1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand releases '13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I am sure we can work something out again Dale ;)

2. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

I wish it would float it's way into my cellar. :)

On that note...I also hope 2013 distribution will be more evenly spread out. It's just as insane that it was gone in a day last year, here in Vt, and it's still sitting on shelves collecting dust all over NY. Makes no sense.

3. Some of it already has! '13 will be here soon!!

4. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (405) Texas Jul 26, 2012

Part of the increase in production is due to expansion to other markets like Texas. (Assuming we actually get any BCBS distro)

5. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Me, too. I think it could possibly be similar to a mint julep but in a beer.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  6. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

if you guys check in the comments, goodbeerhunting said "correction, 25 year"

VictorWisc likes this.
  7. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

If you've tried Perennial BA 17, you'd retract this statement. For your and my sake, I hope a BCS Mint arrives someday. Sooooo good.

Edit: just seeing I've been beaten to this response a couple times. But I still stand by it.

8. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

I had bourbon county through a randall filled with mint. Wasnt a fan of it. mint was too prominent and way too earthy and green tasting.

9. sobeleg

sobeleg Advocate (520) New York Jun 29, 2011

I spoke with one of the GI brewers at a recent event here in NY, and he said Rare would be re-released in late 2014, and that it is currently in 30 year Jim Beam barrels. He also said that the new variant is Mulberry. Take it for what it is worth, but this is what was told to me directly from a GI brewer.

PsilohsaiBiN and VictorWisc like this.
  10. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

Re-releasing a different beer as Rare Bourbon County Stout is an awful idea. I really hope they name it something different and be done with this "rare" nonsense.

11. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Until I see HF and HT in Chicago, your argument is invalid.

12. Sounds like I have some beer to try and find.

13. That's true, the vanilla could mix in well with the mint and chocolate.

14. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I hope some makes it to Houston.

15. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

Untrue...as HF and HT are specifically, and known to be limited in distribution, to Vermont. Goose Island has wide distribution..it just happens to be lopsided.

16. Cody

Cody Aficionado (145) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

So I run a bar in Denver and am currently working with our GI rep on some events. This means everything I am saying is only for CO and may not be true for the rest of the country.

The confirmed (from the rep) variants will be:
    Coffee
    Barleywine
    Backyard Bramble (Mulberry, Marionberry, and boysenberry)

They will be released on Black Friday. Obviously the yield on the variants is less than the standard.

mctizzz and VictorWisc like this.
  17. This one was pretty tasty:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/787/28616

18. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Frankenberry.

19. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

as a KY boy I have to say a mint julep on a hot day at the track works wonderfully.

20. Schlitz built that brewery which opened in 1977, and AB bought it two years later as Schlitz was collapsing. Baldwinsville is simply a +7 million barrel capacity standard Anhueser Busch brewery, one of two AB plants which now brew much of the regular GI line-up (the 8.5m bbl. Ft. Collins, CO brewery being the other).

21. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Is colorado confirmed for release?

22. mrk829

mrk829 Savant (275) Georgia Aug 1, 2008

I disagree, that was one of if not the worst beer I've ever had- off the top of my head, it has been my only drain pour. I think the flavors were just not blended enough. I'm pretty certain it was not old or infected either.

23. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

Yeah why are we talking about a mediocre beer- at best - when the thread is about Bourbon County?

24. Not much different than Eclipse variants...minus the yearly thing.

25. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

RareR Bourbon County Stout?

26. Maybe they should put Duvel in charge of unnecessary Rare rebranding.:confused:

27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yeah, or Peg's Cantina/Cycle Brewing. Hopefully it wouldn't be infected if that were to be the case.

28. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

I don't understand the comparison. 50/50 doesn't make a "Rare Eclipse" aged in different barrels at different times. The whole premise of Rare was that it was a one-off aged in vintage Pappy barrels. If they want to age BCBS in some other barrels for two years at least call it something new as the beer will be influenced by the different barrels used.

29. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Let's see...Jim Beam Black is "double aged" at eight years. So are these the "Almost Octo-Aged" barrels?

I don't think Beam even produces a 15-year-old bourbon, so take this one with a shaker of salt....

30. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm sure most large distilleries have a few 20+ year old barrels in their rickhouse...If those barrels contain anything that is worth a damn is another thing. Just because a whiskey has been aging in a cask for a long period of time doesn't mean it's going to be fantastic. Lots can happen.

31. mrk829

mrk829 Savant (275) Georgia Aug 1, 2008

because there was speculation of a mint chock BCBS

32. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Advocate (545) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

any idea what spots in Kentucky will get this. i am mapping my drive

33. We still have some down here. I could maybe gather up a few and bring it to the HF release...

34. Damn, so they are bottling a bit later than last year. The 2012 BCBS I have was bottled on 8/23.

35. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

It's almost Lindley Park and Event Horizion time, I'll look ya up.

ASUBeer likes this.
  36. Nope! All their choices are aged between 4 and 8 years. But it's a good thing GI didn't use the barrels from Devil's Cut--it's 6-yr old and has all the right flavor's, but its distinction is extracting everything from the wood, which would leave little character for reuse.

37. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Savant (320) Iowa Apr 25, 2013

I do that on a regular basis regardless, especially when people poke my belly button

evilcatfish and J-Sauce like this.
  38. lovethebelgians

What was the Stone Mint variation called and would I ever find any of it?

39. TMI

40. lovethebelgians

It looks that way don't it