Goose Island Black Friday 2012 - sexy details

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Homer. *you live in Vanillatown*

MarkIntihar and lurchingbeast like this.
  2. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Adam from the Wood? I had to Google it. :)

3. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

How do the bramble and the Cherry Rye compare to the Caftw? I too love it to no end but haven't had the Goose Island Cherry variants. Jealous of the event by the way.

4. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

They're really completely different experiences, but for me, I really appreciate the way tart fruits interact with the bourbon barrel oakiness and sweetness. Some find this contrast to be cough syurp-like and medicinal, but I just cant get enough of it.

Aged Adam has a smokiness and burnt sugar flavor that BCBS just doesn't have. I love Cherry AftW because of the balance between tart cherry and the smoky flavors in the base beer. Just a tremendously complex brew. Even "regular" Adam is incredible after a two or so years.

Bramble and Cherry Rye have that same tart sweetness of the fruit up front, but the mid-palate fades to everything you love about regular bourbon county (molasses, oak, vanilla), and finishes with that hot bourbon burn. That heat with the sweetness of the fruit is just something that I love about those beers.

Disclaimer: tart cherries, raspberries, and blackberries are my favorite fruits outside of beers

5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Unlike Coffee which oxidizes in a negative way, the Vanilla just faded so that folks like me (who thought it smelled like Yankee candle fresh) are really enjoying it 2 years out from its release.

Cheers!

lurchingbeast likes this.
  6. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (325) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

Anyone receive phone calls yet from Goose Island about when we can pick up our Glassware?

7. jwLgd

jwLgd Aficionado (115) Ohio Oct 9, 2011

8. foobula

Huge props to BA lurker Scott who used superb detective skills to reunite me with my BCS bomber. Happy happy joy joy!

9. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (380) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

"Hey man, did some thorough analysis - fingerprinting, blood spatter, the works. Turns out I stole your bomber from under your bar stool while you were sitting in it."

- Scott

MarcatGSB, foobula and lurchingbeast like this.
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Good to hear.

My story also has a happy ending as I got my bomber and BCS glass thanks to the very nice management at GI Clybourn.

Vav, MarkIntihar, burica2020 and 2 others like this.
  11. foobula

Lol ok here's the story. I get out of the 6pm session and sit down at an empty stool at a corner of GI's bar which has a lonely-looking jacket sitting there, ownerless. I need a hook for my brown bag with bomber so place it under this jacket which doesn't look like it's going anywhere. In the meantime on the perpendicular side of the bar I chat with a couple of cool guys, one of whom I later learn is named Scott. Chat beer for a while, I mention posting on BA this morning about cherry rye @ south loop. Scott and buddy take off and I fail to notice hat he grabs the jacket and bag right next to my seat. He assumed it was his bag, I later assume it's stolen. Thankfully he gets home and realizes he has two bombers and proceeds to track down rightful owner through aforementioned BA post. So simple misunderstanding.

My bad? His bad? As I told him, none of us were particularly clear-headed at that point:D

12. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Your bad... He's a saint.

Protect the beer people. I have little sympathy for guys who lose track of their beers at releases/tasting events, especially you Frank. :D

13. foobula

Fair enough. I looked down on all the folks complaining about stolen Dark Lord '12 bombers. Now I know what it feels like, thankfully with happier results. The reality is sometimes your #1 priority isn't the beer, it's socializing. And if the beer walks away, you'll grieve its loss and live to drink another beer, another day.

And yes, Scott's a saint! Or a guardian angel, even. He got some stuff from my cellar for his much-appreciated efforts.

dvelcich likes this.
  14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

We couldn't all take off at 1:30. Some of us had to do some real drinking.

15. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

stolen dark lord '12? joke's on the thief.

redsand22, jegross2, tbadiuk and 5 others like this.
  16. those pours look awfully small for 70 bucks....refills i hope?

17. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

Bomber of 09 bourbon county - $20
    Bourbon County Glass - $10
    Meeting someone who's job title is "Barrel Wrangler" - Priceless

seriously though worth every penny

libbey, XmnwildX12, jegross2 and 5 others like this.
  18. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

They're standard beer academy pour sizes. This is why I wasn't too anxious to get in on the event.

19. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

my dark lord wasnt stolen but my rye'd the lightning was.... I think I was more P'd about that especially too since I think it was the dude I gave a decent sample of my Abraxas too.

20. burica2020

not this again..... you guys missed out on an awesome event that really wasn't overpriced considering the little speeches, brewing lessons, and amazing deserts no one is talking about. I probably would have paid a hundred bucks but only if you could guarantee that scary guy would scream at people talking again too.

redsand22 likes this.
  21. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Yeah those were legit desserts. Prob a $8 value if you bought the three of them from a pastry shop.

So here is how it shook out for me.

$20 2009 BCS
    $10 BCS snifter
    $8 desserts

Leaves roughly $40 for the tasting and the discussion/lecture. Was a fair deal in my eyes, especially when you consider the Rare pour was worth about $10 on its own. Your own entertainment and enjoyment is worth something too.

22. Tony412

Tony412 Savant (255) Michigan Jan 26, 2012

Rare and KH will never be made again, Laffler has just left GI, this an event that will never be able to be recreated - I'm so happy I was able to go. Fuckin priceless.

foobula and burica2020 like this.
  23. burica2020

three seats over from me was empty and half way through we realized no one was drinking the ghost's samples so the very kind women next to me (Kate or something) decided to grab them and distribute them amongst the people around. My wife was given a rare because she plowed through it first and she was kinda enough to give me half of it... so technically I got 1.5 samples of rare. Thank you mysterious/wondrous kate whomever/wherever u are.

24. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Not arguing the value of the event, but never say it couldn't be recreated as far as the samples go. Goose obviously has a ton of shit stored up as they kept adding new sessions. This may be the only one, or maybe they realized how many people love their beer and were willing to shell out a good amount of money to get it. I could see something like this happening again. Not with Laffler, but everyone was there for the beer and I assume took all the brewer talk as a bonus.

25. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i know you hate them already, just send me your BCBS snifter.

26. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

If anybody needs another 09, the guy that called me sexist (and was reported as a Bad Trader on his other name) has his for trade.

And screw you guys, i totally left the FFF Anny party without any bottles :p

27. ravot

i saw that trade last night. was going to post and link to that bad trader link. you know, as a beware of trader thing for other BA's.

28. I was surprised I didn't see more 09's for trade.

29. airmike

airmike Aficionado (185) Iowa Apr 12, 2011

What was the total ticket sales for this event? It looked like it sold out quick, but then they released more tickets later?

30. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

It goes without saying that Goose Island OBVIOUSLY has a LOT of King Henry, Rare etc. still stocked.

No way in hell they would give away any decent portion of their stash.
    They probably have enough to do 100 more tastings like this and still not blink twice at the stash left over.

Only a matter of time before Rare and King Henry are re-released to select stores/bars.

31. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Seriously doubt they will re-release any Rare / King Henry to stores / bars. Those things are kept for a few reasons including tastings like this one, quality control checks, etc...

Cheers!

dvelcich likes this.
  32. ravot

Sun times article about John leaving mentions that it sold 60 tickets a session for six sessions. 75 bucks a pop.

33. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

10:00, 12:00, 2:00, 4:00, 6:00.

Was there one more?

34. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

5 sessions x 60 tickets x 75$ each = $22,500

Not bad for one day. Beer doesnt cost them hardly anything...Desserts made in house dont cost very much...Labor for a few guys.....Not a bad business venture at all......

They have a pretty penny to spend on Christmas gifts now hehehe

35. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

lol @ the gentleman in the front left. Not making the best use of his $40 lecture... Unless hes texting notes to his gf. Or was it the silky smooth BA voice of laffler that put him to sleep?

36. bradner

bradner Savant (350) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

A while back my friend took a tour of Goose Island and took several pictures from their storage area and at that time they had a lot of King Henry.

37. ravot

Oops. My bad. You are correct.

38. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

No worries dude! I thought you were quoting the article.

39. ravot

So did I. Internet is out at home and was recalling from memory. Iso of a larger phone to Internet.

40. [​IMG]

This pic was taken in the Spring. Look at the pallets of KH on the left.

aefbjo likes this.