1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island to bring back Big John and Night Stalker

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by WillCarrera, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (495) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

josephwa and AndyAvalanche like this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Yep, got a sixth of each heading my way...

3. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Beautiful! Both great beers.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  4. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

yeah i heard from my beer buyer that night stalker would be back in 2 weeks the other day. i have a 02/19/10 release in my cellar now and a march 2011 release of big john in the cellar now. cant wait to add more of these!!!

JCaweinstein and tjshippen like this.
  5. For those in the area there seemed to be plenty of vintage Big John and Night Stalker in the to-go fridge at GI Clybourne when I was there last weekend.

6. vbiliyar

vbiliyar Savant (295) Wisconsin Jan 13, 2008

Aahhh fuck yeah. I loved the one Nightstalker I had a few years ago. Wonder if it will make it out to Boston, seeing as we haven't even seen BCBS yet...

7. Have both Night Stalker & Big John in the cellar. I've tried NS, not BJ. However, was pretty unimpressed with NS. Hope it cellars better. Frankly as non apples to apples comparison, logistics, business standpoint, so on, I'd rather GI put their development energy elsewhere!

8. AJacob81

AJacob81 Savant (255) Illinois Mar 15, 2010

NS cellars very well, imho. We had a 2010 about a month ago, and 'twas deliciously smooth.

9. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

I'd buy Big John again!

ABisonEgo likes this.
  10. cjacobsen

cjacobsen Savant (330) Illinois Aug 26, 2010

Big John is/was awesome

Bay01 and ABisonEgo like this.
  11. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

NS is awesome fresh (so good that I have never aged it, lol). It has a super grapefruity nose etc. from the generous hopping :) Can't wait for NS to return!

Tilley4 likes this.
  12. Big John is basically unbourbon'd BCBS...;)

menkros likes this.
  13. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

My buddy has about 2 cases of Night Stalker at his place. I completely forgot it was kinda retired.

mwrecording likes this.
  14. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

big john is bcbs base stout aged on cocao nibs. night stalker is the same base beer, just dry hopped. bcbs is the same base beer barrel aged. so yes, you are somewhat correct

redblacks75 likes this.
  15. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

What were prices like though? Always seem to be pretty steep for to-go beer..

16. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (750) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

Hooray for more Night Stalker!

17. Ugh, I gotta say...I still stand morally opposed to a lot of what AB does....but damn...year round BCBS, the return of some other impressive beers, and another big barleywine in the making? I...want...to...stick...to...my...scruples.... :)

Note: I do, on occassion, still buy GI products and generally love 'em...

18. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Very nice! Big fan of those

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've never had Big John but Nightstalker was killer good and it ages with the best of them.

Etan likes this.
  20. boognish666

boognish666 Zealot (90) Nebraska Dec 20, 2010

If I remember correctly they had 2010 NS and 2011 BJ and both were going for $20/bomber. They had a fairly decent vintage bottle list. No BCBS unfortunately but I wasn't really expecting it either.

21. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Honestly I wasn't impressed by either of these beers. They were good beers but nothing great.

ohiobeer29, Pahn and ShogoKawada like this.
  22. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Haven't tried either myself, but what I'm thinking is... they must have been retired for a good reason, right? Was that good reason so they could maximize BCS production? Or weren't they selling well?

23. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I believe it was to maximize BCBS production.

I'm still waiting for my Bourbon County Brand Chocolate Stout (Big John was supposedly released in the first place because they didn't have enough bourbon barrels, but I got to try it at Sheffields, and it was my favorite variation there).

pschul4 likes this.
  24. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Night Stalker sat on shelves collecting dust all year long in my area.

Big John has only been released once before, so without a long track record I'd guess that was dropped to make room for other beers.

VonZipper likes this.
  25. I loved them both on release. I have 2010 and 2011 Night Stalker and Big John cellaring. Never understood why these were discontinued. Glad to see them coming back!

26. I assumed they were discontinued so that GI could focus on upping the production of its core beers and also introducing new or returning beers again.

27. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Batch #1 Nigh Stalker, right now, is one of the best non BA stouts around. Thick as molass; a small amount of the hop bitterness persists; a slightly sweet, but balanced by an equally robust amount of roast.

Thickfreakness likes this.
  28. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

nightstalker didn't sell very well. sat on shelves for years (still can find it in popular stores in NYC). big john took awhile to sell out but it's at least not easy to find anymore.

both are good beers.

29. Score, maybe I'll drink the bottle of Big John I have now!

30. dvelcich

Just bought a 2012 Night Stalker, so if you're interested be on the lookout.

31. where at?

32. dvelcich

Sent you a BM.

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I agree man, once the Hop settled (which was great fresh), it really turned into one of the best Impy stouts I've ever had.

34. freyguy10

freyguy10 Zealot (90) New York Jan 16, 2011

night stalker can stay retired but Big John was very underrated as a stout, very well done

Jfriz25 likes this.
  35. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Nightstalker was at South Loop Binny's as of Black Friday, near the checkout lanes.

36. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Great news! Just in time for the TN release!

37. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Only had Nightstalker at a tasting and never had Big John so if anyone sees any in the NW burbs shoot me a BM

38. Irishace9

Irishace9 Savant (315) Illinois Sep 7, 2012

Enjoying a Nightstalker with Sunday night football!

39. Vega406

Vega406 Aficionado (120) Indiana Sep 30, 2009

Looking forward to finding some Nightstalker around!!

40. Picked up a Nightstalker this weekend. Need to crack it open and see what all the excitement is about.