1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Aging

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mvdillman, Jan 14, 2013.

1. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (265) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

I bought a 4 pack of Bourbon County in mid October and have been letting it sit. How long should I let it sit to reach its max potential flavor-wise, etc? If there is some for this particular beer...

Thanks
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Drink it. I am being serious. In 3 years if you want to try 2012, trade for some.
  3. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Drink one of them now just to try it. That away you have something to base it on to see how it changes. Fresh it is just really hot. But always tasty.
    Kendo likes this.
  4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

taste is subjective... aging is too. For this beer it seems the general consensus is a year on this beer is when it starts to hit it's sweet spot. I like it fresh. I would pop one every six months or so.
    creepinjeeper and mvdillman like this.
  5. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Drink 1, sit on the other three and drink one each following October.
    Psychmusic, Duff27 and victory4me like this.
  6. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

7. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

just drink it, then go buy central waters bourbon barrel stout and do what people mentioned above.
  8. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

2-3 years, for every vintage.
    Gushue3 and maximum12 like this.
  9. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Only ever had it fresh because i only got 1 4pk last year and drank that up and didnt have a cellar. Got a bunch this year and drank a decent amount. It is amazing now but i imagine itll be even better next year...and the year after.
  10. Recently drank an '08 and an '09.

'08 was good but slightly past its prime. '09 was peaking.
    leftyhyzer likes this.
  11. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Savant (350) Georgia Oct 21, 2004

I bought a 4 pk a few years ago and drank one when I got it then 1 every year til they were gone pretty much amazing every time I had it.
  12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

3 months old already? too late. dump it.
    beerassociate likes this.
  13. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

Was able to grab 3 full cases this year so have been drinking a lot of it fresh. It is a bit hot, but when the temp of the beer gets closer to room temp it smooths that out a bit. Same thing on that note with the Coffee. Before this year i have been drinking one fresh from a four pack and aging the rest. Seems to be about 2 years for me before the alcohol burn isn't a real issue for this particular brew.
  14. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Get another 4-pack, then drink one every 6 months for the next 4 years.
  15. Not hot this year though it wasntas good as the 2009 I had as well. 2009 bombers are an exception it seems. i plan to cellar a couple bottles but can see this years peaking in a year based on how well it is drinking now.
  16. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Sitting on a half case of this and half a case of Central Waters BBS. I plan on drinking one a month, alternating, for the next 2 years. Should be fun and interesting. I have a mixed case of Narwhal and Founders Imperial that I will fill in the gaps with.
  17. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

after a recent tasting in december, 2009 was by far the favorite. however, the beer is still amazing fresh so i'd open one to see how you like it - if you find the beer too hot then wait a year and try again.
  18. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Anyone on here have access to some BCBS? Can't get it here and willing to do a trade! Message me if interested!
  19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Drink it now, I like the chocolaty hotness with the Bourbon , but that' me, I don't want it more mellow. The bottle says to age up to 5 years, but beer in a living thing, it's brewed to drink, can be cellared obviously, but it's meant to be consumed fresh. I've had aged KBS and can tell no difference from fresh, all your putting off IMO is enjoying it now, unless you like to look at aging bottles.
  20. I think I may be in the minority here, but I think Bourbon County is the best when it's super fresh. I'd drink it now! I know a lot of other people love to age theirs', but I don't think it really adds much and the brightness of the flavors fades.
  21. I've heard fresh, 2-3 years, 6 months. In my opinion, it was a little hot and messy fresh (about 1 month after bottle date). But I let is go about another month, had another, and damn it was good. That being said, I'm going to have another here in the near future from the Sept. bottling date I have and see if it kept going. Hopefully I can keep myself away from the others I have to find out the peak age...
  22. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (265) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

I have had this beer on tap before so I have a basis on its taste. I think I'm just gonna pop one open every 6 months to compare.
  23. mynie

mynie Advocate (685) Indiana Jun 22, 2004

I've got an 06 I'm thinking of cracking open sometime soon. I'll let you know how it is.