1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand releases '13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (575) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Mulberries on the tree.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  2. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (355) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

The Wooden Keg in Hagerstown, MD has 4-packs of 2012 BCBS right now... $30. Or, you can buy single bottles for $10 I believe. This was as of this past Monday.
  3. In the new CPL for a Bud Distributor, Cherry Rye was in it again... i dunno if it was just a placeholder or not... doubt they would do it two years.

4. Placeholder. My distributor's CPL lists ALL the beers they have or HAD, or in some cases even what they anticipate getting.
  5. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

foobula said:
    So a GI brewer tells me the 3 variants this year are:
    1. Coffee
    2. Coconut
    3. Mulberry & Marionberry in Rye barrels
    I didn't ask about the status of the barleywine.
    EDIT: This was mentioned earlier in the thread, minus the marionberry aspect (which I had no idea was a real berry, apparently that's the namesake of the embattled ex-mayor.)​
    Sounds about right ;)
    mkurylko and foobula like this.
  6. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

Nice. Will definitely need to get M&M. Would probably pass on Coconut, especially if it's at the $20+ price point as previous variants have been. I'm actually looking forward to BCBCS in 4-packs, better price point and much easier to enjoy when it clocks in at 13.5% abv.
  7. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

I posted this earlier with links to sources. I will quote and remove the two instances of speculation in the post.

Beyond these sourced claims, there is speculation about the use of "marionberries" (Marion blackberries) and a proposed "Backyard Bramble" using two or more of these fruits (mulberries, boysenberries, Marion blackberries).

I know you didn't actually post this, but just so everyone else is clear, "marionberry" is a type of blackberry. I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but of the three states I've lived in in the last ten years, I don't think I ever saw a store selling blackberries which weren't Marion blackberries.

The pedigree can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marionberry#Marionberry_pedigree
    TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  8. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

aasher likes this.
  9. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

these boysenberries smell like boysenberries
  10. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

It can vary a lot but generally its like a tart version of a blackberry. I have a mulberry tree I recommend eating them with ice cream if you can find them. I've been known to use them to fish for carp as well really versital food supposedly they are also ridiculously good for you too. Haven't been a huge fan of the berry flavored BCBS beers but would love to try a mulberry one. Coconut would be so much more epic I think. Oh yeah and one more thing about mulberries do not get them on anything that you don't want to be mulberry colored forever you'd be surprised what you can stain with them.
  11. If you put it in beer, it's a bush:p

(Of course, it's a tree!)
    Herky21 likes this.
  12. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

So I guess no snozberry this year. Damn.
    Local_Yeti, seeswo, ncketchum and 5 others like this.
  13. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

I
    I think that was more of a question for last years release
  14. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

BCMBS
    Bourbon County Mayberry Brand Stout. Each bottle comes with a picture of Barney Fife on the label saying "Nip it in the bud".
  15. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (290) New York Jan 9, 2013

And for the first 100 in line there bottle will be signed by Charlie Murphy!
    Kreko7 and mcrago like this.
  16. Bourbon County Brand Spicy Bacon Chocolate Berry Stout. Just to piss off the people who hate acronyms.
    Also this year's bottle will be pink.
  17. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Savant (375) Nebraska Dec 30, 2012

BCBPBS. Pepto Bottle...
    barleyswine and ERRL710 like this.
  18. Darklight

Darklight Savant (255) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2006

Just do Vanilla again and forget the rest. Please
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Backyard BCBS is a fact.
  20. brywhite

brywhite Savant (310) California Aug 27, 2009

I'm not sure how to break it to you guys but turning BCBS into all these berry variants is like some kind of inverse alchemy. Why can't they just make enough of the standard BCBS to go around?
  21. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (435) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

If you're not drinking from the nipple you're doing it all wrong
  22. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

If they have coconut that will be my main target
  23. FT: Mikkeller Teku Glass
    ISO: Attractive Woman's Nipple
  24. In all seriousness, there IS coconut bcbs in rye barrels @ GI right now. I don't know how much of it, but it's there.
  25. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Yeah they brought it to Bavarian Lodge last spring, it's been around now. Then again, there was also a red wine BCS, an apple brandy BCS, a blackberry BCS and a few others around the same time, doesn't mean they are bottling all of them.

26. Yep. And that red wine version was f'ing delicious. I want a large quantity of that.
  27. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (230) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Thers a lot of bcbs variants in barrels. That's a fact, jack! But nothing confirmed about the release of the new variant. And btw our bdays are 1 day away. Were pretty much brothers. Not really but kinda.
    SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  28. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

Twigs and berries doesn't sound earthly possible.

Maybe twig and berries...
    VictorWisc likes this.
  29. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

I hear it was Bourbon County Berry White - sooooo smooth but instead of getting drunk someone gets pregnant.
  30. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Depends on how the taps are hangin.....
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

We are brothers!
    But no, Backyard BCBS is confirmed. Mulberries, Boysenberries, and Marionberries. 22 oz bottles, super limited quantities.
    leftyhyzer and surfingbeast like this.
  32. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (230) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

I didn't know they made that much of backyard. Nice! My wife loves all fruited bcs variants. Shell be happy.
  33. If this will be super limited, I wonder how much NY will get. We usually get a solid allotment of bourbon county and variants.
  34. BeersAndBears

Just received this info in an email from Goose Island. Nothing new, but nice confirmation.

"the Bourbon County Brand Stout we have aging now in barrels is four times the amount brewed for 2012"
    stooge, josephwa, POTABLE83 and 4 others like this.
  35. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Savant (480) New York Aug 10, 2010

Holy fucking shit! There's still plenty of '12 BCBS floating around...that's insane.
  36. BeersAndBears

For those that asked, here you go:

Hello Mike,

Thanks for stopping by our site! It’s great to hear that you are interested in getting a hold of some of our Bourbon County Brand Stout! I will be happy to tell you more about this fantastic brew.

At this time we haven’t finalized a release date for the Bourbon County Stout and I apologize for any disappointment this may cause. My best advice is to follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GooseIslandBeer for the freshest updates. When the bottles come off the line, we will let folks know about it. You can also visit us at www.GooseIsland.com and click on our Beer Calendar and Beer Finder for the latest updates.

As we have many different brands brewing and a limited capacity, the amount of Bourbon County Brand Stout we brew is small. The beer takes about a year to age, and many are holding their breath for the release.

We are working on improving both our capacity and availability. Our top priority is making BCBS available to more beer lovers this year, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For instance, the Bourbon County Brand Stout we have aging now in barrels is four times the amount brewed for 2012. In the mean-time, I hope you can enjoy our Nut Brown Ale that we released just a few months ago.

Thanks again for getting in touch, Mike. Please let me know if you have more questions. I hope you can enjoy our complex, smoky Bourbon County Brand Stout in the near future!

Cheers,

Stephanie
    Your Friend at Goose Island
    1-800-Goose-Me (1-800-466-7363)
    www.GooseIsland.com
  37. Maybe this will knock $2 off the regular BCBS. Don't expect any price breaks on the flavors.
    brother_kenneth likes this.
  38. The key question I want to know is when, all this sounds great but when does this stuff actually hit store shelves?
    maxcoinage and ash37 like this.

39. there was a ton in NYC as of about a month ago, but various places that had seemingly plenty of it (3 different Whole Foods, Top Hops, 9th Ave) are all out now
    VictorWisc likes this.