1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Goose Island to bring back Big John and Night Stalker

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by WillCarrera, Oct 26, 2012.

1. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Member

Definitely err on the side of caution I just cracked my 11/19/2012 -1215 and can confirm there is an infection here. I had this a week ago in FL not sure what batch and it was amazing. I'm very disappointed this is a great beer typically.
  2. I like Big John. Unique & refreshing. Lil tartness with the chocolate added. Damn good though
  3. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

Ugh, you bastard. Whole Foods in NYC sold Big John for $11 and Nightstalker for $17 - and WF usually has some of the most reasonable prices in New York.

That said, with Madame Rose, Big John, Nightstalker, and all the Bourbon County releases - my beer stash has taken on a significantly heavy Goose Island leaning of late.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  4. SDG1070

SDG1070 Member

Unfortunately, the first bottle I opened was infected and was undrinkable. I poured it down the drain. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I have been looking forward to trying this.
  5. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Member

I'm in the same boat (any my review reflects my first impression of the beer...not good). I'm a huge BCBS/variant fan so it didn't make sense why dry hopping the base would make such a drain pour by comparison
  6. ScottK22

ScottK22 Member

Funny you should ask...... I just finished reading a thread about infected Night Stalker. I actually haven't cracked one open yet. I'm now very nervous, I was really looking forward to some good Night Stalker.
  7. goalie33

goalie33 Member

$9.49??? That's amazing! I almost didn't get any because stores near me had it for $17!

Anyone else feel like prices have been jacked up on this batch? I remember it used to be $12.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

The last release was definitely in that 10-12 range, but Ive seen alot of reports saying that's what people are paying...maybe it's your local store jacking up the price.
  9. Monsone

Monsone Member

My guess would be that Nightstalker is a highly hopped stout and they intend the beer to be drunk while the hops are still highly present. Same guess to Big John, GI probably believes that Big John's cocoa nib flavor is degraded when aged more than a year.
  10. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

Just checked, saw I picked up an 11/19. Reviews on Ratebeer regarding that date of bottling are certainly mixed, so I'm going to sit on it and hope for the best. Nothing like building a sense of anticipation!
  11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Member

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/is-night-stalker-infected.59193/page-3#post-796892
    Some good insight there as to off flavors, and such...
    Also there are some posts quoting Lafflers twitter feed, that claims they used different hops this time around, compared to last batch.
    Also, I feel like the "Drink before" dating on these more recent bottles might have something to do with AB, and possibly the idea that they plan to brew this beer yearly, and if you tell people to hang onto bottles for 5 years...and they are sitting around, why buy more? I'm not positive they intended to re-release these beers after those batches a couple years ago. Just a thought.