1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Goose Island to bring back Big John and Night Stalker

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by WillCarrera, Oct 26, 2012.

1. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (370) Ohio May 13, 2008

Definitely err on the side of caution I just cracked my 11/19/2012 -1215 and can confirm there is an infection here. I had this a week ago in FL not sure what batch and it was amazing. I'm very disappointed this is a great beer typically.
  2. JackHPatterson

JackHPatterson Aspirant (25) Jan 3, 2013

I like Big John. Unique & refreshing. Lil tartness with the chocolate added. Damn good though
  3. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Savant (485) New York Feb 18, 2009

Ugh, you bastard. Whole Foods in NYC sold Big John for $11 and Nightstalker for $17 - and WF usually has some of the most reasonable prices in New York.

That said, with Madame Rose, Big John, Nightstalker, and all the Bourbon County releases - my beer stash has taken on a significantly heavy Goose Island leaning of late.
    IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  4. SDG1070

SDG1070 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jul 13, 2012

Unfortunately, the first bottle I opened was infected and was undrinkable. I poured it down the drain. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I have been looking forward to trying this.
  5. I'm in the same boat (any my review reflects my first impression of the beer...not good). I'm a huge BCBS/variant fan so it didn't make sense why dry hopping the base would make such a drain pour by comparison
  6. ScottK22

ScottK22 Savant (345) New York Dec 30, 2010

Funny you should ask...... I just finished reading a thread about infected Night Stalker. I actually haven't cracked one open yet. I'm now very nervous, I was really looking forward to some good Night Stalker.
  7. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (330) New York Dec 3, 2009

$9.49??? That's amazing! I almost didn't get any because stores near me had it for $17!

Anyone else feel like prices have been jacked up on this batch? I remember it used to be $12.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

The last release was definitely in that 10-12 range, but Ive seen alot of reports saying that's what people are paying...maybe it's your local store jacking up the price.
  9. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

My guess would be that Nightstalker is a highly hopped stout and they intend the beer to be drunk while the hops are still highly present. Same guess to Big John, GI probably believes that Big John's cocoa nib flavor is degraded when aged more than a year.
  10. MisterBisco

Just checked, saw I picked up an 11/19. Reviews on Ratebeer regarding that date of bottling are certainly mixed, so I'm going to sit on it and hope for the best. Nothing like building a sense of anticipation!
  11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/is-night-stalker-infected.59193/page-3#post-796892
    Some good insight there as to off flavors, and such...
    Also there are some posts quoting Lafflers twitter feed, that claims they used different hops this time around, compared to last batch.
    Also, I feel like the "Drink before" dating on these more recent bottles might have something to do with AB, and possibly the idea that they plan to brew this beer yearly, and if you tell people to hang onto bottles for 5 years...and they are sitting around, why buy more? I'm not positive they intended to re-release these beers after those batches a couple years ago. Just a thought.
  12. I know this is an old thread, but I don't see Big John on GI beer calendar. Did they ever bring it back? What did they finally decide?
  13. I don't think so. I bought a bottle of Big John at Lincoln Park Binnys on Black Friday and it was dated 12 of 2012
  14. trep

trep Savant (275) West Virginia Jun 6, 2005

GI is going to release a 10% imperial stout in September called "The Muddy". Made with molasses, brewers licorice, and Belgian dark candi sugar.
  15. I was going to guess something similar. Night Stalker is a hoppy stout, meaning one of the things that makes it unique would disappear over time.

As a matter of fact, I've never quite understood the point of cellaring stouts like NS and Storm King. If you need to cellar it to get rid of the hop bite, just buy a non-hoppy stout.

On topic: I wasn't wild about NS (I prefer my stouts with little to no hop presence), but I am curious to try Big John.
  16. just opened my last bottle of Big John from 2012 (I think) a few months ago, and it was fantastic
    Matthew1788 likes this.
  17. I have had both beers, they are nice but nowhere near as good as most RIS or even close BCBS for that record. If people love these beers, I am happy for them that they are back.
    Ristaccia likes this.
  18. Here's to hoping the Big John I have an IP trade set up for tomorrow has no infection issues. Hope the same for the Nightstalker downstairs. This is the first I had heard of any issues.
  19. I never knew they left since I have still seen them on shelves. I don't think we have Big John still though. I prefer them to BCBS so far, but we will see how it goes once I have it aged over the next few years.

Will this be bottled like NS and BJ or draft only?
  20. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

No. Big John, Night Stalker and Nut Brown are all off the calendar this year. Instead, we get Endless Session IPA!!!!!!!
    ERRL710 likes this.
  21. Lol, endless session IPA? It is called a drinking problem.
  22. trep

trep Savant (275) West Virginia Jun 6, 2005

4pk 12oz bottles and draft.
  23. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

aged Night Stalker holds up pretty well.
    Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  24. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

I hope they mix up the names. I'd like to see Night John and Big Stalker.
  25. Roguer

Roguer Champion (870) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I've never had Night Stalker, but I did have a 2012 Big John, and it was fantastic. Very smooth and rich.
  26. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

I'm partial to Big Night and John Stalker.
    ZachOfAllTrades likes this.
  27. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (905) California Oct 13, 2007

1. Mmmm, Night Stalker.
    Shroud0fdoom and NewGlarusFan like this.
  28. Night Stalker and Big John were both on tap at Rattle n Hum this past Saturday as were BCBS and BCBS Barleywine. I tried the Big John and felt at first like it tasted identical to BCBS. I noted this to the waitress and she shot me the lazer eyes and insisted it came from the right tap. As it warmed up, I did start to get tastes I wouldn't associate with BCBS, but I stand my initial feeling that I thought I was drinking a Bourbon County.

Given the nature of this thread, can anyone speculate as to age of the kegs I drank from?
  29. MisterBisco

If anyone wants to come pick up a bottle of 2012 Night Stalker from me in Brooklyn, you are welcome to it. Bought three, opened the first two, both were undeniable drain pours. Would rather not bother with the third bottle.

Seriously, PM me if you want it.
  30. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Savant (280) Virginia Sep 15, 2011

Opened a bottle of Night Stalker last October, split it with a buddy (He also had a bottle in his cellar), good lord was that beer awful, drainpour for sure. A month or so later, this same buddy opened his NS, it too was also a drain pour. He bought his in Chicago in 2012, and I bought my in VA in 2013.

Still have a bottle of Big John, had one at a tasting a couple of months ago, it was fantastic.
  31. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (375) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

You aren't giving me much hope for the two Nov 2012s I have in my cellar. My buddy opened and shared his bottle when they were all fresh and I've been scared to open mine ever since. I was so awful fresh. Tasted like straight up orange pith with some roasty. So, so bitter.
  32. MisterBisco

I thought mine tasted like rotten soy sauce, myself. I didn't know that soy sauce could go rotten, but there you go.

But hey, some people did give very positive reports from the same release, so who knows.
  33. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aficionado (115) Iowa Apr 22, 2014

This posts are not very reassuring for the 2012(?) bottle I have waiting to be opened. I feel like I'm just going to have to pop it open soon, get it over with and find out how she goes.
  34. Sounds like there might have been some infection problems. I came across a bottle of 2012 Night Stalker a few months ago and it was incredibly good. Wish I could find more of it. It reminded me of bourbon county minus the barrel aging. One of the best thick stouts I've had.
  35. BlackNote likes this.
  36. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (150) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Hah, I opened this thread because I was at Rattle and Hum on Monday and saw both on tap and was like woah, really? I wanted to try both but it was too early in the day :/
  37. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (355) New York Nov 21, 2008

They arent really at all similar really IMO. If you tasted bourbon in your glass it was bcbs. The mouth feel is really the only similarity that sticks out.
  38. Whaaaa? There's no such thing as too early!
  39. Love Night Stalker. Just last week I had the 2009 that I'd been cellaring. Outstanding. Have not had Big John.
  40. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (150) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

I agree, and I enjoyed a Troegs Sunshine Pils. I do however believe that lunch is too early for an 11+ % abv imperial stout!