Goose Island Bourbon County variants

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mmulebarn, Nov 23, 2013.

1. I've concluded that the truck chasers have no kids because if I didn't have a child I'd buy cases of BCS... Or they work night jobs. Yeah I wouldn't be satisfied with zero either.

2. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Is there really such a thing as "truck chasing"? I can visualize how a normal delivery goes: The truck stops, they unload the beer in the back, the truck leaves, and at some point later the liquor store staff brings it out and puts it on the shelf.

How could someone possibly "chase the truck" when its already gone to who knows where by the time a purchase is made?

McRyan likes this.
  3. Curt1

Curt1 Savant (305) Minnesota Nov 15, 2010

Surly used to distribute their own beer. Truck loads of whatever special release. But as everyone now knows, they go through a distributor.

4. I thought about this a bit. I think they work in pairs+. And at the end of the day the split everything.

NeedBeerHere likes this.
  5. MNPikey

Only way I could see it working is if someone runs in as soon as the truck stops for delivery and demands to buy the XXXX NOW knowing it was just delivered or being delivered. If I worked somewhere and an individual came in making such demands I'd show them to door.

Revenant and Hopsiam14 like this.
  6. MNPikey

I think how it really works is that someone gets lucky and stops at a liquor store when they have a full supply. They then buy everything because the store would rather sell everything immediately than deal with people calling endlessly for beer before it arrives. Then having to deal with special limits until its gone and people complaining about it once it is gone. Sell everything to one person and be done with it right away. Someone calls and they just have to say "sorry, sold out".

I know every special beer release is REALLY annoying for most places. I know the store I go to regularly said they got 75 calls before noon today for BCBS.

7. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I was at two different stores this week when they received their BCBS - but they still imposed limits.

8. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

I was talking to Ryan earlier about this. I always wondered how people pulled it off. Seems logical that they must have a couple cars. I have to agree with him. I don't see any other way. You still have to wonder how they know if each stop gets some since they don't know what's getting dropped off at each place. I guess it must work out in the end for them.

9. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (470) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Well, I had dumb luck at F44.

I went there on a random chance, saw the trucks. When i walked in, someone already had a mixed 4 at the counter so i got very happy, very fast. I dont know if his chance was luck too, or if he was following.

That being said - another store (which will remain anonymous) told me that they had to deal with a bunch of a-hole chasers when they told them they were going to hold it for a couple days before putting it out. Once the people left, they put it out (lol). I missed it by 30 minutes, which was 2 hours after that.

All i can hope is that my fiancee can snag me some at the one shop i have hope for left.

Revenant likes this.
  10. NeedBeerHere

I think all these releases suck more for the retailers than any of us who might get shut out. I've heard many of them say it. There's no way they can make all their regulars happy and they have to field calls for weeks before the releases. Not saying that the releases suck to me. I'm glad to hunt a little but when you come up empty it feels sort of defeating. I guess nobody deserves the beer - even if we are one of a stores best customers. We should just feel lucky if we can find it. Sometimes it seems like I would be fair for those just getting into beer to score instead of those of us who have already had the beer tons of times.

11. Syzygy00

Syzygy00 Aficionado (145) Minnesota Nov 25, 2010

I hit France 44 on my lunch hour and they hadn't gotten it. I consoled myself by picking up a bottle of Abyss instead. When my friend went there around 4:00, he was just in time to get the last 4-pack. It's tough to hit those short release windows when you have a job...

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  12. AnalogErik

I must have been there 30 mins after you when it showed up :/

I completely agree, it sucks to have to deal with all of us, but for that matter, we are a passionate bunch. And we pay. I paid 30$ for a gillian that based on flavor/style should have been a 12-20$ bottle. Not saying i didnt like it, check my score, but lets be realistic here, if the company wants to keep core customers, it should probably supply the demand.

13. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Wow, that's a lotta calls... I know it's amazing beer but this is nutty

14. AnalogErik

I walked into my local shop after my grad school class. I said "Anything yet?" and they said "Come and gone".

15. NeedBeerHere

Yah I agree but the fact is they can't supply the demand which sucks for them too as they don't want to disappoint people who they likely are friends with because they make a lot of friends with all their regulars.

16. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Bummer, I got the same tonight at a local haunt... Lame!

17. NeedBeerHere

It's almost impossible to time things right. Things go so fast that if I'm not really on top of things I will definitely miss out. You either park out in front of your favorite store and wait till they get it or it's likely things are going to be gone in the half hour you are doing something else. I guess it seems my local will sometimes save me something but I certainly don't count on it or expect it.

18. So here is my two cents...I've been a part of this scene for a few years now and I have seen how these limited releases play out, whether it be on/off sale. The best way that I have found to secure these beers is to develop a relationship with your store(s) beer buyer. Most if not all of these buyers will either give you a call or straight set a few bottles aside if they know that you show a level of loyalty to their establishment. I personally have benefited numerous times from building these relationships; to the point where I haven't needed to "chase trucks" or even drive around to several store for the past couple years. At least this way you will not get shut out. You may not get you're multiple bottles/4-packs, but you will get something.

19. NeedBeerHere

Yah I may seem new to the board but I've been drinking craft since 1993 or so. I know how things work.

20. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I've posted this before but I'll do it again: I hate this idea.

It's only one short hop from "developing a relationship" to stores starting "lists" that happen in other parts of the country. I know a few managers/beer buyers, but I talk to them because I've known them a long time & they're good dudes. I'd never expect them to hold "rare" beer for me, & I don't think they would. And the day I have to begin sticking my head up someone's behind to get the hottest & latest is the day I put down my chasing keys & start drinking tea.

If it works for you personally, good for you, but if this becomes widespread, it'll be even harder for the masses to get things like BCS & the like, & I'm pretty sure we can all agree this would be a bad thing.

21. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (445) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

About 5 stores, numerous phone calls and ended up with one bottle. I guess it could have been worse. Much easier to trade for this one this year IMO.

22. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Developing a relationship and kissing ass is totally different. There are a couple of guys I talk to at different liquor stores and I would never expect them to hold anything for me, but they give me a lot of information on when to expect the hard to get stuff, and if they offer to hold me a bottle, I'm not going to stay no.
    It's a win-win situation, keeps me coming back because I feel loyalty to their store, and they are selling me beer, which is how they make money.

Edit: and these are people I would gladly invite into my home and offer a beer, not some douche bag I talk to just for info.

23. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

Does anyone know who many cases Four Firkins got? I talked to one liquor store owner who was very upset he didn't get any BCBS and said he didn't because "I don't get on my knees and blow Goose Island like Four Firkins does". He thought F4 got a high % of the Twin Cities BCBS supply. He told me many stores get screwed over by the distributors/brewers on special releases.

24. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

4 firkins didn't even announce it on twitter because they got so little. Seems strange

25. NeedBeerHere

I think a lot of stores got shut out because they don't/can't sell much regular Goose Island.

26. One store told me they didn't get any because they don't sell enough Bud/Bud Light etc. I have a hard time believing that since the Firkins, F44 etc get a lot but I suppose it could be up to the distributor.

27. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

I know of one small, small store that doesn't sell much GI that got 1 case and a large Haskell's that got 2 cases. Most stores I talked with didn't get anything and were not happy.

28. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I agree a relationship & ass-licking is totally different. Bottom line, there's no good way to allocate these limited releases, & it gets worse every year. I'm just bitter & full of hate, don't mind me.

29. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Totally agree and ditto!

30. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Getting back to availability:

Anyone seen any Backyard in the Twin Cities yet? I've heard possibly friday, possibly next week, possibly never.

Don't want to miss a chance to grab one!

31. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

MGM Bloomington on 98th has regular limit 1 bottle

32. Haven't seen it but I've heard all the same things you have.

33. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (430) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

I was fortunate enough to be in WI for the Black Friday release. We got bent over hard in MN. In Milwaukee discount liquor had a 2 4pk limit on regular. I picked up a bottle of Backyard in GB. I get the proximity to Chicago, but MPLS is such a larger market.

34. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (280) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

Ditto. Might see some trickle out today or tomorrow. My guess is Monday/Tuesday of next week. Hope to land a couple so that I only have to trade for the Proprietors.

35. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Marshall Liquors tweeted:

Delivered: Goose Island BCBS. Must purchase 6pk of regular GI in order to purchase a bottle of BC and a bottle of Barleywine or Coffee.

Was waiting for this to happen, was happening all over Chicago, but you would have to buy a Lolita for each variant in some stores.

36. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

At least lolita is worth drinking. I cant think if a GI 6 pack I've ever bought...or would buy, even if it means getting a paltry amount of bcbs...

So you're basically paying $10/bottle, with a free 6 pack to give away...at least its christmas time?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  37. XmnwildX12

In Chicago I grabbed a 4pk of BW and they said I needed to buy a 4pk of regular BCS, didn't have to shoot me to do that...

38. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Thats my kind of 'limit' :D

39. XmnwildX12

@alejail: The Bourbon County beers from @GooseIsland have arrived! Come and get them...

m.twitter.com/alejail

40. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

Weird. I got a bottle of regular from them on Monday and they said they were already out of Barleywine. Second shipment?