1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County variants

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mmulebarn, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (475) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

I'm curious which BCBS variants the twin cities received last year. I know of a few people that found the variant, but did any of the more rare varieties make it here? I'm hoping to do some "goose hunting" Black Friday and I'm curious if I will see anything other than BCBS or BCBCS?

2. You'll have to go to Chicago to get anything on Black Friday.

3. mmulebarn

Not really the answer I was looking for.

4. herman77

herman77 Advocate (525) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Think it was just coffee and bramble rye.

5. mmulebarn

I'm hoping to find something other than coffee and standard. Traded an arm and a leg for cherry rye.

6. scruggin

scruggin Aficionado (130) Minnesota Sep 10, 2008

We saw Coffee and Cherry Rye (much less) last year if I remember correctly. I believe the GI press release said all variants except Proprietors (coconut) will be sent to all markets where sale is legal, so we should see limited Coffee, Backyard, and Barleywine. How much is anyone's guess.

7. mmulebarn

I'm guessing zipps and 44th+france are biggest GI sellers in the region and would probably see best selection?

8. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

all of them

9. I was able to get regular, coffee and cherry in MN last year.

10. mmulebarn

You lucky bastard!

11. Ha, only one Cherry, but yeah I was very lucky.

12. put all that trade bait(surly) out there, get all the variants.

pearceweb likes this.
  13. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

but it's true. your black friday hunt will be fruitless if it's bcbs you're looking for.

14. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

It is hitting shelves in Des Moines next Friday. This news comes straight from our local GI distributor, Doll Distribution. Most other markets I've heard are also releasing it next Friday. Strange it's different up in the TC.

15. Hitting the MN Metro 1st week in December. Also was told our allocation is less than 1/2 of last year.

16. mmulebarn

Goose Island must be punishing us for surlys return to Chicago.

Douggo likes this.
  17. I heard some liquior stores maybe getting as little as
    1/5 th of what they got last year.

18. If everyone would've just drank more of this...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/17141

Or others in their regular lineup...we wouldn't find ourselves in this predicament!

Yes...I'm guilty, as charged:cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    striker2160 likes this.
  19. Cherry rye was here last year drank 1 and put 1 in the cellar

20. mmulebarn

Does anyone drink their regular line?

21. It is amazing how good there BCBS is and how bad most of the rest of there lineup is.

MCImes and mmulebarn like this.
  22. Hmmm, so when you say most are you excluding: Night Stalker, Imperial IPA, Big John, Madame Rose, Lolita, Juliet, Gillian, Halia, Sofie, Paradisi, Pere Jacques, The Illinois, Sixth Day, and Pepe Nero?

If so, then sure I guess I will agree with you.

23. OK you got me I like big john and I probably will like night stalker.

24. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

troll much?

25. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

Most of the Liq stores south of the river got assed out, but not completely - one measley bottle of Cherry Rye per store. Yah, likely to get that. Coffee was easier, regular BCBS was pretty easy to get but the larger stores were limiting it to a single bottle. I'm starting to think based on the number of limited releases we get very limited supplies of (see Backwoods) that many of the brewers we are fortunate to get are focusing on other areas that aren't as competitive as our market.

mmulebarn likes this.
  26. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I wish I could get a bottle of Coconut BCBS. Anyone in Chicago up for the challenge?!?

I also am really pumped to try bcbbw, as every is. If it's half as good as King Henry, I'd be perfectly content.

27. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I think you mean 'their most common 6 packs are very mediocre'. Their bombers/4 packs are all solid. The seasonals are also very good. I've tried the year-round, common, 6 pack beer at tastings, and never felt the urge to buy one. So I agree GI has, excellent specials, ok regulars...

mmulebarn likes this.
  28. Have you tried Sixth Day that recently came out? Eight bucks for a 6-pack and it is very good.

29. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

A store I know got 1 bottle of Cherry Rye.

30. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I did not see any of the specialties in the south metro at all last year and only saw one or two stores with a one bottle limit that was quickly swallowed up. If there is even less this year, it's going to be really scarce down here.

31. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

So you're basically saying that I'm fucked because I'm spending Thanksgiving in St Paul while Madison stores are releasing the BCBS beers on Black Friday? Well shit...

32. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

If I get 'em, cool. Otherwise, I'll just sit back and enjoy some of the multitude of other delicious beers available around here.

PS- if anyone reading this hasn't already, hook up with a group of people and do regular tastings. Chances are one of you will be able to score some of this stuff. Either way, there are always great brews being poured!

biglobo8971 likes this.
  33. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (470) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

Anyone seen an expected price? I was really shocked at what they were trying to get for the sisters. I really enjoy Lolita, but not at Cantillon pricing.

34. This may be a long shot....but is anyone from the Minneapolis area planning on making a quick road trip to Chicago late Thursday night/early Friday to get in on any of the Black Friday craziness down there?? I would love to tag along with you and split gas....just don't feel like doing the trek myself. BM me if you have a crew....i'd gladly ride in the trunk if needed :)

35. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

Long ride without a ticket... You never know what the shops will have or if it will be all sold out.

36. Stevedore

Anyone think they'll start selling BCBS in the TC area by Monday or is it going to be more like Thursday?

37. mmulebarn

I've heard Thursday at the latest. Possibly as early as Monday/Tuesday. Sounds like some places will be receiving BCBS and Abyss on the same day.

38. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Im expecting Monday at some of the big boys. I'm guessing lots of people take the day off to go hunting.

pearceweb likes this.
  39. Stevedore

I'm hoping it's Monday as I'll still be in the area and heading back to Wisconsin (where everyone's already bought up all the BCBS+variants...) in the late afternoon.