1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Bourbon County variants

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mmulebarn, Nov 23, 2013.

1. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Which Haskells?
  2. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

It sounded to me like there were still a lot of stores that had it ordered but didn't receive their allotment as of now. I can't remember what store it was but I imagine either a lot of stores will be getting some in this week or they are going to be shut out.
  3. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

My honey hole... Faribault haha!
  4. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Maybe the distributor held it back. I'm sure delivery trucks were full with their normal deliveries, the Bourbon County stuff, and all the other special stuff that came out the past week.
  5. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (270) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Any idea if more coffee or BW is going to hit the twin cities?
  6. The places I talked to were not getting Bourbon County on the normal truck but it was couriered out by the rep. Not sure if this is true for all stores or not though.
  7. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (385) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

What i have heard, is that the vast majority of the bombers are going to restaurants, since they can charge a premium.

this is why we can collectively say "screw the Minnesota distributors". I understand it is a business, and that the goal is to max out the revenue on the income statement, and increase the assets on the balance sheet, but there IS something to be said about appeasing the loyal fan base. When you hear from big stores that they are expecting the unique stuff to go to restaurants because of margin, that just pisses people off. Unfortunately, GI and ABINBEV could care less, because for every person who is upset and doest want to buy next year, there are 5 that will.
  8. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

This makes little to no sense. The distributors, to the best of my knowledge, charge the same rate to both on and off sale when it comes to stuff like this. There are different price tiers due to quantity ordered, but when they are only getting a case or two it will be the same price for each establishment. So are you trying to say that the distributors intentionally want the end customer to pay more???? That would be the worst business model ever. Now, if all of the bombers are going to on sale, it is probably due more to the fact that they cannot provide enough for all of their accounts and this is the way they chose to divvy it up.

There is plenty to be said about Minnesota getting the shaft on these releases, but to just go and make up some asinine reason that makes no sense if you think about it for even a fraction of a second is just lame.
    evilgenius1917, BrettHead and McRyan like this.
  9. AnalogErik

I'm not making anything up. I am just sharing what I heard.

And how is that an asinine statement? Why would they opt to distribute to restaurants over stores if not for their own benefit?
    MNMike and mmulebarn like this.
  10. McRyan

There can't be that many restaurants that would even want it. The bottle programs in the TC are not every extensive, excepts for a few spots.
  11. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

IIRC John the former Goose Island rep said part of the reason for selling it to restuarants is to make sure that people who wanted a taste had a better chance at it. Since the truck chasers can't just go and buy the allotment, it gives us people who work during the day a better chance.
    AnalogErik likes this.
  12. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Im actually in favor of this too. I got a bottle of Cherry Rye last year at 3 square. It was the only variant I was able to get, so I dont mid them going to restaurants. This year, every place has sold out in less than an hour, so that means no BCBS for me for the first time since I bought it about 6 years ago...
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    NeedBeerHere likes this.
  13. AnalogErik

Yeah, im not even going to try for backyard this week. Ive got wedding venues to look at over my lunch breaks. :)
  14. McRyan

Central Ave Liquor
    The last of the Bourbon County and Deschutes Abyss has been put out. This won't last long. First come first serve. No phone holds. Hope to see you soon.

Happy Monday!

There is a picture of what they have left on FB
  15. Yulles

How is if for their own benefit? Restaurants don't get charged more they just charge more to their consumer, so the distributor doesn't make any more money. There are plenty of reasons why they would send them to restaurants: opportunity for more people to try it, fewer accounts so easier to please more of them, raising the profile of craft beer in high end establishments, just to name a few.

The statement is asinine because it makes accusations that are unsubstantiated by facts and asks for people to be angry with the distributors. It isn't the distributors fault that GI decided to send us less bourbon county brand everything this year than it did last year. It isn't the distributors fault (it is actually their job) that the popularity of craft beer has been exploding over the past few years. I would call that kind of statement foolish.
  16. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (310) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Hug it out bros.
    McRyan likes this.
  17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Nothing to add..just wanted to say great response.
    evilgenius1917 likes this.
  18. NeedBeerHere

While it's unpopular, those that REALLY want to taste the variant have a better chance to do so. Lot's of people don't want to pay the mark-up for the bottle at a restaurant. I get it shouldn't cost that much but it gives those who REALLT want it a chance to get it cheaper than trading and a few people can still share the bottle. That being said I wouldn't mind running into a bottle but at this point it doesn't seem very likely any other way than paying on Craigslist. Admittedly I don't know a lot of BAs and am sort of an introvert so sometimes it's hard to get into bottle shares when I don't know anybody there.
    McRyan likes this.
  19. Yulles

You know I'm afraid of human contact. Back to work for me, and no offense was meant toward AnalogErik. But there are lots of things in this thread that really tick me off. Limited releases are going to be hard for everyone to find and to get as much as they want. I would have loved 3 four packs of the BCBW, I was fortunate enough to get 2 bottles.

Some people will like what store X does some people won't. Some people will like what store Y does and some people wont'. Usually people like the method that benefits them. So continue to shop at the places with your preferred method of distribution but really, just enjoy the beer. If you only got 2 bottles, that is two more than plenty of other people got so be happy with it, I know I am.
    BrettHead and evilgenius1917 like this.
  20. MCImes

I think i paid $24 or $28 for the cherry rye, which isnt too bad of a markup. Coffee was $22 or 23 i think, so I dont mid paying an extra $5 at all if it means I get to try one
    Bildo and BrettHead like this.
  21. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Just out of curiosity, which restaurants do you guys generally see these bombers end up at? I felt like I looked all over for the cherry rye last year (at restaurants) and didn't find it anywhere.

Someone mentioned 3 Squares? Never heard of it, after googling it I assume the place in Maple Grove? I guess I would've thought these would show up at places like Grumpy's and Butcher and the Boar.
  22. How is $23/bottle not too bad of a markup? My friend found a 4-pack of coffee in the twin cities on Saturday for $18.
  23. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Because last year it was in bombers not four packs.
  24. MCImes

this was last year when it was bomber only and they were around $22
  25. My bad on that one - I didn't get any last year and forgot about that.
  26. AnalogErik

None taken, you are making completely valid arguments, and now that im thinking about it rationally, you are spot on regarding distributor pricing.

I was just sharing what i had heard from people at the shops. Not necessarily the buyers, but the people at the shops. Other customers, random sales people. I checked out 20 or so stores over my lunch breaks mon-thurs last week.

The bit about blaming distributors was intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the rest isnt. I think there is a valid argument about appeasing the market. Unfortunately, restaurants may have won out this time around. I dont know if thats the case for sure, but i'll be watching the on-tap thread.

As another poster noted, the likely reason for restaurants getting bottles is probably related to availability for the market.

That being said, i probably shouldn't try and write replies at 10:25pm when i'm knee deep in a 12% growler. :)
    BrettHead and Mnmaverick like this.
  27. AnalogErik

Back to straight talk:

Any Backyard sightings today?
  28. NeedBeerHere

I think somebody mentioned last year that the Happy Gnome had Cherry Rye for $30/bottle.
    SipIt likes this.
  29. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (250) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

I know that last year Busters did some Cherry Rye bombers for on-site consumption (they are closed due to the fire, so this doesn't really help - sorry.) Don't quote me, but I think it was $28 a bottle. Hilariously, I saw a bomber of Cherry Rye at a restaurant in Chicago this past spring for $65.
  30. AnalogErik

Buffalo Tap in savage sometimes gets some awesome beers, and they put their list online. Ill be watching for it there.
  31. Speaking of markup. I was in Chicago for black Friday and we were in a bar(can't remember the name) and I see a bottle of Cherry rye and we were about to get it until we saw the price 60 bucks and coffee was 50 so we passed on it.
  32. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (445) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

I'm sure that's one more trend downtown Minneapolis will try to steal from Chicago.
  33. Atom13

Atom13 Aficionado (100) Minnesota Jun 29, 2010

This summer Haute Dish had Bramble and Coffee for $30, not a bad mark up IMO.
    McRyan likes this.
  34. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (320) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

$28 is correct; they had bombers of coffee as well. Really miss Busters; hope they're open again soon.
  35. McRyan

SipIt likes this.
  36. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

37. NeedBeerHere

Nope any bottle you buy in the bar has to stay in the bar till it's gone. If you collect empty bottles I'm not sure if they would let you take the empty or not. As for the price I remember people were all angry and not about to pay $30 at the time.
  38. JJSupaFly

JJSupaFly Zealot (90) Minnesota Jun 1, 2008

Is this specific to beer? In MN if you buy a bottle of wine with dinner and don't finish it, you can stick the cork back in and take the rest home. Granted, wine has a better "shelf life" once opened more so than beer, but the case could be made that you should be able to put some type of seal on the beer bottle and take the unfinished portion home.
  39. Yeah, wine only.
  40. Coffee and Barleywine seem to have hit the north metro in the last 2 days.