1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout to be available year-round

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BeerBuckeye, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

year-round.
  2. Maybe they will actually send some to Washington State. Kind of a bummer that it will be year round though. There will have to be a compromise on quality.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

How available is this staying in Chicago? I'm going in April and wanted to stock back up
  4. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (350) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................................................
  5. IPANinja

IPANinja Disciple (55) Illinois Sep 24, 2010

Sounds great. I just hope the quality doesn't suffer any. Their main man Laffler just bounced out to start Off Color Brewing.
  6. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Just another reason to hate A-B
  7. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

5 years ago BCS was a yer round beer!
    Thickfreakness, tjfilippo and powz87 like this.
  8. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

those were the days
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  9. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

Indeed they were! It could be 85 and I'd go grab a four pack, now you need to take off work nad stalk delivery drivers. It's a great beer but it's all gotten too crazy for me.
  10. FWIW, I've been in NYC 3x since the middle of December. Each time, I bought a 4-pack in a little bodega...each time, there's been a shelf in the cooler that went BCBS-Budweiser-Bud Light-Bud Light variant (f$ck if I know what it was). Had no issue getting it, price was reasonable at $24 each. There was plenty of BCBS there too. So, it's just sitting in a store next to the doritos and Budweiser waiting for me to arrive. Year round is good!

(Still came and went in about a day where I live...but still)
  11. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (280) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

[​IMG]

Looks like this place will have it year-round
    deuce9259, Thickfreakness and tronto like this.
  12. RunningIPA

RunningIPA Zealot (95) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

13. Mars Cheese Castle, just across the border of Illinois into Wisconsin.
  14. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (280) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Bingo. Thought it was misprint until I saw singles for 9.99 above it. Seems they are a few bucks high on most beers but that is insane. That is $2 less than I purchased 5 4packs at a local grocery store. Still feel a tad guilty about it, but I asked for a price check...
  15. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

That comment did a lot to help it stop.
  16. Yoitsluke

Yoitsluke Disciple (70) New Jersey Mar 29, 2012

no chance this beer stays the same.
    rauchfest likes this.
  17. I'm in CT and it's really easy to find BCBS sitting on shelves in basically every beer/liquor store I frequent.
  18. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

This stuff is a drain pour:eek:
    audioserf likes this.
  19. Holy shit! I'm so excited!
  20. maybe i can finally get my hands on some
  21. Eruspoena

Eruspoena Disciple (60) Missouri Dec 10, 2011

Awesome news, great beer.
  22. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (560) Florida Nov 26, 2003

I've been to the Clybourn St. location and they didn't have it nor did the Binny's across the street. We just got Goose Island here in FL in Nov.(?) and my local publicans (Cock & Bull) told me last night they were working on getting some.

I'll take this as very good news and hope the fine folks at Founder's, Three Floyds and Cigar City listen well and start making their best beers available to more than the few who can stand in a long-ass line at the brewery one freaking day a year. CBS, KBS, Dark Lord and Hunahpu should be much more accessible especially when you consider how well rated they are. Stop taunting us and MAKE SOME MORE DAMN BEER!!!!!
  23. br3wmeister

br3wmeister Savant (325) Colorado Dec 24, 2006

I agree, this is excellent news. It will be great to have this beer on the shelves year round.
  24. Spoke with a guy from goose island on Wednesday during one of their vintage tasting classes they were putting on for our distributorship, asked about BCBS being a year around thing going forward now that ABI is handling much of their standard brewing to which he replied something along the lines of " ha, don't believe everything you read on the Internet. It still takes about 9 months to make a batch, that's not going to get faster regardless of how much brewing ABI takes care of."
    MIA4IPA and Willbfun like this.
  25. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Why should they? Look at the idiotic comments on here like, "Now that it will be year-round, it won't be as good." Huh? How often something is available now impacts how it tastes? o_O

Those beers bring a lot of free publicity and buzz to those breweries, and elevate all of their brands in the minds of beer drinkers. So while no, they won't taste any different if they are available year-round, the prestige they bring to the breweries that make them would decline for sure. I'm sure they are hard at work trying to increase their capacity to make those beers, but I doubt they will ever be more than a once-a-year release.
  26. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

If you guys stop buying this beer, it will be a year-round beer. /thread.
    stevegoz and Willbfun like this.

27. That sucks balls. .

Why no bourbon soaked beechwood cubes??!!!
    afrokaze and Tchfunkta like this.
  28. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

both of my local shops have plenty of BCBS on the shelf. I think the AB association is finally catching up to them
  29. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Where as our area barely got any and when it did arrive it lasted maybe a week. I used to see more on the shelves before they became InBev.
  30. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Any beer which increases its production enough and increases distribution enough will leave beer on the shelf. There's no way a company can reach a point where they have a perfect amount of distribution and production. At some point there will be a glut, and the company will adjust accordingly. BCBS is't a bad beer, it's a quality beer imo (having had one bottle of the 2012 version), and although the target audience might be rather limited at this point, yet growing, I could see it growing in the years to come. And it's not like a few bottles that remain will get stale whilst they sit on the shelf. I think ABInbev have found a keeper, although the volumes will never be the same as that of a mainstream volume brand.
  31. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

They might at that price.
  32. ThirstyFace

Long Island NY
  33. ThirstyFace

In this case (my local stores) it is a situation of which no one is buying. Not an issue with perfect distribution being an impossible. Also, shelf life is a moot point. I wasn't talking about the beer going south. Neither did I say it was a bad beer. Also, the audience is fairly wide, relative to the craft market. Mainstream market? Are you hearing voices? Seriously, poor poor comprehension.
  34. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

You did mention the beer's ownership working against it, which I thought seemed strange since the ownership doesnt't work against it as far as taste and quality is concerned. People might not buy it due to its ABInbev connections, which I think is ridicilous, but I'd wager that there are others that would want to buy BCBS regardless of the owner. I wouldn't ignore your experiences where you've found that noone is buying it, which would mean that the brand is dying off. But I think that this experience isn't the whole story. They released 10 000 bottles via the Swedish monopoly here in February, and only 10 or so bottles are left. It's a damned fine beer and alot of people are buying it or want to buy it. Maybe not in every town or city, but enough to where the ABInbev ownership wont be a problem.
  35. ThirstyFace

No, I said "think" the AB association is catching up to them. The beer is the same, for now. I was also speaking to my local market. I have no clue how well the product is moving elsewhere, but in NY the bottles used to fly off the shelf. You had to be diligent. Not KBS diligent, but on point.
    Crusader likes this.
  36. RobDB

RobDB Advocate (560) New Jersey Aug 31, 2009

Curious? Where generally are talking about as I frequently am in CT for work and family reasons.
    chippo33 likes this.
  37. I haven't looked for it in a while (since my post you quoted, really) but I've seen BCBS at BevMax in both Stamford and Norwalk, and at Stew Leonard's liquor store in Norwalk. Lots of 4pks sitting on shelves.
  38. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Is this still sitting at a lot of places in Chicago?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.