Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Goose Island Coffee and Cherry

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Mista, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

I just googled 96 barrels to fl oz and did ÷ 22 ÷ 12...I just assumed their conversion was right and didn't check it...but you're right

2. MIA4IPA

MIA4IPA Aficionado (240) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

IMO the coffee this year was fabulous better than last years!! The Cherry not so much even though it won Gold, it was not worth what I paid for a btl of $30. Bring back Bramble that was Stupidly Awesome!! It's crazy how these retail stores are getting away with selling the limited beers, every year its higher and higher and I know what they pay for the cases that come in. The most you should be paying for Coffee and Cherry in IL is $21.99 and that is with a sweet markup. Anything above that is outrageous IMO. If this trend continues I'm going to save my money for my everyday beers.

cnbrown313 likes this.
  3. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Heaven Hill bourbon barrels are 53 gallons. When GI says "96 barrels" - are they implying 96 actual bourbon barrels or using the standard beer barrels size of 31 gallons and just referencing that?

4. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Don't forget that some beer evaporates from each barrel before bottling.

5. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Savant (355) Kentucky Jun 18, 2012 Verified

Pretty sure KY got screwed by A-B this year.

6. neeko530

neeko530 Zealot (95) Indiana Oct 17, 2012

hit indiana late last week. our entire chain got one case of cherry rye. very disappointing

Theeabyss likes this.
  7. Vav

Vav Advocate (505) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

GI didnt say 96 BBLS, i did.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  8. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

Still sticking with my 150 case count. Barrel count and production and distribution #'s for resale/retail and bar use are never the same.

9. Vav

Vav Advocate (505) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

You're wrong, though. It's closer to 1300 cases.

10. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

Sounds good.

11. <whiny voice>But how many were kept in Illinois and how many were sent out to NYC?!??!?!??!!!??!!!</whiny voice>

In some seriousness, if past releases are any indication, there's a pallet or two in that refrigerated walk-in at the brewery (oh, to get the chance at a Supermarket Sweep-type run through there...).

JimGlonke likes this.
  12. repivk

repivk Zealot (95) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the Cherry Rye if anyone has one to spare, feel free to message me if anyone is willing.

13. joehill

joehill Savant (300) New York Apr 11, 2008 Verified

ok, if i'm able to grab a bottle next time i'm there, i'll send you a message.

14. maddogg

maddogg Aficionado (210) New York Jan 15, 2010 Verified

Thats ridiculous. Bolt Cutter for $33 its sitting on shelves out here on Long Island. Plentiful

cosmicevan likes this.
  15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I was thinking more along the lines of Reservoir Dogs...

stayclean likes this.
  16. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (495) New York Jan 13, 2010 Verified

I was promised one bottle of Cherry Rye from my friend who owns a store in Brooklyn. Supposedly its coming in tomorrow. If he actually gets some in and has extra I'll post the location and price here. I'm only going to buy one.

17. Crookdrain

Joe Hill - if you're interested in Cherry Rye, and I'm able to get some, maybe we could do a direct trade for the Bolt Cutter. Let me know.

18. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Advocate (630) New York Aug 10, 2010 Verified

I'm from Long Island as well and it's actually pretty crazy how many places have Bolt Cutter just sitting there right now. I could easily buy a case right now if I wanted to. I guess the price coupled with how bad it's gotten slammed by people isn't really doing it any favors.

Then again, I know many states won't even get it and it has sold out quickly in other locations. Feast or famine, I guess. Btw, haven't seen it going for over $25 yet around here.

19. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (155) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Do any of those places with Bolt Cutter ship? I'd like to get some.

20. Crookdrain

Eagle doesn't ship, and at $33, it's probably not worth paying any additional shipping cost anyway.

21. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (155) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Agreed, but I was responding to PsilohsaiBiN who said he hasn't seen it above $25 and said he could buy a case if he wanted to. I like that kind of party.

22. joehill

joehill Savant (300) New York Apr 11, 2008 Verified

most definitely!

23. PsilohsaiBiN

Sorry, they don't ship. It's just weird, figured it would all be gone by now. I've had one for about 2 weeks, and still haven't got to try it yet cause I'm pretty busy this time of year. From what I've read so far, I should apparently drain pour, without bothering to take sip.

24. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

If Deca is any indication Bolt Cutter should be alright in 5 years time. . . If you love expensive IPAs however it's drinking great right now.

25. PsilohsaiBiN

I love IPAs and barleywines...I'll take my chances !

26. I'd be happy to trade some Bolt Cutter(me) for either Cherry or Coffee if anyone is looking.

27. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I have the same offer up. I have access to plenty of Bolt Cutter, for some Cherry Rye, and or possibly Vanilla(wishing someone would hook me up to finally get to try this).

28. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

you're probably not going to have much luck trading bolt cutter for bourbon county as they're pretty much exact same distribution, with bolt cutter being much more abundant.

ASUBeer likes this.
  29. Preluderl

Preluderl Advocate (570) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012 Verified

Found this out the hard way, unfortunately... :(

30. PsilohsaiBiN

I'll say it one more time, the amount of Bolt Cutter sitting out on shelves right now is mind boggling. Does it suck that bad(haven't tried it yet, workin like a dog)?

31. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (920) New York Dec 13, 2009 Verified

i liked it out of the gate and i do envision it becoming more tasty as the hops chill out and the booze mellows. there are some beers that actually do improve with age (BCBVS, BCBBrambleS, even founders Blushing Monk got a lot better over time)...however, YMMV. it could be a dud in a year.

MIA4IPA likes this.
  32. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Advocate (510) New York Jun 21, 2012 Verified

It's tasty but it's really too hoppy right now IMO. oh, and much too expensive in nyc.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH and redsand22 like this.
  33. PsilohsaiBiN

There had to be a reason that they did this with the hops. Perhaps they brewed a small batch of this years ago(knowing know that it will in fact age favorably), and when the hops fade it turns into a complex, more well blended masterpiece? One can hope, can't they?

34. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Advocate (510) New York Jun 21, 2012 Verified

I sure hope so since I don't plan on drinking my second bottle any time soon.

35. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (195) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Did this GI thread just turn into a BC one?

beerborn, fujindemon74 and cosmicevan like this.
  36. kingjohnh

kingjohnh Savant (475) New Mexico Nov 3, 2009 Verified

Rare > Normal > Coffee > Vanilla, though all are great.

37. Gatch

Gatch Savant (490) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Did these make it to MA? If so, where?!

38. Crookdrain

Just checked my Brooklyn beer store as well as Top Hops in the city - neither got any Cherry Rye and don't expect to for a few weeks, according to the distributor.

39. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 22, 2012 Verified

My local store, downstate Illinois, got a case of Coffee but zero Cherry Rye. They sound like that's it for this batch.

40. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (600) New York Feb 18, 2009 Verified

I checked at New Beer Distributors, they also said they haven't gotten Cherry yet (but had some Coffee in stock). Said the distributors were going to be sending it (but then added, "but you never know what you actually are going to get.")