1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island in Tx. email response

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Apr 17, 2012.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Had a buddy send me a surprise box last year with a KBS, a BCBCS and a Rare in it. And wouldnt you know it, the Rare broke, despite all the padding. I almost wanted to drink it out of the edge of the box, but the glass shards dissuaded me......

2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Strainer?

My hands smelled wonderful after rummaging through the wreckage.

3. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

Sofie is on tap at Flix!

4. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Sofie and Matilda are both on tap at The Hay Merchant in Houston.

5. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

That's a horrible, horrible story. I can't imagine the disappointment I would feel if that happened to me...I know it's just beer yada yada yada. But a Rare? That's fucking tragic...

6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I saw the pieces of broken bottle. Then the green. And I died a little inside.....

7. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

It's going to be interesting to see who puts these on tap around DFW. I believe Common Table won't which I support their reasoning. Will The Moth? Will my beloved Strangeways? I bet Chili's and other crappy restaurants like that throw them on and boot Rahr.

8. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

But will they ignore BCBS

9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

That would certainly be... crafty... of them.

HopAG likes this.
  10. mattisloco

I'd take as many kegs and bottles of that as I could, rent a storage space if my cooler couldn't hold it, and pop them all in 5+ years. At some point InBev will screw this beer up.

11. HopAG

Sadly this is true...

There will be a time that it will decline with their savage cost cutting of ingredients and materials

Wait until you see Rice Adjunct BCBS

Azzy likes this.
  12. Lutter

For the 5000th time... AB is not going to mess with something they can sell for $24 a 4-pack.

And rice was actually more costly than malt when they started using it in Bud. True story.

Oh, and BCBS is already cut with 3% non bourbon aged beer, apparently.

gtermi likes this.
  13. HopAG

DAMN IT LUTTER! IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE GLOOM AND DOOM ON BA!

Lutter likes this.
  14. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I disagree. The more logical argument here for Brito (InBev's CEO) is, "If we can sell 4-packs of BCBS for $24, but tweak it ever so slightly over time where no one will notice a change in taste, and it meanwhile decreases our costs by 15%, why shouldn't we?"

15. DanzBorin

This is exactly right. If you've read about this cornhole, you will realize that he'll do anything to cut costs so he can afford to rape... er I mean buy another brewery.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  16. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

FW Saucer had Honkers on last night.

17. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I'm sure the Moth will have it. It's just an "upscale" Flying Saucer.

18. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

exactly..
    look at every coke dealer in history, buy a great product and cut it as you build your fan base because they are hooked already.. BCS costs a lot of money- its high grade crack with most of you...

cfh64 likes this.
  19. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

I'd just like it if they would up their distro of BCBS to places that already get their other beers (READ: AZ), you know with all that talk of increased production/year-round-ness!

20. mattisloco

AZ? This is the Texas forum isn't it? I mean we let Oklahoma hang around but... Arizona? ;)

jaymesbawned likes this.
  21. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

You mean the SOUTHWEST forum? Granted a TX specific thread post, but I'm just saying some states that already have some GI but little to no BCBS might be a little more likely to get any or increased BCBS before TX.

22. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

You know I respect your opinion Show, but I really have to disagree with your analogy. I did not get my regular case that I usually do with BCS this year. Though had it several times on tap up north. It is still as good as ever. I can detect changes in BB Hellfighter batch to batch, I can sure as hell detect changes in a beer I have been drinking for at least 7 years. I don't play favorites, and if anything I wanted to like BCS less this year. Though it is as good as ever IMO, as far as what I have had anyway.

Show likes this.
  23. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

i gotcha champ. it is still really good, i meant give it 5 years or so..
    but thats just the pessimist in me i guess. i hope it never changes,
    i just can't see it being left alone

champ103 likes this.
  24. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Plus with John Laffler gone, who is left to blend the barrels? By the time TX gets BCBS I predict it will be going downhill.

HopAG likes this.
  25. HopAG

This, I have a feeling BCBS will start slipping soon

26. Lutter

This drunk man: Brett Porter. Brewmaster, Goose Island.

Jez, you guys really need to live life with a more positive disposition. It's like a funeral home in here. At least let them fuck it up first before starting criticism. :)

27. HopAG

I hear Lutter is on the Goose Island Payroll

aka Director of Marketing, InBev

These are rumors of course

28. Lutter

I'd be making a whole lot more money and I'd have an assistant to post of BA for me if I was a Director at InBev.

I'd also have them hyping Black Crown before the Super Bowl right now. Although after drinking that beer, "hype" may be completely impossible. :)

Insider knowledge... I hear that GI's next beer in their barrel-aged line is 'Beechwood County Brand Lime Lager'. They coat beechwood barrels with lime extract before allowing the beer to sit for 3 whole days. Sounds delicious.

bccocx likes this.
  29. HopAG

Well technically you are still broke Sr. Lutter Director of Marketing, InBev Bolivia

Chuk_Hell likes this.
  30. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I'm generally very positive with things I like, and not very positive with things I don't. One thing I don't like is foreign conglomerates that try to crush small businesses in America. So excuse my negative tone :)

cfh64, willandperry, frognot and 3 others like this.
  31. I think InBev is very aware that brand loyalty is huge. I don't think they'd change the recipe just to make a little more and risk losing almost all of their customers. Even if changing it was a "secret" it would leak and people would be furious.
    So I guess I have to agree with Lutter.

32. DanzBorin

Why not? They've changed WAY more popular beers with no regard.

jsboots21 and mattisloco like this.
  33. 1800Fulton

1800Fulton Initiate (15) Feb 5, 2013

Not sure where you heard that, but BCBS is 100% bourbon barrel aged.

34. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Per their FB page, Anvil Pub in Deep Ellum now has Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat on tap.

35. jgreeson

jgreeson Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 24, 2010

GI 312 Urban Wheat is at 3 Stacks in Frisco

GI IPA is at Holy Grail in Northwest Plano.

36. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

People were furious when Rolling Rock and Beck's were bought and production was moved elsewhere. And not a single fuck was given. Hell, they even have the balls to say that Rolling Rock is made at the Latrobe Brewery in St. Louis, MO. And you think ABI is afraid of a few beer geeks?

CBlack85 and mattisloco like this.
  37. DanzBorin

Not a good beer...

38. Lutter

Rolling Rock & Becks don't cost $25 a 4-pack.

39. Are yall referring to the 3% of BCBS this year that was aged in peated whiskey barrels? Technically, I guess that would not make it 100% Bourbon barrel aged but come on...its still a whiskey barrel.
    Hope they are hunting for a awesome blender with an awesome palate because I think laffler was key in BCBS the past years. Including the variations...Personally, I think their next variation should be Baudoinia. I think they are tapping into something real special with that beer(those barrels were left on the bottom rack, the same location that Rare laid while aging. Interesting enough, Baudoinia as more similarities to rare than any other bcbs-end rant)
    Just because they dont change the recipe, does not mean the same product will end in our glasses. Blending, is a big part of this.

canadianghetto likes this.
  40. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

That's just like your opinion, man.........