1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout to be available year-round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BeerBuckeye, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossing my fingers this will again make its way to California eventually.
    alwaysanswerb and ehammond1 like this.
  2. trixdout

trixdout Savant (255) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

This helps poeple from New jersey, like me, to be able to offer beers up for trade for bcbs without giving up half our cellars.
  3. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Not really sure how this is anything short of great news for me. Maybe they'll take another step and KH will be both made again and be available for something other than on-site purchase in Indiana (a neighboring f'ing state).
  4. Only until recently bcbs has been commanding more trade value. For years it was easy to get a decent amount with just some local off the shelf beers.

Make a plentiful beer scarce and suddenly everyone needs to have it. I call it the Fou'Foune Syndrome.
  5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

cough...cough...beatification....cough...cough

i wouldn't expect much to change on the trade forums (people will always want desirable beer for other desirable beer), but it is yet to be seen how available "year round" actually means. pliny is year round and i have some west coast friends who still have trouble landing bottles locally. there is this misconception that just because something is available that people will take any old beer to get it. bottom line is trading costs money for the beer, shipping, extras, etc...you need to motivate someone to spend that cash if you want to set up a trade. best example of this is PNW beers...there aren't a million traders in the area so beers from that region are tough to get since people only have so much in their trading budget and want to trade for beers they want, even if the beer you want is sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

in the past BCBS was a great extra (KBS too), but with stores upping their prices and the demand going through the roof it has lost it's "local" status. even if it sits on the shelves, i doubt it will ever trade the way it used to.
  6. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I'd like to know what PnW beers sit on the shelves here? I've lived in Seattle for 3 years now and NOTHING limited or seasonal "sits on the shelves collecting dust." Pliny is gone in hours...Arctic Devil gone in days...Parabola and Sucaba might sit around but we get a crap ton. Upright, HotD, and Cascade limited releases don't last long (especially the first two). I wish half the beers from here sat on shelves...trust me.
  7. cosmicevan

on the east coast we are led to believe that beer sits on the shelf for you guys and you just don't like to trade.

i know on the east coast parabola and sucaba can be easily gotten for weeks...heck, i scored 6 king henry's about a month or two ago in some random shop.
  8. waltersrj

We definitely like trading! I've done nearly 50 over the last 16 months personally! I traded over half my AftW, BFftW, Cascade limiteds, Upright limiteds, FW, Bruery, etc. I think theres an odd perception that we don't trade but it really isn't true. Everyone I know in Seattle are active and near constant traders! We like to spread our stuff out just as much as anyone else. I'm sure that some people don't do this but I think a majority does. Cheers!
  9. waltersrj

On a note to the OP...I wish BCBS was available like 2008. I could get it all year almost anywhere. Makes me sad now :(
  10. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

The only awesome limited release that did not sell out quickly around Seattle in the past 6 months was Driftwood Singularity, and that was due to the $20 price tag. I was very surprised to see three cases of Arctic Devil at Belmont Station during my visit to Portland last weekend since I felt like I was in the Amazing Race beer geek edition trying to get it in Seattle.

Edit: Ok I saw Fremont Bourbon Abominable kicking around for 2 months, but again the $15 - $18 price was the major factor there.
  11. Was this a press release straight from the brewery? I'm just wondering because I spoke with the GI Rep from around here and she mentioned that they were just upping the release - from 2,000 cases to 17,000 cases - It may make it seem like it's year round because there will be so much more of it but I don't think it is literally going to be year-round. Perhaps she didn't know the full details yet or something, who knows.
  12. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Not a PR, but the implication is that the source is Hall/Porter/Laffler/other GI employee. Notably absent is any mention of when BCBS will be available year-round.
  13. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Damn you AB!! ::shakes fist:: Oh, wait........
  14. This is great news. Went from buying 2 cases of this stuff each year to 2 bottles this year. Can't wait to be able to buy 2 cases again.
  15. kevinv

kevinv Savant (260) Texas Nov 23, 2009

Good news. I'll believe it when I see it though.
  16. bobv

bobv Advocate (505) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Went to the Farrell Distributing (Inbev) wine / beer tasting yesterday in Essex, VT. Goose Island rep said they are upping production to 20,000 cs. Oh, Fiddlehead Porter was very solid!
  17. 4-packs are indeed coming to CA. I spent a couple afternoons with one of the brewers there at GI whereas I was assured this was coming out our way.
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I just hope it gets to the point where you can find vintage four packs at hole in the wall stores again. It will be interesting how people treat the beer after its been year round for six months.
    drewba likes this.
  19. This example?

Get bought by the largest brewing company on the planet which has the excess capacity to brew some of your everyday labels at their breweries around the country, and the money to expand production and capacity at your home brewery.
  20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I hope they start sending some to Washington again, I still have the only two bottles I've ever seen (from 2010) waiting in the cellar...
  21. trixdout

You aren't serious.... What state?
  22. I would imagine they're talking about a cheapening of ingredients. I have not worked at any large food/beverage organization before, but I used to work in the sourcing department of a large company. We had productivity numbers we needed to hit, which sometimes led to product material changes. The decision makers in large companies tend to be very margin sensitive, so that is typically what gets the focus. Even a great margin is never good enough when you're with a company that has to satisfy its shareholders. I'd be somewhat concerned about this, not so much about a change in QC.
    jimmy666 and sacrelicio like this.
  23. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Yup. In Minneapolis up until 2009 you could get it easily, then in 2010 it wasn't shipped to Minnesota at all, and in 2011 it was a ghost.
  24. I don't think the shareholders want a product with decreased quality either though. It reflects badly on the company and that wouldn't be good for their stock price. I have to imagine that In Bev has the resources to have a good margin and competent quality control. It certainly is in their best interest.
  25. self-contradiction #1.

self-contradiction #2. pliny is still easy to trade for and is often extra'ed even though it isn't easy to come by on shelves. why should bcbs and kbs be different?
  26. cosmicevan

Long Island. Granted there are a LOT of stores on LI that aren't really craft spots that occasionally seem to get craft, but there are also plenty of stores that trickle these limited releases out so they aren't snatched up on the first day or week (a practice that i'm very much in favor of).
  27. Mar02x

Mar02x Savant (320) Netherlands Aug 29, 2011

What is your point?
  28. cosmicevan

...and just when i go and unignore you ;) ...

my reply was in response to a comment about how you won't have to give up a lot to attain BCBS. i was referencing that just because something is available doesn't mean that people will trade it, kind of like beatification...which is readily available to some, but just check what it is trading for. seems like a misconception to me. self-contradiction? o_O i think not...cosmic = 1, levi = 0 :oops:

not sure what you are referring to here. i'll deal with each phrase, one at a time. pliny is year round, but not always on the shelf for everyone who gets distribution...no contraction here, just some relevant information related to BCBS going year round and still potentially being difficult to find. heck, pliny doesn't get distributed to NY, but i can easily order it online from more than a few places which makes it relatively easy to get ahold of if i want some and am willing to pay shipping. this has nothing to do with how easy or difficult it is to trade for, just commentary on year round status and difficulty in obtaining based on where you are...speedway is another example. year round, but not always sitting on the shelf.

extras are extras. i still extra BCBS and KBS, but it is harder to extra beers like that when i can only get ahold of 2 bottles (sometimes not even 2) of each when they come out. these used to be "locals" (aka shelf beers that you could buy any time in any quantity you wanted) for evening out $4$, now people look specifically for them in their trade posts. i think it is safe to say that BCBS has lost it's "local" status, don't you? i don't consider beers that people center trades around to be locals (unless ofcourse local for local trades)...but that could just be a difference of opinion. anything can be an extra or a throw in. why should BCBS and KBS be different? are they?

bottom line is we'll have to wait and see, but just because something is year round doesn't mean it will be easy to get and even if it is easy to get, it doesn't mean that people won't still look for limited beers in return.
  29. ah, ok. i misread your comment then. my mistake. we're saying the same thing.

what i was pointing out is that pliny is year-round, but admittedly not easy to get, yet it's still generally considered " available " and thrown in as an extra. 2012 shortage aside, i think it's reasonable to expect bcbs to go that way, even if kbs does not (since it's not necessarily year-round).

i'm generally seeing more and more comments drawing a trading-value dichotomy between similarly available beers based solely on whether they're from the west coast or midwest, and i can't help but argue against that split. it seems rather two-faced to me.
  30. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

trade value is dictated by behavior anyway, rather than bullshit posturing and optimistic public negotiating. if beer A isn't difficult for someone to get, but beer B (which you have) is difficult for that person to get, they (or someone like them) are going to give you beer A for it. even if adrenalin-fueled, starry-eyed BA poster makes an impassioned argument as to why "it really was that hard to obtain."
  31. cosmicevan

if we've learned anything from the beer scene it is that demand is far outpacing supply in this community, so i wouldn't make any assumptions. just ask more than half the people who went to the LeBleu release about making assumptions of the present based on the past or similar releases.

one has nothing to do with the other. beer is beer, doesn't really matter where it comes from. time will tell the true story. AB can go and mess up the beer and then it will sit on shelves forever.
  32. well yes, but that's why i mentioned pliny, so i could confine the narrative to a year-round beer with equivalent (growing) demand to bcbs. single-day releases from tiny breweries that don't distribute aren't an appropriate comparison.

wish that were the story, but as i pointed out a few weeks ago, two 12k releases with similar demand (say bcbcs and beatification) don't trade the same way, and that seems to be true for a number of midwest beers. part of it is that a lot of california traders seem to be uber-generous in sending out / muling bottles, but i am genuinely surprised that people say beatification is hard to get in quantity. from where i'm standing, it's much harder to get bramble, bcbs, and bcbcs in quantity.
  33. trixdout

God dammit. What I hate the most is that I still can't land a single bottle of King Henry. Where as others are getting a few, anywhere from 3-8. Its one thing when people love the taste and want to drink more and don't mind spending the money. Its a totally another when they just snatch up as many bottles for trading. Annoying as all hell. Whatever.
    Shitty part is about KH is that I have to offer up half my rare bottles to even get one of them. I think thats a bit ridiculous.
    travismiller80 and alwaysanswerb like this.
  34. i disagree. my general observation is that if someone comes in to make that argument, very few people will step in to contradict it, especially if they're holding bottles of that same beer. for example, cosmicevan picked up six bottles of king henry, as mentioned above; but the conversation is controlled by midwest traders who loudly (and perhaps falsely) claim they got only 2. and yes, i realize cosmic isn't in the midwest.
  35. cosmicevan

at this point, it is too early to even make the pliny comparison. we have no idea when BCBS will go year round and what that exactly means...also distribution could potentially change, so can the recipe. pliny to BCBS is apples and oranges. i was comparing one release to itself (apples to apples) with my LeBleu comparison. bottom line is demand is growing and by the time this goes year round who knows where demand will be at...for all we know the bubble could've already burst? best to wait and see and not speculate either way.

sorry, missed your post a few weeks ago, i don't stalk your posts like you do mine ;)
  36. cosmicevan

i only have 3 KHs left, but 2 cases or so passed through my hands. KH flew under the radar when it came out by me. i had a harder time getting BCBS than KH. i traded them for some crazy stuff and also some common stuff, even tossed in BIF boxes and as extras.

the 6 i found was also a fluke. they were in a store that should've never got them. i know of others who found multiples recently in stores that probably should not have had KH on the shelf. heck, i got a discount on the 6 i got for taking all 6. from what i have seen and heard, KH was way easier to get on LI than in IL. personal value is based on many things aside from availability and difficulty of obtaining. let's not forget that KH is a hell of a beer.
  37. leblue 2011 to leblue 2012 is just as much apples to oranges as pliny to bcbs.

there are several variables here:

- brewery
    - distribution
    - year
    - demand (arguably redundant to year)

you are saying that by fixing the first 4 and only considering the last 2, it's apples to apples. i am suggesting that 1 to 3 are negligible and the remaining 3 are apples to apples. just a matter of perspective.

and yes, it's speculation. but hey, we're all just killing time.
  38. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

interesting.

i still think this beer is incredibly overrated.
  39. I'm definitely interested to see this go year round. The fact is, as much as I love this beer, it's not one that would ever be a daily or even semi-regular drinker for me. If I had 50 cases of the stuff, if I drank 2 cases myself over the course of a year, I'd be shocked. Even though I'm sure many people would buy BCBS with increased production and distribution, I wonder how much or how frequently the average person would purchase it (I said average, not fuckin' BA beer geek) even if it was available year round. Especially at it's typical cost.
  40. I agree, but this is often not fully considered when the choice is made. Shareholders demand increasing margins. Sometimes products must suffer.
    cosmicevan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.