1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand releases '13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Aug 29, 2013.

1. http://instagram.com/p/dP1BuRkD0a/#
    supposedly black Friday but if they were bottled two weeks ago I don't get why they would wait months to release it
  2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_julep man southerners must like brushing their teeth then doing a shot of bourbon to come up with that drink. Try one its actually pretty good.

Edit: New Variant BCBMJS (bourbon county brand mint julep stout)
    maxcoinage likes this.
  3. Actually, it doesn't--you're just not paying attention. Aside from coffee, we now are rather sure of one flavor, but still getting mixed messages on the other one--or whether the other one exists or not.
  4. Okay so who from GI actually confirmed that coffee is happening?
  5. On this thread? Nobody--it's all third hand. But a lot more reliable third hand than what we've had previously. And, if you follow the journalistic principles, two independent third-hand confirmations is sufficient for a lead story.
  6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

[quIte="ohiobeer29, post: 1686120, member: 716308"]any idea what spots in Kentucky will get this. i am mapping my drive[/quote]
    If its like last year all big liquor stores. Go to springhurst liquor barn, great selection and they'll have it.
  7. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Exactly!
  8. Can we get a peak @ the label???
    evilcatfish likes this.
  9. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I wasn't necessarily sticking to actual Jim Beam-branded bourbon, but the other brands produced by the company as well. But even then, Knob Creek is nine years old and I don't think they sell anything older than that.

Of course, you could take a Beam white label barrel and let it sit around for 26 years after dumping and call it a 30-year-old barrel.... ;)
    VictorWisc likes this.
  10. bourbon county maple
    evilcatfish likes this.
  11. Eclipse is still a barrel aged Totality, no matter which distillery / brand the barrel came from. Any Rare could be considered that say if A) aged for 2 years B) using barrels over 20 years for example. No need to argue over the name of a great beer though!
  12. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

The idea with Rare was the time that the beer was aged in the barrels...not the brand of barrels.
  13. snmj412

snmj412 Initiate (10) Connecticut Aug 28, 2013

When does the BCBS come out as far as releasing dates?
  14. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

Uhh, that's exactly opposite of the truth. The focus was on the barrels used. The box even says so: "Extremely rare, the barrels were filled with Bourbon County Stout."
  15. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

that's what someone on here said
  16. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

If its like last year all big liquor stores. Go to springhurst liquor barn, great selection and they'll have it.[/quote]
    awesome i was thinking of going to party source too pretty sure they will get it
  17. Cody

Cody Aficionado (135) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

Yes Colorado is confirmed definitely. I am already planning events with the local GI rep.

My local rep has as well as another BA's post including his correspondence with the brewery.
  18. Stone Mint Chocolate Stout

It was a solid beer, but I had problems really finding any of it last year, so it may be a bit tough for sure to find, now.
  19. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/85497
    Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Was really tasty. Was released a few years ago so the only way to get it now is through trade I believe. I wouldn't mind finding a couple more.
    ufmj likes this.
  20. I have yet to try a mint julep yet. Seems like I need to make a trip to Kentucky.
    tronto likes this.
  21. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

awesome i was thinking of going to party source too pretty sure they will get it[/quote]
    actually party source is pretty weak, they probably won't have it.
  22. OPSippin

OPSippin Aficionado (135) Illinois Sep 18, 2012

The labels for the barleywine and the coffee we've seen leaked are both 12 oz., right? So if above speculation is correct, "Backyard Bramble" will be the only bomber this year? Interesting.

Admittedly this is all speculation, but I bet it will just be the variants released on Black Friday. That's the way it went last year and I'm betting it will be the same this year. Waiting until late November would mean a lot of product sitting in storage and none on store shelves for a very large chunk of the fall "stout season."
  23. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

So why is Goose telling people regular BCBS will be released on Black Friday?
  24. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

The variants come out after regular. Do people have short term memory loss?
  25. Googs

Googs Savant (310) New York Apr 19, 2012

Saw this..
    news from a buddy that spoke to a Goose Head Brewmaster tonight...

This year...
    Bourbon County
    BC Varieties:
    Coffee
    Barleywine
    Backyard Rye (mulberry, boysenberry and marionberry)
    Coconut Rye

also a new sister fruit lambic in the near term...

Long term...
    They just got in 200+ barrels of Pappy avg age 31yrs for Rare...brewing soon and will come out in 2 years.

excited!!!!
    ChesterHop, Sesmu and kpanter like this.
  26. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (370) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Interesting that you mention mint and bourbon, as that was a major note I got in 4 Roses Small Batch.
  27. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

There is no 31 year PVW
  28. evilc

Did you read "avg age"?
  29. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (390) Texas May 14, 2013

At least hopefully on tap somewhere
  30. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

Your buddy is a liar.
  31. It would be strange for them to wait until black friday. I remember getting bourbon county in Michigan the first week of October last year.
  32. evilc

I had it shipped to me in California and on my doorstep October 5. Bet it's out soon.
  33. I am assuming the "fruit beer" is their peach sour coming out in October.
  34. Just because it's news-worthy doesn't mean it's true; if that were the case Bigfoot would have been found by now
  35. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Brewers are required to submit their labels for review approval. This is a public process, and labels are released to the public. The label for Coffee is publicly available, it is stamped "2013" on it and it says the contents in the package are 12 fluid ounces. Translation: Goose Island is making Coffee, it is going to be released in 2013, it is going to be available in 12oz bottles, and therefore it is highly likely it will be sold in four-packs.

Hope that clears things up. Here is the officially , legally confirmed label for Bourbon County Coffee:

[​IMG]
    phishbfm, dar482, Ristaccia and 10 others like this.
  36. Cody

Cody Aficionado (135) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

Any chance the "fruit beer" is just Matilda Lambicus that was release or possibly one of the three sisters?
  37. Dupage25

They have two new beers with label approval, one of which was slated to come out last year (Gillian). The other is indeed Halia, the peach sour.

Gillian was formerly known as Scully.
    [​IMG]

And Halia was formerly know as Mae.
    [​IMG]

And I don't live in Illinois anymore, so I likely won't see either. Damn you all.....
    Rollzroyce21 and brother_kenneth like this.
  38. Dupage25

See my previous post. The new fruit beers are Gillian (formerly Scully) and Halia (formerly Mae).
  39. Googs

Googs Savant (310) New York Apr 19, 2012

Yeah? Do you know anything I don't?
  40. There's still realistic speculation about coconut or coconut rye. Why do people keep asking the same questions over and over, without reading the entire thread? What is this? A Ron Paul Fan Forum?

Just read the pertinent comments on preceding pages before passing judgment of this sort. I found several comments--especially the repeating themes--compelling enough. YMMV
    cjoc83, bcm75 and charlzm like this.