1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout to be available year-round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BeerBuckeye, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (420) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This is most excellent news. While I've never had BCS of any type, I hear only good things about it.

3. newk340

newk340 Savant (260) Wisconsin May 29, 2010

Hopefully the quality doesn't take a hit as a result of "mass production"...

4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

while i do think A-B ownership will ultimately lead to bottom-line chasing and an associated decrease in quality, i doubt that this is an example of it. i'm sure the limiting factor for BCBS was simply space (and demand, before a year or so ago)... i doubt the brewmaster and employees will really have to cut any corners to tend to a new warehouse of BCBS, but i could be wrong.

i think their accumulated knowledge of barrel aging should be more than sufficient for large expansion--which itself probably isn't that large in comparison to the kind of expansion needed to up flagship beer production. (shrug)

5. i'm sure that all the people who threatened to boycott abi products will stick to their guns so that the rest of us will have an easy time finding bcbs.

6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Holy shit! I'm so excited!

7. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I can't even fathom this... And by year round to they mean it'll be as easy to get as Goose Island Honkers Ale or how easy it will be to get Pliny in California?

MadTown22 likes this.
  8. Great news, and just in time as they've recently started getting bottles into NJ.

volta likes this.
  9. We get 'em in RI too now, so I am jazzed for this.

10. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Whoa.... This is insane.

MagillaGriller likes this.
  11. This is good news! As another BA pointed out earlier, as long as the increase in volume doesn't have a negative impact on quality, BAs everywhere should be excited about getting this ``grand-daddy of all BB-Aged stouts'' more easily.

12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Does this mean we here in can have this awesomeness back in 4pks in CA...PLEASE!!!!!

Cheers!

13. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Wow, sweet. I guess we'll also see a decrease in trade value.

curtind1, jglowe77, gwguest and 2 others like this.
  14. true, large-release distributed midwest beers haven't been commanding much lately.

15. NICE!! Anyone else having trouble loading the link?

16. Nevermind....Malwarebytes was blocking it.

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

it's like i got into a time machine and went back to 2009!!!!

...either that or i will need to race to the store every tuesday to wait for stores to open to get my weekly fix.

VonZipper and Thickfreakness like this.
  18. I want somebody to research the amount of sales inbev makes in CA as an argument to bring it back here again.

19. Amazing news!

20. davey101

If I can buy a case of this every few months I will be a very happy guy. I hate making a four pack last an entire year.

afrokaze and Redrover like this.
  21. nice... love me BCBS... i want them back in CA also...

22. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I don't see this happening until mid-2013 or 2014. They would need to have this in barrels right now to get it our for next year, and I feel like we would've heard about this massive amount of barrels already.

23. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

Let this be an example for more breweries - let the good stuff fill the shelves :D

menkros, DStoked and pschul4 like this.
  24. This is great news! I think this will not be an easy task for GI. I bet BCBS will only see limited distribution to keep up with the sheer volume / high demand placed on this beer. Thats got to be the only way they could pull this superhuman feat off! I cant imagine this beer will not even last five minutes on shelves in 4 pack form at any beer store...ever. No matter how much BCBS that GI can make, I can drink it faster than thier production line can brew, age, bottle, & ship!

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  25. davey101

Maybe we'll see a return to bombers, ala the vintage ales series.

26. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

You avatar is perfect for this :)

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  27. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I will believe this when I see it!

Like the second wave of 2011 bottles getting released in Febuary?? All hype

pschul4 likes this.
  28. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

All they need to do is go to SD and Oakland for the football games and see how much BL is sold.

Cheers!

afrokaze likes this.
  29. Pahn

i haven't bought any GI products since the buyout, though i have reviewed a couple (bottles i already had and bottles split with others).

that said, i would probably buy them for trading partners [and by "probably," i mean i tried to with BCBCS coffee, but my friend in boston could only snag a single bottle]. it's a "soft" boycott, if that makes sense... i prefer not to give them my money, but i acknowledge that we're talking about "don't fuck with the breweries i prefer, you A-B scum!" as opposed to "stop starting wars and relying on child labor [etc] you A-B scum!" if the former is as important as the latter, something's gone wrong.

---

edit: p.s. [whatever] while hurting american small business is bad, and another thing A-B does (they also run sexist ads that bother me), again, the scale of their evil pales in comparison to many easy to identify things that people should be angrier about.

keef and Etan like this.
  30. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

This is outstanding news. I had a feeling something like this might be coming. With the massive new barrel house they would be releasing way too much for a reasonable annual release. My only concern is that the quality of the barrels might necessarily drop because of the massive amount of beer. Presumably they have a barrel budget and they pick out the best ones they can for the money, so when you buy that many more you will get into barrels that arent as great. Whatever. I trust their guys to brew outstanding beer. Will keep buying till I am disappointed.

Etan likes this.
  31. Pahn

i would guess that the written down knowledge and training accumulated at GI is more valuable than a higher budget or more focused time for most other brewers, honestly. (regarding barrel selection and maintenance i mean)

32. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

It definitely is. Having John Laffler as the head of your -bal program is an extraordinary asset.

pschul4 likes this.
  33. BeerBaron

BeerBaron Savant (265) Ohio May 30, 2008

Sweet! maybe I'll finally be able to find some off the shel.....oh wait, nevermind. Silly me, good thing we have a 12% abv cap or else I might drink this beer and then kill someone while DUI

34. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

what they don't tell you is all those new barrels are beechwood ;)

mjryan, JDizzle, njhopspop and 7 others like this.
  35. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

that...is exactly what I was gonna say.. beat me to it! funny though, i've one bottle so I wasn't necessarily worried about it, but I know that some people probably are...

36. I'm licking my chops for Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Light Lime Platinum!

37. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I don't expect a quality decline. I don't think A-B wants to turn the craft beer industry into only making bad beer or something like that; they just want to exploit profitable opportunities in their sector, however possible.

Right now, since this beer is in an echelon of quality that few achieve, it's extremely desirable and so demand for it is relatively inelastic. But, if it falls off a bit and lands in the echelon with a bunch of cheap, widely-available, and non-AB-owned stouts (like maybe Brooklyn Chocolate, Old Raspy, Yeti, BORIS, etc.), then the "crusaders" could easily and realistically "stick to their guns" by not buying it.

Basically, right now it's too good to pass up; but, if that changes and it comes back to the pack, I expect many to choose the similar and non-A-B-owned option.

MagillaGriller and pschul4 like this.
  38. I can't wait for this. I really want to try it, but can't get it. If it gets into Jersey and it's easily found, a short hop over the bridge every now and again will be in order.

39. I don't get why everyone brings up these comments about hoping there's no decrease in quality because AB owns GI. When has AB ever slipped in quality? You are all acting as if Lost Abbey (circa 2008) is managing this expansion.

jgluck, steebo777, harrymel and 6 others like this.
  40. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

This is great news, even if it only means better trading prospects out here in CA if they don't expand distro. Now if KBS would go year round...

br3wmeister and jonbeer89 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.