1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Sofie Paradisi

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by MarcatGSB, Feb 12, 2013.

1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm excited for this, hopefully it gets out of Chicago.

Per BSJ:

[​IMG]
    Meet a variant of Goose Island Sofie: Sofie Paradisi. Sofie, as you have come to know and love her, is a saison brewed with orange peel and aged in wine barrels. Keep citrus in the family, Paradisi uses grapefruit.
    60% Ale aged in barrels with grapefruit, 40% ale.
    Style: Saison (w/ Grapefruit, Barrel Aged)
    Availability: Draft only, as of 2/12/13

6.7% ABV
  2. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Nice!!! So this will be tap only?
  3. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Availability: Draft only, as of 2/12/13

sounds like it, but sounds delicious as well
    Scalzo likes this.
  4. This sounds delicious.
  5. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Dammit! I left Chicago yesterday and was at GI.....
  6. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Cant wait, Sofie is already one of my favorites now I cant wait to try a variant of her I mean... it
    Centennial likes this.
  7. Sounds tasty. Sofie is one of my favorite year-round beers, so I'd really like to try this one.
  8. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

ugggggggggggghhhhhhh that sounds like my dream beer . . . one of them, anyway.

I would build a kegerator just for that—so I can have 5.2 US gallons of this beer in my house, exclusively for my consumption. It would just sit next to my bed.
  9. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

So has anyone seen this on tap anywhere yet? It says "Availability: Draft only as of 2/12/13". I read that as available starting 2/12/13. Although I guess it could also mean that as of the date 2/12/13 the only plan is to keg it.
  10. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Not to be a downer, but I am curious of the quality of the grapefruit juice mentioned. Fresh squeezed? From concentrate? Something in between? With or without sweeteners? The parent company is very successful keeping their costs low, perhaps some of that has spread to GI.

To be clear, I'm not at all generically opposed to Big Beer nor do I believe GI "sold out" and is now crap. But that said, a negative side effect of GI being part of ABI is that I now question their ingredients a bit more than I would if, say, Bells was releasing this beer.
    MaxOhle likes this.
  11. markrmoser

markrmoser Savant (255) Illinois Jun 27, 2010

Had this last spring at the GI Mini Golf event during Beer Week, it was awesome, can't wait to have it again!
    dlello2 likes this.
  12. ISO: Growler Sofie Paradisi
  13. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

GI has yet to compromise the quality and ingredients of their premium line of beers. In fact, it seems like they are committed to maintaining them or bettering them to stay relevant and respected in the craft world.
    Scalzo, bstyle, JulianC and 4 others like this.
  14. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

This looks good.
  15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

The staff at Fulton has always been top notch craft brewers and I don't think would ever take such shortcuts. They tweeted some pictures of the tubs of cut, real citrus fruit a few months back when they were filling the barrels.
  16. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

Ah, fair enough. I'm not much of a Twitter guy so didn't see this. Good to know they're using the real deal fruit.
  17. ErmaGerd

ErmaGerd Aspirant (25) Iowa Feb 20, 2013

fantastic.
  18. Bay01

After much searching, found one of the pics

https://twitter.com/tomkorder/status/281166473001578496/photo/1
    mjohnson17 and dsal89 like this.
  19. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I have some awesome beers to whoever wants to send me a growler (or some sort of bottle) of this amazing sounding brew.
  20. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Glad to see they're finally sending this out into the world, it's been a perennial "we're messing with this" for at least 2 years now. I've had it numerous times straight from the wood, and it's delicious.
    MarcatGSB and JRBecks like this.
  21. where can you get this on draft? at one of the brewpubs?
  22. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Draft only and this beer is apparently getting close. Saw on twitter last night one of the Goose Island guys was tasting it. Said it was one to definitely try based on what he tasted. I'm hoping maybe Chicago Craft Beer Week. Check twitter @hopcastken. That's all the info I've seen.
  23. Who wants to pick up a keg and drop it off in NY?
  24. This. Would be so in on this.
  25. bstyle

bstyle Champion (805) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

It's amazing and it's 100% fresh squeezed juice...
    [​IMG]
    sfsean28, davey101, scud and 2 others like this.
  26. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Wow, nice! Where is that?
    bstyle likes this.
  27. fmccormi

Didn't beerpulse post something recently about "Grapefruit Sofie" getting bottles? Wouldn't this be that beer?

Edit: this is what I was referring to: http://beerpulse.com/2013/04/goose-island-halia-sour-peach-saison-coming-to-bottles-video-162/

As for bottles or no bottles for "grapefruit Sofie," it's unclear, I think. Anyone that knows more about this, please do chime in—Sofie Paradisi bottles would be most welcome in my fridge / gullet. Well, bottles in fridge, but not gullet.
    frankthetank86 likes this.
  28. Halia = Mae (Soured Sofie with Peaches)

Sofie Paradisi = Grapefruit Sofie

We've seen keg labels for Paradisi.. but no bottle mockup as far as I can recall.
  29. fmccormi

Yeah, I've seen the keg approvals but no bottles . . . here's hoping.
  30. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I had no idea sofie was partially aged in barrels. Learned something new today.
  31. Bay01

Draft only in Chicago, next month.
    pschul4 likes this.
  32. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Tweet from GI today said draft only next month in Chicago and limited other nearby markets. The Keg Stand in Des Moines said they were getting some, but weren't sure on an exact date.
    BrettHead and Herky21 like this.
  33. Bay01

A small amount will make it out of Chicago but this will almost certainly be a DONG anywhere it goes
  34. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (260) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

Fyi, some of it has, thankfully, reached Atlanta.
    RDMII likes this.
  35. JellyJacket

JellyJacket Savant (260) Illinois Dec 5, 2012

So I tried this tonight at the 25th Anniversary party at the Clybourn pub - I actually didn't notice too much of a difference. Still ridiculously refreshing and nicely tart and all that, but the only place I really noticed the fruit difference was in a more resinous, grapefruit-y nose.
  36. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

There was a huge difference in my and brother in law opinion. The grapefruit was extremely prominent and front facing on this beer. Absolutely spolid.
  37. JellyJacket

JellyJacket Savant (260) Illinois Dec 5, 2012

Yeah? I'll have to give it another go, side by side. Given, tasting 11 beers in succession at a crowded event isn't ideal, but I also expected a lot more barrel quality to it.
  38. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Going to a CCBW event next week where this is being poured ,looking forward to trying it as Sofie is one of my fave summer beers.
  39. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Confirmed by GI that its intended to be DONG.
  40. I know a few places in the greater DC area that has it.

Sofie is one of my favorite beers by them and this version is every bit if not more awesome!