1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand releases '13

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Bigfoot has been found!
  2. Nothing here is incorrect. Some of it I've been posting about for over a month.

Bourbon County Genuine Draft (regular BCS) I'm told won't come out for awhile. Despite the fact they have already bottled some and it tastes fantastic.
    Rau71 likes this.
  3. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

When I can buy this stuff in bottles in Los Angeles again (as I used to be able to in years passed, but not since 2009, I believe), then I'll get excited. With Bud making a huge effort to push this beer out here this year (multiple events all over town in some of the craftiest craft beer bars we have), I'm hopeful BCS will once again grace our shelves...
    vurt likes this.
  4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

If I had to guess, a lot of retailers will break up the 4 packs and sell them as 1 or 2 bottle limits
  5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Oh yeah, almost certainly. Will be nice for people who aren't alcoholics though. :)
  6. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

If it means more people get to buy some then I'm all for it. I feel like coffee was easy to get last year in bombers anyway
  7. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

"vintage" doesn't mean old. It means a specific year.

Wow! With every news the barrels get older and older. Soon we will be talking about 100 year old bourbon barrels.

But it implies that there were 30+ year old Van Winkle releases. And in big quantities at that. Can't recall any. Not saying they don't exist though, but...
  8. Clearly you are very susceptible to clever marketing in commercials from Jim Beam
    cjoc83 likes this.
  9. Not commercials--descriptions on their website and from other sources. It may all be bogus, but any tempering with the wood would still make barrels unusable for aging. I haven't seen the TV spots although I do know that they exist. BTW I've seen similarly bogus claims from breweries about beer, so let's not get carried away there...
  10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Dear Budweiser. Please send Bourbon County and all its' variants to Texas this year. In bottles. Or I will get a group of Texas BAs with a Uhaul and clean out Arkansas. If Arkansas doesn't get any... we keep driving north till we get to Illinois.

Thank you. Love, Rob.
  11. From what I have heard the 2 variants, besides coffee, are backyard rye and coconut (bourbon). If bcbs is released the same time as last year it should be out in the next few weeks!
  12. kodt

kodt Savant (475) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

They said Black Friday.
  13. roger617

roger617 Savant (365) Indiana Jun 1, 2013

Do they sell on premise at the brewery, or solely through distributors?
  14. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Savant (250) Iowa Apr 25, 2013

I still don't believe you. (sarc)
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  15. I always hate on black friday sending my wife to Target at 4 AM to get gifts for the kids while i go to a liquor store or brewery at 4AM to get beer for myself
  16. kodt

kodt Savant (475) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I hate black friday shopping in general, but at least I should be off work. I hate missing out on beer releases b/c the beer chasers cleaned out the shops while I was at work.
    PopnLoads likes this.
  17. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Bourbon county snozberries brand stout. Heard this from an uncle of a retire middle school teacher, that once heard this from a monkey trainer in Long Island, that knows a guy that bottled on the lines at goose island in 2010. 100% fact, thread closed.
  18. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

I think the brewpubs usually sell some to-go, but at bar markup. The brewery itself doesn't sell beer.
  19. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

We don't get that kind of beer here. Move along sir, move along. I heard Tennessee and Bama have a bunch and they don't like it, so they are selling it all at half price to make room for Chellada and Bud Black.
  20. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Where is this information? So everything is released the same time this year? BCBS usually hits a few weeks prior to the variants and coffee.
  21. nknauz

nknauz Aficionado (165) Illinois Apr 28, 2011

I have heard of the rare rumor, and it has been confirmed to me that they are Extremely old heaven hill barrels, and some are already filled and ready for 2015. Kind of like barley wine is not in pappy, and not called king henry, who knows what this heaven hill aged batch will be called, or how much will be bottled.
  22. 200 barrels full.
  23. nknauz

not sure amount of barrels
  24. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

maybe you or someone else knows but what does the age of the barrel have to do with anything?
  25. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

longer the age, more flavor?
  26. I hate myself for reading this thread on a daily basis: so much love for BCBS, so little information
    Gosox8787, Thurgoft, ERRL710 and 10 others like this.
  27. Dupage25

Indicates high quality wood.
  28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

We will pillage your BCBS in the name of Davy Crockett and visit your very educational Bill Clinton Presidental Library!
  29. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

ahhh thank you. Although at this point, wouldn't the majority of the bourbon in the wood be lost?
  30. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

so, does anybody have any information on what the variants might be this year? sheesh....

at least we aren't talking about trade value yet
  31. I stupidierer for reading this thread, thanks again Chicago!
  32. Well damn. That's so long from now.
  33. I still kind of find it hard to believe. Wonder why they are doing it different this year. Psychologically I find it easier to give them a lot of money over the course of a couple months instead of a lot of money in one day
    kawilliams81 and Davihaw like this.
  34. there better be more Purple Drank BCS or I am going to be upset
    cjoc83, fujindemon74 and PopnLoads like this.
  35. Dupage25

What do you mean exactly? If we are talking about the stout, the main variable is how quickly Goose was able to get the barrels from whoever, not how old the barrels are. The sooner the less likely it is for the whiskey to have evaporated.
  36. nknauz

The age is how long whiskey or bourbon has been aged in the barrel. The longer the aging the smoother the bourbon usually. plus more complex flavor characteristics. when adding the stout, the wood has kept those characteristics and then slowly integrates with the beer while it is aging.
    jplopez21 likes this.
  37. Actually, all of the information is there.

38. The barrels being spoken of are 30 year old EVAN WILLIAMS barrels. A bourbon for the Japan market.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  39. Dupage25

They could use 30-year Jim Beam barrels for all I care. I don't care about Rare 2.0, what matters is that they make it to King Henry 3.0. There was barely any whiskey flavor left in the barrels by the time King Henry went into them, what matters is 20+ years of aging whiskey and then 2+ years of aging stout in them first. Brand is irrelevant by the time the barleywine goes in.