobula likes this.
  32. pmoney

Absolutely not. Every single time I get to taste Vanilla, I'm reminded why it's my favorite beer of all time.

33. I will join you on this. I enjoyed vanilla immensely on tap at fountainhead for craft beer week, but I got minimal vanilla flavor Friday. After rare and cherry, bramble was definitely my favorite.

34. pmoney

You may have drank it too cold. My buddy drank his early in the tasting and said he didn't get much vanilla flavor. I nursed mine and saved it for last. When I gave him a taste of mine after it warmed up for an hour, he was blown away.

35. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I in no way agree with you. Friday's event confirmed my thinking the whole time that Vanilla is the best variant to date.

MarkIntihar, pmoney and crushedvol like this.
  36. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I'm not going to go back and read through to find who said it, but Bramble is really coming together at the moment. I thought it was super medicinal when it first came out, but now the berries are blending beautifully with the base beer.

robbiemoy13, MarkIntihar and pmoney like this.
  37. foobula

That's what I've been saying since I had vanilla and regular BCBS on back-to-back nights a few months ago (pre-BCBS 2012). While I have developed a new appreciation for vanilla each time I have it, in terms of being well-integrated into the beer, I don't find it particularly heavy on vanilla compared to fresh BCBS.

My bottom line is that vanilla BCBS seems like a more balanced, easier-drinking beer, while fresh BCBS has more vanilla, along with more of everything else (sweetness, coffee, chocolate, booze, et al.) Vanilla BCBS is slightly disappointing if you expect it to be a vanilla bomb.

38. foobula

I was really impressed with the bramble I had Friday, compared to the bramble I had a few weeks ago from my pantry. The raspberry tartness really set it apart, and was more than I got from my own bottle. I'm going to crack another one open soon, hoping that room temp storage hasn't ruined my stash.

EDIT: The Bramble Rye/chocolate cake pairing was the best of the event, IMO.

Treebs and pmoney like this.
  39. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

It was a vanilla bomb when it was released fresh but has since 2 years later fallen way off! It is just like coffee meant to be drank fresh to enjoy full taste of the added ingredient.

StoutFest likes this.
  40. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

This is what's great about beer - everyone has their personal preferences. I was underwhelmed by Vanilla on Friday, and the 4 or 5 times I had it on tap during Chicago craft beer week. Conversely, Bramble was my favorite, which seems to be the least appreciated variant.

I just have an affinity for fruit infused BA beers. Cherry AftW might be my favorite beer of all time.

Tony412 likes this.