1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand releases '13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Same here... All the stores I know had a few left in July are all tapped out.

2. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Yesterday. [J/k]

I'm surprised no one offered up the Smurfberry option on variances for this year's bomber selection...

ERRL710 likes this.
  3. Have them send it to Michigan. ;-)​

4. roger617

roger617 Savant (365) Indiana Jun 1, 2013

I was told the schnozberries are going to make a rare appearance this year.

smithj2154 and Soxfan45 like this.
  5. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

holy shit

Skrypt, brother_kenneth and ASUBeer like this.
  6. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

Kind of weird response considering some of the 2013 BCBS release has already been bottled and is slated for Black Tuesday release: http://instagram.com/p/dP1BuRkD0a/

7. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

yeah, but last year, i believe there were three different bottling dates on bcbs. so maybe the total yield has yet to be determined?

8. Black Tuesday???

9. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (365) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

The 2012 bottlings were August 23, September 6, September 17, September 20, September 27, November 8.

foobula likes this.
  10. Wasn't the 2012 production already something like 5x that of 2011? If so, wow. Kudos to GI.

ASUBeer likes this.
  11. I wonder when we'll see the shortage of bourbon barrels, just as we now see with a number of hops...

smithj2154, PsilohsaiBiN and pmarlowe like this.
  12. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

from source. If GI was turning over 4,000 barrels a year it would only be a 0.4%. I would be surprised if craft beer used 5% of the available fresh new barrels. Some highly desired brands of barrels will be more expensive and harder to get.

VictorWisc likes this.
  13. There are other things now aged in bourbon barrels--coffee, hot sauce, fruit preserves, even pickles, not to mention liquor and wine. And the barrel-aging foodie fad is on the rise. And the numbers are a bit misleading--an increased amount of bourbon is being aged longer, not just for the basic brands (like the ones used later for beer aging) but for premium brands, such as single-barrel and bonded labels (as is the case with all domestic liquor--it's not just bourbon and beer that saw premium brands on the rise over the past decade). There is currently no shortage of wood or barrels, but, if the trends keep up for another decade, that shortage is coming and prices will rise.

salzar likes this.
  14. Its like nobody listens to you if there is no avatar....blessing and a curse.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  15. JGam115

JGam115 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 8, 2013

It's been mentioned and refuted a couple times around the boards, so I thought I'd add more fuel to the fire.

Today, a Chicago blogging site with a twitter handle of the same name (goodbeerhunting) just made a statement that GI is using 25-year Heaven Hill barrels for a new Rare. Not sure if they will continue with the Rare name or call it something else. From the sound of the instagram post, it looks to be a future release. Of course, details are scarce and I haven't seen this being reported elsewhere.

I'm posting from BA's mobile app (which is pretty sweet) and I'm too lazy to switch apps to tag or link info. Sorriez

16. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

FALSE.

Sold in cans only.

17. Heard a hot new rumor about BCBDS - Bourbon County Brand Dip Stout.

Blend of Copenhagen, Skoal, and Redman aged with BCBS in bourbon barrels.

Googs, drgarage, BlackNote and 4 others like this.
  18. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

Bourbon County Barry Sanders. *

*Ages three years short of potential.

19. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (675) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

For the locals, is there BCBS on shelves in Chicago atm or is the demand still too high? I'll be in town in a week and would love to track down a 4 pack if possible.

20. A cat wearing a hat told me
    "they were releasing a variant with SNOZBERRIES" and it will be a monster whale
    also hear about one brewed by oompa loompas with everlasting flavor

21. Seriously lol'd at that one.

22. I'd definitely grab a handful of those cans for sure

23. my god...

24. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I refuse to start screaming like a preteen girl until I hear it from Goose.

25. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

26. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

12-year barrels, not 25-year.

27. and it will be ready in a couple years!

28. Yeah... 12-year makes a lot more sense than 25-year barrels. Those are very few in the US among Bourbon distillers. Now, Scotch, Armagnac and Absinthe could be interesting...

29. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

He says 12 year, but then corrects himself to 25 year. 25 year old barrels are rare, hence why this is going to be the second Rare...

30. So GI confirmed to a BA member via e-mail that they are producing 4x the amount of BCBS than in '12. Wow, I had been told they planned to up production, but did not expect it to be that much. I thought more in the realm of 25-50% more. That's a hell of an increase, not that I'm complaining about it.
    My craft contact at the GI distributor went out to Chicago to visit the brewery. He said you could stack the barrels they have 5-6 high and they'd still run the length of 2 city blocks. Guess they have enough barrels to up production by 400%, otherwise there's no reason to do it.
    I would rather see them make more of the Coffee and another variant than just BCBS, though. I look at it this way: last year I got 3cs of BCBS at my store but none of the Coffee or Cherry Rye. If they up production by 400%, instead of seeing 12cs* of BCBS I would rather it be 5cs with 2-3cs of Coffee and 1-2cs of the other variant. Something like that, if it's possible for them to do it.
    *-doesn't mean previous markets see that increase directly as GI may enter new markets, just using numbers to make a point

31. Everything I got out of this thread, is that no one knows anything. Amirite?

32. Its a good sign that Coffee and the Barleywine will be available in four packs.

33. I've been waiting for someone to post this. I jumped for joy when I read it saw the post earlier!

JulianB likes this.
  34. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (300) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

I doubt it. I'm not sure Heaven Hill has any 25 y.o. whiskey right now. If I'm not mistaken, last time they released a 25 year old was Rittenhouse and that was 4 years ago.

35. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Might be able to find an over priced 4 pack, although I don't know where. If you want it on tap, hit up South Loop Binnys. I think their goal was to keep it on tap full time....

36. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

I don't care what they make of what. All regular BCBS would still be my personal release of the year, and the variants just make it more awesome. The base beer is so fantastic, and they layer flavors with the special releases so perfectly, I have a hard time not giggling like a schoolgirl when I think of this whole collection of beers.

That said, I'm hoping to for BCBSL - Bourbon County Brand Stout Lite. Less Filling!

37. I loved the Stone Mint Stout, but I'm not sure mint and bourbon would go together. It'd be like brushing your teeth than doing a shot of bourbon.

38. Hah!

Well, in my head i'm picturing a subtle hint of mint... enough of it where the hints of vanilla from the barrel aging would compliment the taste as a whole and all it's roasty chocolate excellence. I'm not thinking of something that slams the palate right upfront, just the thought of BCBCTS (Bourbon County Brand Colgate Toothpaste Stout) is sickening!

But seriously, I'd dig some Bourbon County Mint Chocolate Stout for sure.

39. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Perennial's BA Mint chocolate stout was pretty tasty. I admit I was thinking he same as you but their version was quite good.

ICCULIS, evilcatfish and Piddmeista like this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Nice, send some to NC.

MightySteede likes this.