1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Coffee and Cherry

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Mista, Nov 7, 2012.

1. or you could let me buy off your rare, my nephew has cancer and really wants one before he dies???

2. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

3. airbag11

airbag11 Aficionado (185) New York Feb 17, 2012

stooooooooked!!!:D

4. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Punctuation. Russian River? ISO

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  5. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

I don't know if anyone wants to share this information, but can anyone recommend a place in or around Chicago that is doing a list for either of these? My wife will be traveling there in early December for work (from MN) and has agreed to mule for me if I'm able to find any in advance...

6. This is not going to be the norm opinion, but I'd say: Vanilla, Rare, BCBS, Bramble, Coffee.

The Coffee was one of the most disappointing beers I've ever had considering how much I love regular BCBS. I felt like the Coffee was kinda jammed in there and didn't work all that well with the beer, just took away from what makes BCBS great in the first place.

7. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

That picture was of coffee, red label. Cherry has a cream/white label. Still nice to see.

8. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

[​IMG]

9. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I know atleast the ipa,honkers,312, are being brewed at Redhook/Portsmouth,New Hampshire as well.

o_O............meh.

Cheers

10. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

I feel your pain man,as CT. hasn't seen shit as far as BCBS goes either.All the while NY. is swimming in the stuff.
    CT. was listed as being in the "1st wave" of states to receive BCBS...........:rolleyes:

Cheers

11. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (420) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

So I guess it's time for me to try BCBS since I've never done so?

12. jbravato

jbravato Zealot (75) Pennsylvania Nov 11, 2010

For some reason I can't post in the ISO:FT forum so I'll post here. I am interested in a trading partner to get my hands on some BCBCS and BCBCRS. I am in the philadelphia are and can get anything in this distribution area. Message if interested and spread the word.

13. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

The Cherry picture was posted first, followed by the Coffee later on that day. ;)

14. How are J.Wakefield's brews?

15. neeko530

neeko530 Zealot (95) Indiana Oct 17, 2012

after talking to both my GI rep and our GI distibutor is looks like my store will be getting the largest allocation of any store in my chain. we won't be seeing it here in indiana till a few weeks later than you folks in chicago but either way color me excited. still sitting on 3 cases of bcbs as well :)

16. vw73182

vw73182 Aficionado (185) Indiana Oct 6, 2007

I'll never see a single bottle of either and plenty of you will post up pictures of your hoardings

guillemiro likes this.
  17. What city in Indiana are you in?

18. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

We still haven't seen regular bcbs in KY and it's named after KY for god's sakes.

MajorBuckeye likes this.
  19. I am a bit scared that my love for all things bourbon county might be tarnished by the cherry variation. I love stouts, I love bourbon, and I love cherries - but so far am yet to find a cherry brew that didn't taste like cough medicine.

Callmecoon likes this.
  20. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

If past Cherry BCS batches are any indication you will not be dissapointed. No cough medicine there, just dark fruit cherryness that works really well with the chocolate/bourbon notes.

21. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I agree with Bay01. I had a taste of it this summer at the Great Taste of the Midwest and thought it was great. I thought Bramble was ok but not great, the Cherry, however was very solid and markedly better than Bramble.

Bay01 likes this.
  22. Hope my fear is not justified! I'll be interested to sit down and drink one once I am able!

23. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I think you'll be surprised. I'm not a big fruit stouts period (not just cherry ones) and I still thought the BCBS Cherry was very good. That being said, I'd still prefer standard BCBS and BCBCS but it is definitely worth going out of your way to get your hands on a few bottles of.

24. I REALLY love cherry BA stouts and even more so with a nice tart taste. I'm going to put this out there as a major want:

ISO: Bourbon County Brand Cherry Rye Stout, FT: my extra kidney, 1st and only born son

VonZipper and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  25. It's my understanding that BCBS is in-fact named after what it is. Bourbon barrel-aged Cook County Stout.

tronto likes this.
  26. polisanl

polisanl Savant (260) Florida Aug 6, 2010

To just name a few, check out the reviews for Passion Fruit-Dragon Fruit, Phat Bottom and Miami Madness berliners. In a nutshell, pretty amazing. Most BA's in FL dig the berliners, but my preference goes to Mate Bliss *(Brown) and The Nothing (Barrel-aged RIS). The dude makes serious beers.

Also, search for J Wakefield Brewing in Facebook...Stone's Greg Koch had Miami Madness (passion fruit, guava, mango) Berliner last week here in FL and a collaboration is now on the agenda.

Crack1Open and pop0777 like this.
  27. vw73182

vw73182 Aficionado (185) Indiana Oct 6, 2007

Huh? I don't see Cook anywhere in the name. However I do see the name of a county in Kentucky that happens coincide with the theme of the product.

guillemiro likes this.
  28. tronto

I think he was joking...

29. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

I'm hoping the Cherry is better than the Bramble. IMO, Bramble didnt fit well in the BCBS lineup. It was more of a raspberry stout missing some of the classic bourbon punch we've all grown to appreciate.

30. Need to get my hands on these!

31. I was not joking...goose island has a beer that has never been bottled that they call Cook County Stout. Granted I have never had this beer, but it is my understanding that Night Stalker is a dry hopped version of it, and BCBS is a bourbon barrel aged version of it. Made sense to me when I heard it so I never questioned it, but that is my understanding.

tronto likes this.
  32. Big John is supposedly based off of that as well.

33. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

You are correct. However, I believe that the Cook County Stout "name" technically came after Bourbon County Stout. I think that BCS was original meant to be barrel aged. Then a few years back GI released a non barrel aged version of BCS (at a few festivals) and appropriately named it "Cook County Stout." So technically the base beer has been around longer, but it was never marketed as CCS until recently.

Just my 2 cents... Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Then again... what came first... the chicken or the egg???

mrsandman35 likes this.
  34. When I think of the way I remember being told it, this actually makes sense and is likely correct! Beer nerds assemble!

35. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

Amazing Sours. He is a very talented brewer. Cant wait till he opens up the brewery.

Crack1Open likes this.
  36. Yeah but you can still get Rare on the shelves, so I'm not sure you have much to complain about.

jonbeer89 and mtrutlin like this.
  37. Agreed!

38. All of them were very awesome, but my preference is:

1) Rare
    2) Coffee
    3) Vanilla

39. tronto

when will this joke be retired? I always get a message if I'm participating in that thread..."is this for real, can you pick some up"?!

Levitation and jgagne like this.
  40. Yeah if this is true can you help us out?

jgagne and tronto like this.