1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Clybourn Beer Academy

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by dmsulli, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

Has anyone ever been to one of the G.I. Beer Academy events before? What can I expect? Is there a decent amount of beer to be sampled for $20?

2. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

I'm curious as well - going tonight with the GF.

3. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

I went to the first one and I would say it was worth it. Each table (of 6-8) gets a bomber or 2 12oz bottles of 6 or 7 'planned' beers. Then they brought out King Henry and Vanilla.

4. It's Goose Island, I think it's a deal for $20. If I had to guess, you will be sampling at least one special/ limited beer.

5. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I saw today is Barrel Age beers. That would b very awesome

6. bertram

And next month is Sours...so if tonight goes well ill definitely be back in November for that one too.

7. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

After tonight if you guys could post some info about it that would be great. I want to go to the sours once next month, but would love to get some more details if it is worth it.

8. jdhende

Beat me to the punch. After tonight if you could shoot me a BM about the night I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

9. dmsulli

Damn, tonight's is fully booked tonight. Was really looking forward to checking this out.

10. I forgot all about tonight's Beer Academy. Saw the BA beer tasting a couple months ago and planned on going, and didn't remember about it until I saw this thread. I thought it would have sold out a while ago anyways, like is said by dmsulli above. Oh well.

11. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

FWIW, I signed up for this event the afternoon of October 1 (the first day registration was open) and I was told that there were 10 spots remaining after the first hour they started accepting reservations.

12. dmsulli

ISO: 1 "reservation" for tonight. Hit me up if someone has a +1 and your significant other/buddy/dad flakes. :)

13. bertram

Yea, I signed up on 10/3 - didn't ask how many slots were left at that point. Looking forward to this!

14. Smackrull

Smackrull Initiate (20) Illinois Oct 24, 2012

Turns out one of my friends has bailed, if anyone wants to join me i have an extra seat. PM me $20

15. Really wish I had seen this. I am sure you found someone though, so hope you're having a great time!

16. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Beers poured at the event (in order):
    1. Jolly Pumpkin - Oro de Calabaza
    2. Cisco - The Woods
    3. Innis & Gunn - Oak Aged Scottish Ale
    4. Tyranena - Rocky's Revenge
    5. Goose Island Clybourn - Bourbon Barrel Aged Squid Ink
    6. Anchorage - Galaxy IPA
    7. Goose Island Clybourn - Elijah Craig 18 Year Barrel Aged Doppelbock
    8. Flying Dog - Gonzo
    9. Hoppin Frog - Barrel Aged Double Pumpkin
    10. Great Divide - Oak Aged Yeti
    11. Goose Island - 12 BCBS

Highlight of the night was the yet to be named Elijah Craig Doppelbock. Aged for a year and a half, three kegs produced, per Jared Rouben.

Jared also confirmed one beer to be served at FoBAB. I have posted it in the FoBAB thread.

BlastBeats and Bay01 like this.
  17. bertram

Small correction: The Cisco beer was actually Lady of the Woods.

For me, the Cisco beer and the unnamed dopplebock were the highlights of the night, with the dopplebock the clear winner.

Overall a very fun event - went ahead and signed up for next month's afterword.

18. geimerman

geimerman Zealot (95) Illinois May 12, 2012

This was my first GI Beer Academy and it was well worth it. Good times hanging out with fellow beer fans, learning and drinking.

I agree with bertram and Lansman, Jared knocked it out of the part with the BA dopplebock.

I plan on returning for the Sours as well.

19. jdhende

Just signed up for the sours event today. Should be a blast can't wait. Hopefully the sisters all make an appearance.

20. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Which beer?

21. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (240) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Sours day is full. But they put me on a waiting list of someone cancels

22. Ya what sucks about that is I know several people who reserved before November. I called an was told I had to wait until November 1st to reserve. I'm guessing they had more people than normal reserving (due to his thread?) and had a put a stop before it was booked before it was November. Sucks reservation didn't even last the day

23. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i was told the same thing, but i remembered to call this morning and sign up.

24. Same, thankfully

25. dmsulli

Sorry to raise this 2011 thread back from the dead, but spots opened up today for this year's Wood and Barrel Aged Beer Academy. (October 30th)

26. bertram

Thanks for the reminder - just snagged a seat for me and the GF!

Has anyone done these since Jarred left? Curious as to how they may have changed.

dmsulli likes this.
  27. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

thanks. i signed up as well.

28. JammyV

JammyV Aficionado (200) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

A friend backed out late and it looks like I have an extra ticket to tonights Beer Academy (Wood and Barrel Aged beers). BM me if you are interested.