1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island Sofie Paradisi

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by MarcatGSB, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mynie

mynie Advocate (695) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

They had it in Lafayette, Indiana and it was fantastic.

2. Hoping they will have this available at some point during the two weeks i'm in town next month...

3. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

As mentioned, one bar got it in Atlanta. It was phenomenal.

4. On the ACBF list, so psyched after reading this thread!

5. It's in Philly according to Philly tap finder yesterday.

Hope to try it eventually.

Love me some Sofie with some age on her.

Enjoy

6. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (415) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

Is this part of the Fulton and Wood series?

7. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

No.

8. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Edit - current F&W is Dark Traveler, next is Cucumber Pils

9. DRBiser

DRBiser Savant (405) Maryland May 4, 2012

Sofie is a delicious brew and clearly well crafted. It's up there for me. Had very high hopes for the Paradisi and just finished my first glass. At first sip it seemed even more refreshing and interesting. However, as the beer warms a touch, I could not get over the almost overwhelming smell and taste of over-ripe citrus. I eat a lot of oranges and grapefruits, and I know the taste all too well when they're past their prime....

I'm probably being a bit hyper-critical, but just curious if anyone else had the same experience

10. FYI, Chicago locals:

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=380

Sat, May 18th 4:00pm
    to 7:00pm
    "Come join us at Binny's Lincoln Park for a special 25th Anniversary tasting! Current Brewmaster Brett Porter & Former Brewmaster Greg Hall will be on hand to talk everything Goose Island and sample out some of Goose's award winning beers. We'll also be sampling 2 special beers as well, Bourbon County Baudonia & Sofie Paradisi!

This event is free for everyone, just drop on by!"

11. We have some up here in Rochester NY. I also have seen pics of bottles and video of them being bottled in the brewery which leads me to believe that we will be seeing a release of the bottles soon....I hope.

12. beerbar

beerbar Zealot (90) Massachusetts Dec 15, 2007

On Tap at Moe's Tavern Lee Ma

13. I am proud to say that I personally tapped the first Paradisi sixtel in Philly at work. It was at Hawthorne's and was phenomenal. It wasn't bitter at all, but juicy with the aromatic punch of grapefruit minus the dryness of rind.
    The sixtel kicked fairly quickly (four days).

14. Eulogy had it on last night, probably still do. Only in the upstairs bar though.
    It is excellent.

15. I had it on tap at the Pony Bar UES in NYC earlier this week. Really nice.

16. Had it on tap at Dexter's during Madison Craft Beer Week and it was amazing. No bitterness from the grapefruit at all, which was my main concern, and my non-beer loving girlfriend and mother really enjoyed it. Can't remember the last time I had a saison that satisfied me this much.

17. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (270) New York Oct 21, 2004

[quotein "ShanethBarber, post: 1320509, member: 732357"]We have some up here in Rochester NY. I also have seen pics of bottles and video of them being bottled in the brewery which leads me to believe that we will be seeing a release of the bottles soon....I hope.[/quote]
    Where in Rochester? The Blue Monk had it in Buffalo and it sold out. I have not seen it yet in Rochester.

18. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Did this today, they were VERY generous with their free pours, I must say. I must have had a good 6oz of boudoinia, paradisi, and 25th each.

I also got a chance to ask Brett Porter if they've ever brewed a Brett Porter, and to my surprise, they have! And it sucked apparently.

davey101, cnbrown313 and jRocco2021 like this.
  19. Brett Porter? what a sweet puntastic name for a brewer!

20. Does anyone know where in nyc they might be tapping this?

21. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (445) New York Jun 21, 2012

It's been on tap at plenty of places in nyc so far. Pony Bar, Rye House, Dive Bar, 4th Ave Pub (Brooklyn)...etc. Looks like the only place that still has it on tap right now is Rye House though

22. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

It's been all over Georgia, bars and growler fill stations. It's seriously delicious. Much, much better than regular Sofie. Well done, GI.

MrRockstar likes this.
  23. i hope they end up bottling it! i'll be checking out rye house soon, hopefully i end up tasting this.

24. J-Sauce

J-Sauce Disciple (55) California May 3, 2013

Saw this on tap yesterday at Steam Haus Gastropub in Corona, CA and didn't try it. Wish I would've seem this thread beforehand!

All you southern California Sofie fans, get over there!

25. Had this the other day at my local bottle shop. Tasted like a perfect blend of saison and sour. So refreshing. So flavorful. So delicious.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  26. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (445) New York Jun 21, 2012

There will be plenty more tappings of Paradisi. You shouldn't have a problem finding it

27. bohollyday

bohollyday Zealot (75) Delaware Feb 27, 2010

This was on tap at Max's in Baltimore on friday....so f'n good!

gillagorilla likes this.
  28. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Had it on tap at JL Beers in Grand Forks, ND this past week. Very good beer, but not necessarily my style.

29. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

Have there been any sightings of this on draft anywhere in Michigan?

30. Had it at Pinocchio's in Media DelCo two weeks ago quite good and drinkable as well as refreshing.

31. I hope Naja's Place has Sofie Paradisi on deck for the GI takeover.

32. What happened to dry hopping with citra?

33. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Judging from the comments in this thread, I am seriously disgusted with InBev and how they managed to ruin a craft beer legend.

JMurphy41 likes this.
  34. atomic

explain

jakethesnake9z9z likes this.
  35. atomic

FYI, Acre on clark street will probably still have Sofie Paradisi tomorrow. They still had a lot left tonight when they closed.

36. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Had a glass (10 oz) at Whole Foods (Plymouth Mtg, PA) yesterday. Really nice. I'm not sure if grapefruit juice is just added or if it's brewed w/ grapefruit juice. Either way nice job.

37. Smw356

Smw356 Zealot (75) Ohio Jan 14, 2013

I've had this twice and it seemed like an incomplete beer to me. It has the brett character of an aged Sofie, and some pleasant grapefruit aromatics, but the taste is just replaced with a really stale cardboardish 2x4'ish barrel flavor.

I think I'd rather have a normal Sofie hands down.

38. Any sightings of this in CT? I know we got BCBS and the variants considerably later than NY/MA, so I'm still holding out hope for this one. Sounds like it would be up my alley.

39. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

I had it at Spitzer's in Lower East Side, in NYC. My favorite saison so far.

40. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Had some of this at the Hackney's on Printer's Row this past weekend. I found it to be surprisingly very sweet. It had a lot of sourness and citrus fruit on the nose, but the palate came across unusually sweet.