1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Coffee and Cherry

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Mista, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

apparently the cherry rye is going to be a very limited release : (

2. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

damn you, and your will to make people have intelligible discussions!

3. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

says who

4. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

says Vav + dog

(my apologies if this expression it too internety)

5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (675) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

This answer needs an addendum.

Rare > Black Cat Espresso Coffee > Normal (vintage dependent) > Anjelinka (sp?) Coffee > Vanilla > Bramble

Chad speaks the truth regarding aged to current (although 2010 beat out rare in a blind BCS tasting I was involved with about a month ago, 4 BA's mistook it for rare as well).

Cheers!

6. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

Ugh, why don't they just stick with Black Cat? That shit's killer.

7. idk about that, I know many who have had both and seem to think that FW is better or just as good

8. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

dontyouknowyourenotsupposedtousespaceseithernoob

9. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

No, vanillas, not rare. I got some Adam of the wood and other good beers in the trade. I honestly love FW XV and I got a lot of it which you expect in a trade for vanilla. I am one that doesn't think rarity affects a beers taste. That being said Rare is the best!

ABisonEgo likes this.
  10. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

My fault, but either way a bit of a surprise. As long as both parties are happy it is a good trade in my book.

11. Does anyone know if Goose Island will be having a day after thanksgiving sale like they did last year for King Henry?

12. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

franklinn and BreakingBad like this.
  13. polisanl

polisanl Savant (260) Florida Aug 6, 2010

FLORIDA.....Peg's, J Wakefield, Funky Buddha, 7th Sun, plus CCB.

14. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I agree, i didn't break it down more simply because i didn't want to do the same with each year of BCS.

I will say that i was happy with intelligensia's pic of beans for B2 BCBCS, as i wanted to see how a higher acidity coffee would pull through a big stout in comparison to Black Cat. So while i didn't think it tasted as good, it was science for me.

15. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I don't know about 10' but I've be pretty vocal for my love of 09' and I think it's better than Rare. I've had them side-by-side, and 09' wins pretty handily for me.

16. Goose Island will not be selling any bottles of these releases at the brewpub on Black Friday. That being said, they are hosting this event (sold out):
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/goose-island-black-friday-2012-sexy-details.48276/

Binny's, across the street, is hosting this event:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...park-black-friday-2012-official-thread.48429/

17. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

18. Insofar as Goose isn't involved, yes (unlike the Rare release 2 years ago, which seemed much more like a partnership-type event) -- but if anyone wants to buy a bottle of Rare (and/or the new stuff), it might be worth stopping by.

19. pschul4

So wait...where do I have to line up for the cherry rye/coffee 2012 release? I was under the impression that GI was selling those and Vav was having his cellar sale

20. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

As far as I know, no one knows whether they are getting them the day before Thanksgiving for an early Black Friday release just yet. I haven't seen anyone confirm that they will be for sale at their store that day.

StevenSpringer likes this.
  21. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

The only important question here is whether or not these are going to make it to southern Missouri. GI really pisses me off because they are owned by A/B, which obviously operates out of St. Louis, Mo. Thus, I am sure some production of GI stuff is coming out of Stl, and we still haven't even seen BCBS, and doubt we will ever even see this special release stuff. Face it GI is no longer a Chicago based company even though they pretend to be. Time to face the facts and just move to Stl where you are inevitably going to end up. Only AB could piss both there natives and Chicagoans off with this buyout. FRUSTRATION!

MUMike likes this.
  22. I can try and find it but it was either via Twitter or Facebook (or both) that Goose confirmed that they would not be selling bottles of Cherry Rye or 2012 Coffee at the brewpub on Black Friday. Vav has said that if he has those two beers in stock on Friday, they would be made available via the lottery system he's using for the other beers (I think).

Cherry Rye will be limited to 1 case/store. There's more Coffee, but it sounds like maybe less than last year. As to where/when to line-up to pick up bottles for yourself? I'd suggest finding a store that takes a list -- and hope there's still room.

I suspect that these two beers will be at stores prior to Black Friday and that there's an embargo on selling them before 11/23. That is only my speculation, however (and all of this is specific to Chicago -- to everyone else in the country, good luck!).

23. pschul4

Thats more along the lines of what I was wondering about, thanks man!

24. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Word. I'm in Springfield as well and Eric at Brown Derby said he's never seen the variants. Although he said he is expecting a small shipment of BCBS after Thanksgiving.

/whine

25. The store owners/beer buyers I've talked to said that they have been told by the distributors that it will be in there (distributors) hands the week after Thanksgiving and to expect it either later that week or the week of the 3rd of Dec.

From what I can tell the quantities sound like a 5/1 ratio for Coffee to Cherry Rye with stores getting no more than one case of Cherry Rye.

26. Goosey

Huh, I know Eric too. I am a Drury student I live downtown. The Derb is a mainstay for me (btw I just picked up Lil' B which I think they have a limited amount of, and they had 2 4 packs of Founders Harvest ale on the shelf if you haven't been lately.) Side note- Hyvee puts all of their limited release stuff right out on the shelves, Black Butte aniversary is still sitting out there.

27. I talked with their Head Brewmaster (Brett Porter) awhile back and I think A/B really only got their Urban Ales and Classic Ales (312, Honkers, etc.) and they are now brewing those in New York primarily. All of the Vintage stuff including BCS is still being controlled by the original GI crew and is still brewed out of their Chicago facility.

That's the word on the street at least....

JulianC, ChiTownPackFan and pschul4 like this.
  28. MUMike

I work downtown but live in SE Springfield, so I try to stop by the Derb at least once a week. I got a little bit of Founders Backwoods Bastard, but not nearly enough! So good. I haven't checked Hyvee but I doubt they get it.

BTW, I went to Patton Alley one night a couple of weeks ago and they had Schlafly Bourbon Barrel RIS on tap at half price pints during happy hour. Not sure if they still have it, but that is a great deal on a great stout. Love that stuff.

29. I have heard the same about the quantities of Coffee and Cherry Rye. Less Cherry Rye than there was King Henry = shit show in a couple of weeks! :eek:

30. Goosey

Hyvee got Backwood and had it in stock as of Saturday. Let me know if you get ahold of anything else of interest. I try to go to the Derb twice a week, and Hyvee once. I got a Dissident this year, and if you haven't tried Black Xantus, it is great and on the shelves now. Harvest Dance is out now if you like Wheat Wines.

31. MUMike

Thanks for the update. I'll swing by Hyvee after work.

I'm heading to Chicago this weekend for FoBAB so if there's anything from Chicago you want just let me know. I don't know if I'll get over to Three Floyd's but I'm going to try.

32. Goosey

Yes!!! I'm interested in any kind of big stout, barley wine, or christmas ales we can't get here, especially some of these GI varieties. Let me know, I have cash money, and if you like cajun food I am the head night chef at the Big Easy Grill (SE SPFD), I'll hook you up on some cajun.

33. MUMike

Will do. Send me a private message with a list of the ones to pick up if I can find them. I'm happy to help, and I love me some cajun!

34. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Peg's, Wakefield and funky Buddha don't really count though. Wakefield pretty much isn't available except at special events and funky Buddha and Peg's all their highly acclaimed stuff is usually special events also and demand far outpaces supply and they barely even fill growlers or bottles in FBs case. Funky is in the process of building their brewery though so I'm hopeful that we'll have some good beer being sold in bottles from a south FL brewery soon.

35. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I had Cherry BCBS on tap at great taste of the midwest it was up right b4 my avatar so while I was waiting for king henry I got to drink the Cherry BCBS sadly though its the only variant I've ever had but man was it good. Hope I'll land some Coffee BCBS this time around.

36. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Saw a tweet with a picture showing Cherry Rye was being packaged today!!

37. The Cherry one sounds good. Hopefully I get to try some.

38. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....... maybe I should pop ONE of my vanilla'S at retirement PARTY , and throw in a COUPLE o' my RARE'S for good measure...........Michael..?...Fitz..?...TY?......Brian...?....Jason?,.........

BeerMeFitz likes this.
  39. BUELLER....BUELLER....

40. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

For me it goes
    Rare, Coffee, BCBS, Vanilla, Bramble The Vanilla is still just a lil too sweet. But I have one more bottle aging till it hits the five year mark, then we'll see.