Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Coffee and Cherry Rye '12

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Swiderek202, Nov 22, 2012.

1. How would Jewel get 2 cases of Cherry, when all Binny's only got 1?

2. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

That is a fucking joke!! I'd have some words with a place like that. I can understand a slight markup, even though these places are already making a decent % per beer anyways, but at what point do you start driving good customers away with this kind of business mentality.

3. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (360) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

Haymarket is a bar and typically bar prices are higher than beer store prices. Not saying it is right but that is what it is.

Zenasdassman likes this.
  4. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

wait! where were people getting botulism?! any in the west burbs?!

Vav likes this.
  5. Shelf prices went up 80% or so, I think $40 at a bar represents a similar increase compared to last year.

6. thereal

thereal Aficionado (200) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Good Christ y'all. A six pack of Two Hearted is about $10. That's $1.67 per beer. A bottle at a bar is $5. Is that highway robbery? No. And neither is a similar mark up on a more expensive bomber of BA beer. That's how bars WORK.

7. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Bell's Cherry Stout wasn't released this year. Also much lower gravity and not barrel aged.

8. Although the bells bourbon barrel cherry at FOBAB was pretty good.

Zaphog likes this.
  9. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

cherry rye and bells cherry stout are so drastically different they're really not worth comparing.

10. Corbet

Corbet Savant (360) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

No, but Bourbon Cherry Stout will be out sooner or later, and I'd rather take the 4 hour trip to Bells when it's released from Chicago and guarantee myself 3 bottles of it.

11. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

By sooner or later you mean next year right?

12. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

and by next year you mean next month, right?

13. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

Next month IS next year. Woah!

TravisMBinns likes this.
  14. REA

REA Aficionado (100) Illinois Jan 5, 2010

Picked up a cherry rye from Teddy's in arlington heights. 28.99 a bottle. They still had some left according to the beer guy there.

15. Lansman

Lansman Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Thanks to Kristina, Cherry Rye was available to my friends this evening at the bar across the street from WLV at $20.49 a bottle

Rizdac and dvelcich like this.
  16. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (260) Illinois May 2, 2011

A case was available at 8pm at Fischmans for 21.99 per bottle

17. Mandark

Mandark Savant (315) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

When I asked Thursday a guy at Teddy's said you had to be a "TLC" member to buy it.

18. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (280) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

On a total side note, was a BYO sushi spot tonite and a guy rolled in with a 4 pack of BCS for him and his date. For one, I found it a very bad mix to eat sushi with. And #2, really, it's that avail that folks are rolling around with 4 packs to eat sushi!!!

JmH and Hugonaut13 like this.
  19. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (375) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

Really now we're concerned with what people pair their "limited" beer with?

20. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (355) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

SE Wisco was fortunate to get Coffee and Cherry, albiet a crazy small amount. The stores I am aware of all reported less that a case of coffee and a max of 1-2 BOTTLES of cherry.

21. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Not sure if there is individual keg variation on this or what, but the Bell's BA Cherry Stout that I had at FOBAB was awful, borderline drain pour.

22. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (455) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I felt the exact same when I had it at the Eccentric Cafe a few months ago, especially when next to BA 9,000.

mattizmyname likes this.
  23. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Savant (260) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

It's gone.

24. yepbye2

yepbye2 Aficionado (185) Illinois Feb 23, 2011

Agreed. I dumped the last ounce or two of mine to save my ABV intake for beers that tasted good. BA Batch 9000 is awesome though.

25. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Savant (260) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

I wasn't able to score a Cherry Rye. Any suggestions for the NW burbs by O'Hare?

26. Aside from seeking out on-premise options (Hopleaf is out; they got six bottles and sold out within an hour once they were available; they were $42/bottle), I can only suggest trading. However, what you would have to give up in trades would, most likely and in my opinion, not be worth it.

27. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

Also in the NW burbs...resigned to not getting any and not willing to pay $40 at a bar

28. bradner

bradner Savant (370) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Now that the hunt for Cherry is winding down in Chicago, you can start looking for bars that have Baudoinia on tap.

PDZ and stevegoz like this.
  29. I managed to score a Cherry Rye today at lunch at the place on the SE corner of Damen and Lawerence. They had them under the counter. Limit one per person. $24.99. Slightly marked up but worth it at this point I think. They also had Coffee. Not sure how many of either are left.

ravot likes this.
  30. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (365) Illinois May 1, 2012

I finally got to try the Cherry Rye last night at Paddy Long's and I was a little bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a delicious beer, but my expectations were probably built up too high based on how hard it has been to chase down in Chicago combined with the fact that I love Bramble and expected Cherry to compete with or possibly even surpass Bramble. For my enjoyment, I think Cherry is equivalent to the much easier to obtain Coffee and totally not worth the effort to hunt down or the ridiculous asking price people are demanding in trades.

My ranking would be Bramble>Vanilla>Cherry=Coffee>Regular

Disclaimer: I have not had Rare.

31. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (355) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Wow, you really like Bramble, eh?

I agree though, glad I got to try Cherry at GI Black Friday. It was very good, but not worth the insanity its caused around here. I'm perfectly happy with a bottle of Coffee and being able to find regular on the shelf just about anywhere I look.

tinypyramids and tjfilippo like this.
  32. zach60614

Yes, I'm a huge fan of fruited BA stouts.
    Bramble is the best example I have had, IMO.

33. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (640) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I've had all of the varients within the past few weeks, some multiple times. My personal opinion is as follows:

Vanilla>Bramble>Rare>Cherry>2012 Coffee>2011 Coffee>Regular>2010 Coffee

34. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I'll throw my hat into the "bramble beats cherry" ring, based on the Black Friday event. The raspberry tartness really adds another dimension to Bramble that's missing from Cherry. However, seeing several untappd checkins for Cherry that claim "on tap is sooo much better than the bottle!" now I have to track it down on tap which might be a tall order. edit: can anyone confirm that the pours at the black friday event were all from bottles?

35. zach60614

I have only had Cherry on tap, it was lacking the tartness I expected.
    I agree the tartness of Bramble is what really puts it above Cherry for my tastes.

36. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

Haven't had Bramble but had Cherry on tap at Paddy's...I had 6 oz pours of vanilla, cherry, and coffee in front of me and had to taste the cherry several times before I believed it was, in fact, cherry. It was way more subtle than I thought it would be...I wanted the tartness to be much more pronounced. It came out more when it warmed up but it was still a little disappointing.

37. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (640) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Yes, the pours were from bottles.

38. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Berkots in new lenox has some coffee...and kenwood in homer glen has a few cases of plain BCBS.

39. Crungy

Crungy Disciple (70) Illinois Oct 14, 2007

I just saw bought a few coffees from a new shipment in the north burbs. Unfortunately, no cherry...

40. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Are you sure it was Cherry Rye and not the BCBS Cherry? I tried the BCBS Cherry in Madison at the Great Taste this summer and felt the exact same way.

Cherry - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/69240

Cherry Rye - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/87402