1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Coffee and Cherry Rye '12

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Swiderek202, Nov 22, 2012.

1. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (280) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Was at Naperville waiting for well over an hour. A line developed for which i was near the front. The beer guys comes over and says we can't wait there that because his guys need to get through the aisles. He would take our names and numbers and raffle the cherries which should be in any minute. There was 11 of us there.

Needless to say several of us got stiffed and didn't win the raffle. Somebody who came after we all had waited got mine... Kinda bummed but whatever.
  2. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

hey so they already did the raffle? I DIDNT WIN? And do u know if they ended up gettin coffee?
  3. I stopped in there around 2. I'm sure the crotchety old guy that I gave my raffle ticket to promptly threw it away once he was out of sight. Dude was real pissy that people were in the section buying beer. I guess Nate was on a break when I stopped in.
  4. Torieos

Torieos Aspirant (30) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, they did the raffle already and they did get coffee.
  5. I was the 7th of the original 11. No cherry for me. Back to the hunt.
  6. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

seriously? that makes four folks from the infamous "ORIGINAL 11" that didnt win one!

CONSPIRACY I SAY. I wouldnt be surprised if they only raffled like 4 and split the rest between the dudes that work there
  7. Torieos

Torieos Aspirant (30) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

Ha.. I wouldn't doubt that. I'd feel better about not winning if I'd seen them pull the tickets!
    PDZ likes this.
  8. vasinger

vasinger Aficionado (145) Illinois Sep 28, 2012

Jewel on Southport's got the Coffee as of 10 minutes ago. Pretty darn cheap too. Ya gotta look around for it. It hidden on an end cap.
  9. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

Not too early to call anymore....

I didn't mean to imply that supply would be anywhere near demand, but bcbcs out at jewel?
  10. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

some stores, jewel included, have been drastically upping their craft game. look at what happened to the armitage foodsmart. it was okay before, but they've drastically expanded their selection to the point where they have a giant cooler on the back wall full of it and an additional aisle of shelf.

just because it happens to be inside a major grocery chain doesn't mean that all of the stores in the chain have to sell all of the same product. the jewel by me would probably never carry the stuff, but yours might.

and no, foodsmart didn't have any coffee or cherry when i stopped there today.
    HereforBeer likes this.
  11. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Ive been lazy and havent looked anywhere around Algonquin, anyone seen any today out this way?
  12. Dave at the River North Binnys said he saw two cases (!!) of Cherry Rye (!!!) at the Jewel (!!!!) off DesPlaines and Kinzie last Wednesday (did you pick up on my disbelief/shock?). And we know at least one Walgreens got Cherry Rye, too. I suspect that these stores want some piece of the limited/rare release game and could even be holding shelf space/end caps hostage in order to get them. But no one is suggesting Cherry Rye is easy to get - only that Coffee isn't quite so impossible.

Which, still, isn't to say that there's so much Coffee this year that even Jewel gets it; rather, someone at Jewel, somewhere in the hierarchy, is catching up to the fever that these releases seem to produce.

In case anyone is wondering, the Jewel at Milwaukee & Paulina didn't have anything BCS-related.
  13. sidetracked

sidetracked Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2009

Dominick's at Columbus and Illinois has BCBS in the cooler ($23.99), but I didn't see any Coffee or Cherry Rye.
  14. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I got Coffee at Walgreens on State and Randolph today! Crazy! 19.99....
    SWChi and jegross2 like this.
  15. Thanks dude! You helped me score their last bottle of coffee. :D
    Tony412 likes this.
  16. MegDuf32

MegDuf32 Aficionado (135) Illinois Jan 12, 2011

Liquor Barn in Niles has at least a case.

Was looking through their (limited) selection, and over heard the cashier talking to who I assume was the beer manager. She kept asking "What do I tell people when they call?" and he kept answering "That we didn't get it. I told you" then he goes on to say that he hid it in the back so he can make more $$ in a month. I came out from behind the display and asked if they had any. She looks at him, he looks at me, "We're sold out".

Left what I was going to buy on the counter and walked out.
  17. MC6

MC6 Aficionado (140) Illinois Dec 12, 2008

So, you're telling me that there's a chance . . . . that I could buy some later?
  18. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

Wow - that's shit, dude. I'd have done the same.
  19. MegDuf32

Yeah, it was really bizarre. I can only assume they didn't know I was standing there looking at the beer.

What a bunch of douchebags.
  20. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

You shoulda called them out!! Douchy!!
  21. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

I've had similar experiences with LB, which is why I avoid that place as much as possible.
  22. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

No problem, it's nice to share the info! How much was it there?
  23. $21.99
  24. case of coffee or cherry rye?
  25. Was she cute? Because she sounds dumb. Dumb, cute and works at a beer store is just my type.
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  26. MegDuf32

Haha she was mid 40s and very matronly. And it was the Cherry.
  27. thats just garbage...but I can tell you I'm not even from the Chicago area, but came up for the black friday tasting at GI Clybourn.....called a bunch of places before and after the tasting session last Friday and Best Value Liquors on Roosevelt said they had cherry rye. I couldn't understand the guy on the phone, he was a foreigner, and so I didn't get a price. So, I had a friend call back and ask for the price, and he was told 20.99. So, we took a cab from the brewpub to this place and sure enough they had 2 cases of cherry rye and I think 3 cases of coffee. Cherry Rye was 34.99 and coffee I believe was 24.99....had to pass on them...got fooled hard...never would of spend 20 on a cab if we knew they were 34.99. I would assume the place still has them but maybe not. Not sure if anyone has checked them out.
  28. MegDuf32

I pulled the trigger on one Coffee for 19.99 and one Cherry for 21.99, but I don't think I could justify to my girlfriend spending more than $25. She'd beat me.
  29. Picked up a bottle of Cherry Rye today at Friar Tucks in Bloomington, IL. $19.99. They only received 1 case and are out already. They went through 50 cases of regular BCBS in 6 days back when it was released, so it sells quickly at that store.

Nightstalker was $9.99 and they got at least 2 cases. This stuff will stick around the b/n market for a lot longer though. Try it before you buy more than 1 or 2...
  30. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

just dont post the meme's
    ravot likes this.
  31. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Sorry for the late reply but they had Coffee earlier, I called the one in bloomingdale a few hours ago too and they still had coffee too.
  32. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Wanna play??? I don't.
    Breaking Bad wishes they were me.

[​IMG]

Could have bought more, but I'll leave some for another lucky person.
    Only had 5 cherry left....It is indeed quite limited.
  33. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

:eek:
  34. otrejo

otrejo Savant (270) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Only 1 cherry?
    ravot and averagejake872 like this.
  35. that picture is the perfect ratio of coffee to cherry. I'm happy with what I got. But if I see more of either after I get paid next week you better believe I'll snatch that shit up. Also gonna be on the lookout for the 5050 eclipses....
  36. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I wasnt that impressed with the cherry...I bought one more and gave it to my other beer guy that hooked me up with coffee last year but got jipped out of any this year
  37. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

The guy who runs their twitter page kept saying over and over: "There is no list for Cherry. When it gets in, you can call immediately, and reserve a bottle". So I have their tweets sent directly to me as text messages and wait patiently for a couple days. Eventually I get the alert and I call...

Me: "Can I please reserve a bottle of Cherry Rye?".
    Guy on the phone: "Are you on this list, cuz if not we're out".
    ImperialSnout, nachos and DanH11 like this.
  38. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Excuse me while I make myself some popcorn. This should be good.
  39. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

You motherfuckers love popcorn up in here.

On topic. I spoke to a friend that runs a liquor store. If what she says is true about people constantly calling about this stuff, I would have my store on a voice mail only type situation. Not just the phone calls, but the terrible attitudes and entitlement.

Also, I found one bottle of each. Drank the coffee, it was fantastic. Saving the cherry to share with a friend. That's good enough for me.
  40. I don't doubt the calling......one bit