1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island to bring back Big John and Night Stalker

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by WillCarrera, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Found a Nightstalker at Binny's in Bolingbrook, IL yesterday. Good stuff.

2. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

So Big John was slated for Nov. as well, but no reports on that yet. Anyone have any info?

3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Big John came on shelf here Wednesday along with Night Stalker. Psyched for NS, but not a fan of Big John so much.

dvelcich likes this.
  4. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

IMO Nightstalker needs 6-9mo of cellar. The hops bite pretty hard fresh. Once they settle though, watch out - fan-friggin-tastic. Big John I've only had with 6+ months on it, never fresh. Better than Nightstalker by margins.

RyanMM likes this.
  5. dvelcich

Makes sense it ends up in NY first. :confused:

6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (780) California Jan 31, 2005

Pre-Trade???;) J/K

7. Thanks for the feedback. I definitely enjoyed it, but I thought the same about the hops when my buddy and I split one last weekend. Based on this, I'm gonna let mine cellar for a while and see how it tastes next year sometime.

8. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

I had a year old Big John about a month ago and was really impressed. I thought it was excellent.

JackHPatterson likes this.
  9. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

I think that is the case because I just tried this the other day and absolutely hated it. I also don't like fresh Expedition or any overly hoppy stout though. I'm not sure Nightstalker deserves another chance...

10. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

i agree whole heartedly on this. i did a side by side last night and it mellows out quite nicely. I find that both this and expedition stout are much much better aged...as they are both quite abrasive fresh

11. had night stalker on tap last night at cc in hoboken. I didn't really like it, but it may still be there if anyone in the area wants it.

12. I just opened my last Big John to decide if it was a good idea to bring it back.

It was.

13. PourGuy

PourGuy Disciple (50) Illinois Dec 28, 2012

Stumbled upon some Big John this week while searching for other brews. Bottle dated 12/07/12.

14. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

I know Big John and Night Stalker are slated to be on tap and many places in January in central NJ, but have not seen any bottles of either in NJ. I did get some Night Stalker in PA though.

15. Big John shelved in Minneapolis, seen it for as little as $8.99/650 ml.

16. mcritchi

mcritchi Aficionado (110) Minnesota Jan 13, 2010

Really? Where?

17. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Anyone know around how much this should retail for. Just saw some but I didn't grab any.

18. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

both go for 9.99 in chicagoland

RichD likes this.
  19. Saw Big John & Night Stalker at Berkots grocery store in Orland Park yesterday. $9.99

20. They got Big John and Nightstalker at woodman's in Onalaska Wisconsin for 8.99 apiece. There's plenty of bottles in stock too .

21. Got a bomber of night stalker for $13 in Philly

RichD likes this.
  22. dvelcich

Tried a new batch against the old batch of Big John... Aged won, hands down. No contest.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  23. I had both fresh with in the last 2 weeks and disagree with others. I think the Hops in the Nightstalker gives it a little more complexity. The Big John definitly needs aging to mellow the booze.

24. Where did you find it in Philly?

25. The beer store Southampton actually right outside of Philly on 233. They sold out though

26. The beer store Southampton right outside Philly on 232. They sold out though

27. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (375) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Nightstalker hit Mass got 2 bottles at Yankee Attleboro. Bottled in Nov 2012

28. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Nightstalker and Big John(the better of the two IMO), both $9.99 at Woodmans in Rockford.Should be all around Chicagoland by now.

pschul4 likes this.
  29. Blue Max in Burnsville has a few bottles, Firehouse Liquors in Northfield. When I said Minneapolis, I guess I should have said Metro. I didn't see it at Zipps.

30. Got both Nightstalker and Big John at Whole Foods in Columbus. Both for around $8-9 if I remember.

31. Stumbled on to a Night Stalker in Mokena. Always have the best of luck finding things when not looking for them!

32. ScottK22

ScottK22 Savant (370) New York Dec 30, 2010

I picked up 3 bottles of Night Stalker about three weeks ago for $9.49 each. They were bottled on 11/19/12.

33. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Definitely agree. Big john is way better

34. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Had a Big John from the latest batch last night and thought it was pretty damn good.

st9647v3 likes this.
  35. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

2012 nightstalker is so much better than last years. drink immediately.

36. Just picked up a bottle of each tonight actually

37. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I searched all over the place for an answer to this, without any success...

This year's Night Stalker is labeled as being best within 180 days of the bottling date, compared to past vintages which claimed to develop in the bottle for 5 years.

That's an awfully drastic change. Does anyone here have some insight on this one?

EDIT: Also, this year's Big John bottles recommend no more than one year of cellaring. Weren't they also said to develop for 5 years in the past?

38. SDG1070

SDG1070 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jul 13, 2012

Picked up 3 bottles of Nightstalker today at Kroger in Cincy for $7.99/bottle.

39. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

Tried Night Stalker last week for the first time at a tasting in FL and thought it was fantastic. Back to Cincy and I've landed it at two different locations. No spotting of Big John yet though.

40. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

You happen to drink any of those yet? I had one with the same bottle date and it was absolutely awful, had to drain pour the second half. I'm pretty sure there had to be something wrong with it, and I noticed some reviews that mentioned that batch was definitely off. I had never had it before, so I don't know for sure.