1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Coffee and Cherry

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Mista, Nov 7, 2012.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

where did u get that number? I think that's a bit low
  2. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

GI logistics employee. Never been wrong thus far.
  3. 150 cases sounds just a wee bit low.
  4. I'd like to know where that logistics employee plans on distributing the other 25-50 cases.
    jRocco2021 and JulianC like this.
  5. Picked up a handful of Coffee yesterday at a Brooklyn shop - $17.49 which kinda shocked me (in a good way)
  6. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Yea that is a good price considering I paid $20 in chicagoland
  7. $19.99 pretax here on Long Island.
  8. cetherid

cetherid Savant (385) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Did those go on craigslist for 50 a pop as well?
  9. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

I paid $20 for the coffee, more for the cherry
  10. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

I haven't heard any numbers, but it would make sense given how impossible it has been for me to get any Cherry Rye here in Chicago. Just an example, my local beer place got 10 cases of Coffee, 1 case of Cherry Rye. Not saying it's 10 to 1, but GI definitely spreading it significantly thinner.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

i had heard similar numbers, but hearsay that supposedly came from the distributor. i heard 150 cases made, 50 for chicago area and 100 for all the other states that get GI. as long as i get to try it i'll be a happy guy, but it would be nice to track down more than a bottle.
  12. Theeabyss

25-50 cases are beying broken up and distroed to new accounts for GI as well as to small small shops that they felt like spreading them to. We saw it here in Chicago where some stores only got 3-6 bottles. Some even less.
  13. Theeabyss

No matter who you were as a store you only got max 1 case per store.
  14. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

This is false, I was at a store that had two cases of Cherry BCS on the floor on Black Friday. Granted, I thought it was odd considering Binny's, which is a much bigger store, only got one case per location.
  15. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Correct. I also work at a store (smaller than Binny's as well) that also got 2 cases of Cherry Rye and 4 cases of Coffee total.
  16. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Hmm, stores getting more Cherry Rye than Castle Vav, GI's biggest account in the known universe? Shurely shome mishtake!
    Theeabyss likes this.
  17. Jiatlas

Jiatlas Aficionado (170) Indiana Jul 5, 2012

anyone here when indiana will be getting this?
  18. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

For what it's worth, one of the speakers at the Black Friday event told me they had 70 BARRELS to work with. That's 282,240 ounces, or 12,829 bottles, or 1,069 cases. Now I heard that a ton of cherries went into each barrel, so even if those numbers were cut in half, that's 141,120, or 6,414 bottles, or 534 cases.

These numbers mean absolutely nothing to me though when I can't any bottles of Cherry for myself.
  19. Goons on Goose/Inbev's payroll posting falsities of extremely short supply propaganda to facilitate increased demand, anyone?
    BreakingBad likes this.
  20. Westuh

Westuh Savant (335) Wisconsin Oct 9, 2012

about 3 cases made it to SE Wisconsin. about 4 bottles per store from what I hear. Coffee was much more though.
    Theeabyss likes this.
  21. Noochie

Noochie Zealot (80) New York Nov 27, 2012

Like it wouldn't sell out anyway though. Be careful not to conspiracy theory this.
  22. Kaydogg

Kaydogg Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2011

I hear cherry rye is made with bits of real panther..
    libbey, DBCOACHEMUP, seplo and 6 others like this.
  23. still niether to hit here in Detroit market - anyone in Michigan see any ?
  24. Noochie, I was kidding, mostly...
  25. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (360) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Sounds good, time and date will follow actual day of retirement, Jan 31, 2013.
  26. Theeabyss

If so that is odd cause every dam store i went to and my friend that is a rep said even the biggest of binny's got only 1 case. I also did hear that some chains moved their allocations from various stores just to one store to supply that store. Either way who knows. I am sure on the 150 cases.

For instance the owner of the local store I go to which owns 2 more stores had 1 case the first week. When i went to pick up my bottles he said later in the week he would have more as he was going to be getting the other two allotted cases for his other stores in. Sure as can be later that week he had 2 more cases but in reality those were for two stores of his in the west burbs.

Either which way it doesnt really matter and I find it very hard to believe that 532 cases of this stuff was made. I think Coffee may be in that realm but Cherry Rye surely not.
  27. foobula

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't make any sense to piss off all the other shops by giving 2 or 3 no name stores 2x as much as your biggest outlet.
  28. Although Goose can very firmly recommend to the distributors how to sell their allocations, it is ultimately up to the distributors themselves to determine what and how much each account gets.

If a store carries Goose's entire lineup, they are more likely to be rewarded by the distributors with their rare and sought after products. Stores like Binnys have a lot of pull because of the insane volume of beer, wine, and spirits they sell. I was told the Binnys near me received an entire semi truck full of Captain Morgan 750mL.

Think about that when choosing where to purchase your beer. Reward the smaller stores that price their "rare" beers competitively. Purchase the year round products from them so they have a better chance of getting the rare beers.
  29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

From what I've heard, 150 cases is a little low, but not too far off. Makes me wonder how some of the people on here posted pics of landing 4,5,6 bottles
    cosmicevan likes this.
  30. foobula

1. Preparation
    2. Luck
    3. Living in BFE
    4. Being an inconsiderate braggart
  31. Those fuckers told me they sold it all already at 10:30 am.
  32. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Found a bottle of King Henry while searching for Coffee and Cherry today. What a nice surprise. $14.99.
    sholle, gklover1, DanGolfs86 and 7 others like this.
  33. It's possible. ;)
  34. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

In that case, send me some Cherry
  35. Jiatlas

Jiatlas Aficionado (170) Indiana Jul 5, 2012

luckyyyyyy
    sholle, DBCOACHEMUP and bozodogbreath like this.
  36. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Why do you want to know exactly?

You live in Portland, which probably didn't get a ton of BCBS, yet you managed clear a case of BCBS and a case of BCBS Cherry Rye out of your local shops, and now you are only looking to trade it all for whales-bro.

The best part is, you only want to trade it IN-PERSON to the same people you fucked out of the opportunity to buy it at retail themselves.

BA of the millenium material right here.

Or you're a shop owner, which is even more unscrupulous.
    cosmicevan, tronto, bgrzywa2 and 8 others like this.
  37. CCC

CCC Disciple (60) Illinois Aug 17, 2010

Here in southern Illinois, some stores that got coffee didn't get any cherry at all. Though given the apparent disparity between the quantity of Coffee and Cherry, I suppose this isn't a huge surprise.
  38. ISO: BC Honey Badger Stout.
  39. neeko530

neeko530 Zealot (85) Indiana Oct 17, 2012

well we got our allocation of bcbs about a month after chicago saw theirs. thus far my distributor still hasn't heard anything, but he and i are pretty chummy so as soon as he hears anything i'll know. i would expect it the first week of january.
  40. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

Woah there cowboy, not sure where to begin.

1. You have no idea who I am or how I get my beer, but feel entitled to toss around allegations such as these? That says more about you than me.

2. There are cases of BCBS up and down the state in stores, and can be special ordered no prob.

3. Cherry-yup I got some. How much I got and where it came from is none of your concern. And I'm trading it for "wales" eh? Oh I get it, regular Cantillon became a beer you just don't ask to trade for anymore, appauling I know.

4. I want to trade IP because I hate shipping. Again, what a bad guy. We are swiimmming in BCBS up here. Perhaps some guy in Mass can order all the Cantillon he wants from Belgium with the click of a mouse, but can only get a couple bottles of BCBS....see where I'm going with this?
    Keithstone44 likes this.