1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Coffee and Cherry Rye '12

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Swiderek202, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Got a call from my liquor store connection today and just picked up a BCBS coffee today. When I asked about the Cherry Rye, they did not have or know anything about when, if at all they would be getting it. Does the Coffee and the Cherry Rye have different releases? Has anyone seen or bought the Cherry Rye yet? I am in the south suburbs of Chicago and know about the brewery Black Friday deal but was just wondering about the store releases.

2. Moz

Moz Aficionado (105) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

Check out the BCS has arrived thread. It looks as if some places are only getting
    Coffee and other places are getting both Coffee and Cherry. I'm pretty sure they are being released at the same time though.

whodeyvols likes this.
  3. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Cherry is a much smaller release than Coffee.

4. vic311

vic311 Aficionado (105) Illinois Jan 28, 2012

That is the understatement of the year in Chicago...

TravisMBinns and Gonzoillini like this.
  5. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

My town in the middle of cornfields had 3 cases of Cherry Rye on Monday..... :D
    :D

All gone!

6. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Good for you?

*Side Note* I went to grab a BCBCS today based on the store's BeerMenus price of $19.99. It rang up at $24.99...thank you for the semi-bait and switch Shorewood Wine&Spirits.

7. PlayaPlaya

Thank you.

It is, super good. Cant wait to crack a Cherry tomorrow after the feast!!!!

Its also good that the OP asked "has anybody even bought or seen Cherry yet" ....Obviously I did not answer that question.

8. stxSS07

Oh you definitely did, just in a manner that oozed, "nyah nyah nyah my store got 3 cases:p."

Not looking for a fight, just calling 'em like I see 'em. How many Cherry Rye(s) did you come away with from this store with 3 cases?

9. PlayaPlaya

:D

CHEERS!

10. stxSS07

I'll take that smiley as 3+.

TRADE ONE TO ME.

11. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Dude I almost did the exact same thing. However, having dealt with this guy/store on previous occasions (I work 2 mins down the road from here) I double checked his beermenus page right before I went in and sure enough Tuesday BCBCS price was $19.99 and Wednesday price was $24.99. I said FUCK this guy and got one down the road. I really try and not support this store cuz he's so shady when it comes to limited release stuff and he price gouges like a mofo but its hard to resist when u get limited releases right down the road from your work. Be careful of his shelf beers tho. A lot of that stuff is OLD.

12. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I was showing Shorewood also showing 24.99 and liquor depot showing 19.99 both of which are not showing it stock anymore

13. Just went to the goose island Black Friday event, my top two were the King Henry and coffee. I might consider trading a few 2012 coffees for a king Henry.

14. I have the King Henry's btw

15. HereforBeer

HereforBeer Savant (285) Illinois Nov 21, 2012

Apple Bite Liquor at Broadway and Oakdale has a few Coffees and Cherries left at $20 a piece.

Miska's Liquor at Clark and Fullerton has Coffee for $25, Nightstalker for $12, and regular BCS 4 packs for $28.

ppohio likes this.
  16. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

A big thanks to you for the heads-up. I was out of town for the releases and have never tried these before. I was able to pick up one of each at Apple Bite, and they still have a couple left (3 Coffee and 1 Cherry) if anyone else is looking for it.

17. Moz

Anyone hear of anything in the North or Northwest burbs?

18. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

good luck getting someone to take that trade. I think a coffee vertical from 10 to 12 MIGHT land a king henry. That thing is in the realm of rare on ISO:FT.

19. northernbrews

northernbrews Savant (365) Michigan Apr 12, 2006

Read his next post....he has King Henry and would likely trade it for a few Coffee....

dman5400 likes this.
  20. Cardinal in Niles told me Friday this week is their date they will get delivery.

Beezee likes this.
  21. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

holy shit...... I bet I can get one extra from my buddy for a KH. 2 coffee for a king henry. PM me..... but in hindsight i feel like im taking advantage of someone.

22. I'm waiting to see what I can come up with on my own before considering any trades, I'll keep you guys in the loop!

23. Moz

Funny I just called there and they said they were out. Never know who is telling the truth anymore.

24. WTF!?!?!? I got 1 coffee from the Cardinal store in the city on Black Friday and drove to the Niles one on my way home.....dude told me they get their shipment on Friday next week. Ugh

25. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

I was on a list and the store called me yesterday and said my coffee was in. They weren't getting cherry at all anymore according to their sales rep now. This is the weirdest release. Everybody is saying completely different things... within each store even.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  26. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Story from Foremost Liquors on Ashland:

Girlfriend and I stop in on Sunday morning (as we do nearly every week), and we ask if they are getting any Cherry Rye in. We were told that it will be coming in on Tuesday (yesterday).

Noon rolls around, my girlfriend goes in and inquires about it, and she is told that 'they didn't get it in yet.'

2 PM rolls around, she calls the store and inquires about Cherry Rye - she is told again that 'we haven't gotten it in and we don't know when it will come in.'

I drive to the store at 2:15 PM, go to the cash register and ask if I can purchase the Cherry Rye sitting behind the counter. I am told I certainly can.

After cashing out, I am told that I purchased the last bottle. Upon asking when the shipment came in, I was told it came in earlier in the morning. I then asked why my girlfriend was told something else earlier in the day, to which I received the response that 'you are lucky to have gotten that bottle - there is nothing I can tell you.'

Just weird, bad vibes all around on this one. This isn't about 'entitlement' or anything of the sort - I understand that you can't promise anything over the phone, etc., but when you know a place, and you go there on a regular basis, establish a relationship, etc., and are blatantly lied to as my girlfriend was yesterday, that just leaves a bad taste.

27. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

So did you end up not even getting a Cherry then? Craziness! :(

28. PlayaPlaya

4 cases of Coffee are sitting on the shelves in town....No limit. . . . . .$18.99 each
    Honestly, they'll probably be there for at least a few months.

Man, I love my little town :D

BM/PM me if you want some.
    Got a whole case for myself.

PLAYAPLAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

29. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

No I did get one at my local shop coincidentally

MarkIntihar likes this.
  30. There is nothing else to say but YOU ARE THE MAN, PLAYAPLAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

31. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Super-shady, man. Congrats on at least getting one bottle. I don't get these places that think customers are gullible loners incapable of communicating with one another. I'm guessing they sold most of their bottles to a higher bidder.

32. The beer chasers of the future will need to have advanced training in techniques of interrogation and detection of lies based on vocal intonation/facial expressions.

That future is.... apparently soon? Based on so many similar stories, I'm sometimes MORE surprised when the information I hear on a hot release like this pans out. Misinformation (intentional or otherwise) is rampant. I've not been outright lied to yet, but I can feel it coming.

nicnut45 likes this.
  33. I'll take a case of Coffee, a few CBS, and any other shelf wales at this little town's liquor store :cool:

MichPaul likes this.
  34. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (430) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

What's more interesting is that I got a bottle of Cherry Rye there around 6:15pm last night. I was making small talk with the owner (?) who was working on some inventory sheet and he asked what I was looking for. I said I was just wandering around and we ended up briefly talking about the 1 bottle of 2012 Nightstalker on the GI endcap they have. At that point he asked if I wanted to try the Cherry Rye and, of course, I said sure. He vanished into the back and returned quickly with a semi-chilled bottle. $19.99 + tax out the door. This release has made me shake my head more than a few times already...

35. PlayaPlaya

^^Still got an unopened case of Fruet in the back, they're waiting until they literally have every single Bruery release before they put any Bruery on the shelf.......Nobody said everything has to make sense.

And to those of you asking me WHERE or what store this is that hooks me up....If I told you, the spot would get blowed up and would not have BCBS just sitting on the shelf for months at a time.

And yes, this is the same shop that also has an entire case of Silver Xyauyu just sitting on the shelf.

Life is rough.

36. :goodposting: Love that store.

37. I hear they sell douche at that store and he bought a case of that as well.

38. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

Kentucky, I assume?

39. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

Picked up a coffee at AH Binnys tonight. Was at BG Binnys last night shooting the shit with their beer guy and another customer and as we were leaving the other customer said he heard AH Binnys was getting coffee today. I called there before I left work, they said they had it (no cherry), swung by and picked up a bottle. Super easy. And funny enough, I ran into the guy who tipped me off as I was walking into Binnys. Thanks dude! Good luck with the hunt guys!

40. Found both in the west 'burbs today. At $20 each this is testing my price point. I thought these were values at $11-12 the past few years. $20 is the upper end for me. Another 50% price hike next year and I'm out. You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.