1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island, Revolution, or Half Acre

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Goosey, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I will be in chicago in January for one day, and thus, I can't make it to all three of these breweries like I want to. So, my first option is to go to Half Acre for lunch, and Choose between Goose Island or Revolution for dinner. If I run short on time though, I may have to pick just one. I have never been to any of these breweries, so bearing that in mind; which should I choose. Also, who is going to have cool stuff on tap in early January? Anyone know if Goose Island still has that Fulton and Wood creation from the fungus and the BCBS on tap, or if Half Acre will have any of the Big Hugs on tap?

2. If it helps you choose, Half Acre is not a pub. There is a new taproom that only serves Half Acre beer.

For me, I'd go to the Revolution brewpub. Definitely the best food of any pub in the city. Unless of course you can make your way to Munster to visit Three Floyds. Will require access to car.

3. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

go to rev. big hugs will probably go within a week or so (complete guess), and beaudonia i dont think is on tap at the goose brewpub.

4. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Going to Half Acre puts you more out of the way than several other places. If you started at Revolution, you could hit up Piece, Map Room, Goose, and Haymarket, and I believe they're all only about a mile away from each other. Also, Haymarket has the best sandwich in Chicago, The Riot. It's a spicy sausage patty on a nice roll covered in bbq pulled pork and giardiniera relish. Get the sweet potato tots as well. Mmmm...

AJacob81 and buzze40 like this.
  5. I would actually skip Goose Island.

Revolution is a great place for amazing food and really good beers.

Use this site (Beer Mapping) to help you get a sense of how far/close places are to each other: http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=chicago

Haymarket is a good choice also, but not close to Revolution. If you decide on Rev, I'd hit up Piece

willandperry likes this.
  6. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Revolution for sure. Goose Islands food is way overpriced and not that good, better than Haymarket's though. Piece is a good stop. Map room has a nice beer list but no food. If you want great food and a great beer selection check out The Fountainhead (but it is a little out of the way).

mecummins and MarcatGSB like this.
  7. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

agree with dvelcich, if you want a bunch of beer in one area its Goose, Piece, Map room, Revolution AND Local Option. (and hopefully Pipeworks soon!)

And i would not miss Goose Clybourne. they carry alot of beers on tap that are not in bottles. If Im going to try some new beers Im more likely to go there than Revolution... Rev does have straightjacket though which tips the scales on its own....

From that area both Half Acre and Hay Market is a couple miles away. Hay Market is right off the expressway, Half Acre you have a little longer drive time but neither are too far and both brew some great beer. Check the seasonals. Hay Market is more likely to have some barrel age stuff on now. Half Acre has big hugs out. all good stuff.

Have fun.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Depends what day you will be in as well. Revolution has an awesome brunch menu on Sundays and Haymarket is having their 2 year anny party on the 12th, which will have a bunch of awesome releases. Haymarket also has their barrel aged stout on tap right now and it's phenominal.

9. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I couldnt stop drinking this last night. So so so good

Drucifer likes this.
  10. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

This is one of those questions without a wrong answer. All three spots are great.
    Other has pointed out spots near Revolution and Goose.
    If you hit Half Acre you can easily hop across the street to Bad Apple and/or hit any of the German options (Glunz, Laschetes, or Resis).
    Have a great visit and let us know which one(s) you hit.

ControlledBurn likes this.
  11. Goosey

I guess I should say that my primary concern is beer followed by food. This is a beer trip, so mainly looking to try some epic beers I don't get down in Mo. So still Revolution? Seems like I am not getting any Bourbon County variant on tap. Can anybody tell me what the deal is with the Fulton and Wood series? Every other Fulton and Wood creation says it was on tap for two months, but this version seems to already be out; or is it? Thanks for all the other info, will check into Haymarket and Piece right now.

12. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I would not get your heart set on finding any Bourbon County because you'll almost certainly be disappointed. I'm not even sure you'll find any barrel-aged stout, given the short duration of your visit and only hitting 2 places.

EDIT: I bet if you give us enough notice, we Chicago BA's could share a bottle or 2 with you

13. foobula

As far as Fulton & Wood goes, I believe no one gets more than 1-2 kegs. Given that GI's beer calendar shows Baudoinia as being only a November 2012 release, I'm guessing we're on the tail end of the release now.

14. Goosey

I am now thinking of staying one more night in Chi town because of all these cool breweries ya'll are telling me about. The original plan was to stay in Chicago Wednesday night, head to Holland Michigan on Thursday stopping for a while in FFF, and hitting New Holland at night. Then Founders and Vivant on Friday, Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor on Saturday, and hitting either Dark Horse or Arcadia on Sunday while on the way to Bells. I just want to go to the places that have the most awesome beer, as this is a beer trip, but I will need to be eating (preferably well) along the way.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Acre (no relation to Half Acre) had some pretty good stuff on tap last week, which included Big Hugz and Baudoinia. It isn't too far from Half Acre either. I'd call ahead and make sure they have what you want on tap, but it is a pretty good lunch spot with a great draught list.

16. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

Just my 2 cents, but I think Goose Clybourn edges out Revolution for both food and beer options. Much bigger taplist, and it's got tons of brewery only stuff on tap. Food is better too, IMHO. That said, Revolution beer is great. It's just a shorter list. Both have their taplists on their sites, so you can see what tickles your fancy on the day. Small Bar on Division has really upped their food game, and on any given day has a killer list. Map Room still the coolest beer bar in the city. $8 cab from Goose. And you can walk to Local Option from Goose.

buzze40 likes this.
  17. It is really good. It is port wine barrels that were used to age bourbon, and then those barrels were used to age the stout. It is like a bourbon county with berries, so almost a bramble. I would recommend definitely making haymarket a part of your plans. Beer Bistro is not far from there either, though it depends on the night if they will have interesting stuff.

18. I've been to both Goose and Revolution and I'd go to Revolution. The food at Goose Clybourn was pretty good but the food at Revolution was "DAMN!"

As for beer, Goose is probably available where you live now (or will be soon). You might get lucky, but like others have said, their big Bourbon County beers aren't always available on tap (they haven't been in the last several times I've gone). So really you'd be benefiting only from pub-only one-offs and experimental offerings. They're good stuff, sure, but if that's not your goal...

Revolution's distribution hasn't left the state yet so everything they offer will be either new to you or something you can't easily get your hands on at home. And I also like their regular and seasonal lineups better than Goose anyway.

gpawned likes this.
  19. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Revolution is the best all around, when you factor in beer, food and atmosphere. Plus, Vas Foremost is right across the street, and you can find a lot of beers there for retail excitements.

pudgym29 and gpawned like this.
  20. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

This.

21. dsal89

I havent had Bramble Rye but i dont see Acrimonious being anything like Bramble. Indignant barrel aged with raspberries like at Fobab? Totally think it was amazing and that would be compared to Bramble but not Acrimonious.

Either way, it is an amazing beer

tinypyramids likes this.
  22. Most definitely not the same, but both VERY good. You need to get yourself some bramble if you like berry flavors in stouts.

23. dsal89

I wouldnt mind getting some but i dont have the ammo to try and land a bottle. Im sure ill end up trying it eventually though

24. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

acrimonious had some berry flavours in it, but it is not even remotely comparable to bramble. acrimonious has berry hints where bramble is very very fruit forward. two totally different beers that happen to both be barrel aged stouts. don't go into acrimonious expecting a fruit bomb, but do go into it expecting an exceptionally good barrel aged stout.

25. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

I'd hit GI for sure cause I say it in all these types of thread the others wouldn't be around if it wasn't for GI but that said Rev would be my second spot and HA is always a favorite of mine...

26. This was my first meal of the new year. Hadn't even seen your post. Also the angel's envy aged stout was still a flowin.

foobula and dvelcich like this.
  27. foobula

Just for the hell of it, I hit SmallBar Division for brunch. Pretty pleased with my progression of a pilsner to Five Golden Rings (Belgian ale) to Night Stalker. Also had my first taste of Benedictine liqueur which tasted delicious like maple syrup.

28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Did they have that Benedictine aged Westy 12 on tap still?

29. foobula

I wish. That might have made Westy 12 worth the $85.

Seeing as how they're both monk-made, a collaboration seems in order. In fact, I'm pretty sure God is demanding it.

30. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Revolution. Red Skull. Burger @ Kumas. #Win

dsal89 and gpawned like this.
  31. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

FWIW, the black earth burger at Goose Island is amazing. Order it with a Extremely Naughty Goose if you go.

32. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

BTW thought I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread- does anyone know if there are any places in Chicago or even southeast Wisconsin that have BCBS on tap or even for sale in bottles?

33. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

DeKalb.............but seriously http://www.beermenus.com/beers/goose-island-bourbon-county-stout-2012. I've seen it out at a few restaurants over the last few weeks, its certainly still around on draft at least.

34. tag

tag Disciple (65) Illinois Dec 1, 2012

If you really, really have your heart set on trying Baudoinia while in Chicago I had some at GT Fish & Oyster last night. Their food is really good but they don't have a giant beer menu.

35. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Depending on where you are in Chicagoland, it depends. GI Clybourn and Wrigleyville are good choices as is Revolution but my choice, given only one day, would be to hit Hopleaf.

36. Piece?

37. foobula

38. foobula

39. haha aw come on!
    Its hard to keep up with the Chicago beer scene from Oklahoma. Guess thats one more spot I gotta check out

foobula likes this.
  40. foobula

It's worth checking out. It isn't Chicago-style deep dish, and their guest taps are very few, but it's still decent in both categories. It does tend to get quite crowded at night.

My advice, unless there's a particular beer style you must try at Piece, I'd rather get my beer at one of the other choices already mentioned and get my pizza at Pequod's. Top notch deep dish not far from Wicker Park & Lincoln Park.