1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout to be available year-round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BeerBuckeye, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (505) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

You win.

RobertColianni likes this.
  2. Get ready for Budweiser on soak bourbon oak chips with dark malt extract added. Abv 9%. There is your year round BCBS.

3. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Outstanding!! Another blatant, patently dumb generalization from the Halls of Beer Elitism.

Well done! :rolleyes:

4. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Any news on if/when this is coming to fruition yet?

5. There goes the neighborhood

6. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Not in the works. I specifically asked Brett Porter about this a month and a half ago, and he seemed surprised that anyone had ever made this claim. Still going to be an annual release.

forrestbetts and beerranger like this.
  7. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Good to know!

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

the way the LI NY market got flooded this year, i wouldn't be surprised if it is available all year round. although not available in every store, there are still cases of this stuff to be had at many bottle shops.

did you ask brett when they will brew the porter with brett? he has to have tried that.

VonZipper and davey101 like this.
  9. Exactly. This was a year round beer until everybody went nuts on the AB buyout and wiped out shelves stocked with 18 month old bottles. Tons of BCBS rolled in this year, it's still available, and that's even with people hoarding it "just in case". Assuming production continues to increase next year, I can see it starting to get back to how it was 2 years ago, where it sat on shelves year round.

Also, as for the year-round rumor, I believe it stemmed from this article:
    http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php#photo-1

It's long, but the relevant part:
    "The recent lease of a new barrel warehouse on AB's dime has allowed Goose Island to double the size of its barrel program and will soon lead to Bourbon County Stout being made available available year-round. This news will be received well by beer enthusiasts who sometimes wait in lines for hours just for the privilege of purchasing a bottle."

Given the quotes in the article from Porter himself, I'm surprised that Porter would be surprised about hearing somebody say they were expecting BCBS year round.

lonewolfcry and pmarlowe like this.
  10. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I figured he'd heard that one more than once, so I refrained. It was an absolute honor to be on a six-person tour and tasting of the brewery and the three barrel aging facilities on a Friday night with Brett and John Laffler, though. A friend won it in a charity auction, and the two brewers gave us more than four hours of their time that night. We tried to keep the clowning to a minimum.

I suppose it may technically be available year 'round at a few shops. Like the one I saw last week in the Chicago 'burbs that had at least half a dozen cases with an "incredibly rare -- get it now!" sign and a $27.99/four-pack price tag. (And this is a store that hasn't shown a tendency to gouge.) But it won't be brewed or bottled day in and day out (the forklift driver likely crosses himself each time he drives four barrels across Fulton from the "barrelhouse" to the brewery!).

cosmicevan likes this.
  11. and did it ever get to California? I remember reading CA was in the last round of the 4 round geographical shipping areas, but i don't think it ever made it here in late 2012, or since then....

12. Wow, Brett Porter, what a great name for a brewer!

13. i'm a bigger fan of his parents' names, robust and baltic.

14. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Better yet... new local brewery "Solemn Oath's" head brewer is Joe Barley. He's actually the guy in the hat on the front page of BA right now...

cnbrown313 and mrhartounian like this.
  15. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (305) California Apr 27, 2011

whats great about this too, is with expansion it will allow different type of BCS to be experimented with maybe diff barrels or added flavors could be very nice for us.

16. Yeah. What mass produced beer from ImBev ever tasted good? I'm just glad i stashed two 2012 BCBS four-packs away in the cellar. While some are celebrating this decision to have BCBS year round... I cringe.

musicman7070 likes this.
  17. bcmac983

bcmac983 Savant (320) New York Sep 9, 2010

Get your cherry rye stout while you can. The best bourbon county I've had to date.

18. Nope.

19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

comedy gold! literally laughed out loud.

RobertColianni likes this.
  20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

This entire thread is comic gold.

21. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Yeah, it all sounds very good but I'll believe it when I see it. They need to up the distribution to Wisconsin too!

22. Wow, i'd have thought it was available everywhere in the US. There's a bottle shop here in Wales that's taking quite a while to shift theirs, they have tons left.

23. Any variants?

24. They had 2010 Vanilla a few months ago but that was there for a while too.

25. a bottle shop... overflowing with shelf goose island beers... in wales.

i'm just not going to say anything.

26. Not exactly overflowing. Just well stocked and not shifting as fast as it would in the USA.

27. Actually most of them are in the back still in the box, only a few are on the shelf, we are not having trouble shifting it, we just bought enough to see us through as we cant rely on a constant supply, there are also very few beer geeks and even fewer people willing to pay £7 a beer.

28. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

A webshop on the isles had Vanilla literally up until 3 weeks ago. I'll always regret not setting up a contact there :(

Good I got some from my UK trip though, still three of the bad boys sitting in my cellar!

29. Fair deuce then. I just really meant compared to the US where you seem to have it being one of the most demanded beers.

Least it doesn't suffer much being a strong stout from being in the stock room.

30. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

This I am not down with. I like the idea of having the BCBS series as somewhat limited. Especially since they started releasing it where i live in NJ. At the local Wegmans i was able to grab 3 full cases of BCBS this year, and a full case of the Coffee bombers. People have no idea what they are missing here!

31. You bought three cases of BCBS? Wow. What a guy.

32. whats the cost breakdown "out the door" on that?

33. stunning that he's not down with it being year round!

JxExM and davey101 like this.
  34. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Wait... what? I do not think [that word] means what you think it means.

fmccormi and yamar68 like this.
  35. Jaredp

Jaredp Zealot (90) New York Oct 27, 2010

I work in the Food service industry running a beer bar, and have close relations with the Goose Island Guys (Not the Anheuseur Busch guys - they HATE me), and the word from the grapevine is that since AB took over they are mass producing their major brand labels - IPA, Honkers Ale, 312, ect. in AB's breweries across the country. However this opens up their Chicago facility to focus on brewing their smaller batched items such as the Bourbon county series, Matilda, Sophie, Pere Jacques, ect so that their quality in their higher end lines is not diminished by AB and their bottom line focus, so to answer the question, Yes (in theory) the BCS should be available year round, but I have not been told that it will 100%. I hope this helps, if I hear anything from the Goose Island guys I will gladly share with everyone.

36. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

Think that may have come across wrong. Grabbed that much so can parcel out to friends that were able to grab one bottle only this year, and friends that have been going out of their way to send me one bottle, or two bottles from Chicago. Figured i would and could take care of a lot of friends and other people i trade with.

2 cases were sold to friends for exactly what i paid for them, one four pack was sent as a drunken santa gift, and another 4 pack given to neighbor. Not like i'm hoarding it and selling it for profit like so many people do and have done.

In my opinion quality declines when beer is not as "limited" and goes to year round distribution.

37. I was able to buy 1 full case on 1 trip to a Binny's in December (1st time ever) and it came to about $144 with tax.

38. ystazi

ystazi Savant (350) Illinois Jan 5, 2010

I Hope that it will allow them to make more of the other flavors, like Vanilla, Bramble Rye and Cherry. Those are my favorites.

39. I can't believe this thread is still on going.

40. Agreed, but I really can't believe the Kate Day 2013 thread is still alive and kicking.o_O

davey101, pschul4 and crushedvol like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.