Goose Island to Release More Than Twice As Much Bourbon County Stout This Year

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mtlasley, Jul 3, 2012.

1. since my name was mentioned above in reference to another thread, i have a couple of questions. first, i thought Hall was the summa'bitch responsible for the limited edition hype or purposeful shortages... let some people tell it? the original post sounds like "Hall" was working towards increasing production.

second, if the years are put into context, the physical year, 2011 would most likely represent BCBS 2010 vintage - or no? i'm not on my calculating game right now so forgive if i'm mistaken but based on what was quoted, i get the impression that there should have been twice as much BCBS in the physical year 2012 (i.e. BCBS 2011 vintage) - so, again, as i cue up Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On"??
    that's not exactly what i said. to be quite honest, while it's pretty obvious you disagree, you sound a lil sore, like maybe you've been unable to dig up anything substance based to refute what i offered.

you can start here, there's more direct information on the specific topic but pay attention to the 4th American whiskey named into the first paragraph:

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2012/6/23/shortages-price-increases.html

2. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (335) Illinois May 5, 2008

Someone I know says he helped to add cherries to the barrels. Since he works in beer retail, I have no reason to doubt him.

3. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

:D

4. hopefully it comes back to california... they can keep pere jacques if that helps...

5. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Only those bottled 10/12/12.

MaxSpang likes this.
  6. Bcbs is by far the best BA stout for the price. If it was released by Founders, Bells, FW, Bruery , etc it would be $25 a 750ml.

RyanMM, pschul4, Mavajo and 1 other person like this.
  7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Definitely. Take Avery Uncle Jacobs too - excellent but $10.99 per 12oz.

Prospero and kawilliams81 like this.
  8. I have heard the exact same thing so I would not hold my breath for the bcbs wheat this year. Bcbs cherry is for sure though this year (or early '13 depending on development obviously)

pschul4 and zchall23 like this.
  9. Too bad we don't get it :(

10. modern

modern Aficionado (220) Ohio May 31, 2012

I'm confused and this thread seems to be progressing in a different direction. Everyone agrees that the popularity of bourbon increases the availability of barrels in which to age beer in and therefore is helping to increase supply, correct?

11. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Good, the limit should be doubled for the folks in Chicagoland from 1 bottle to 2 bottles at select locations!

12. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (740) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Now I can not get twice as much.

13. Firestone Walker is on line 1.

TheJollyHop and buffs9 like this.
  14. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (570) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I love Parabola, but for my money, BCS is still the best regularly brewed bourbon barrel stout on the planet. Some things are just done right the first time.

15. It's not a judgement call as much as a statement that Parabola has a good "value" price as well. Unless you buy it from an independent joint that likes jacking the price on it to make a nice profit.

16. I agree Parabola is at a good price also at $15/bomber. Didn't need to throw them on that list really I guess. Interested what a 750ml of bcbs will go for.

17. I really liked the 4 packs. I think that the price/volume was comparable, but with a bomber the temptation to polish off the entire thing in one sitting was simply too great.

18. I will really not like it if they get rid of the 12 oz bottles all together.

Lordquackingstic likes this.
  19. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (635) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

When did they say they were going to bombers? Is that just a new rumor?

20. This is a textbook example of how rumors materialize out of nothing. Somebody I quoted was asking about potential bomber prices. I said that I preferred the bottles (which were more like 11 oz., but I digress). kawillliams misinterpreted my remark as saying the bottles were going away, and then you quoted the misinterpretation.

Pure gold. :)

21. pschul4

Yay science! Haha

22. beernut

beernut Savant (340) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Praise the buyout! I'm able to now pick up at least 7 different offerings from GI here in NJ. I cannot wait till the release of BCBS. Wonder if people (hard core geeks) will start saying it taste different because InBev took over.

23. EDIT: FW

24. Sorry, thought I saw something about bcbs going to 750's, which didn't make any sense. What does make sense is have 750's of all the Belgians.

25. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (695) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Same here in CT.
    Bring on BCBS, can't wait !:D

Cheers

26. pschul4

As long as we're talking about goose island is it too early to bring up FOBAB? :cool:

27. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (345) Florida Feb 18, 2011

So glad this is happening, can't tell you how frustrating it is not being able to trade for one. This should make things a bit easier now. :)

28. wyoming

wyoming Aficionado (140) Wyoming Sep 4, 2007

work on the carbonation! 2012 angels share

29. I'm surprised I missed this thread initially. I have been wondering numbers so I'm glad to hear it although I hope they release it all at once because if they do it twice I still won't be able to land any.

30. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

I dont know, KBS holds its own and is priced slightly lower.

31. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Advocate (560) Kentucky May 13, 2003

Hopefully this gets BCBS back to what it used to be around 2007 through 2009. I could go into stores months after its release and pick some up. I even had an instance lat in 2009 where I went into a store in northeast Ky. and picked up a 4 pack of 08 BCBS. This is still one of my favorite brews.

32. mazerock

mazerock Aficionado (100) Colorado Jun 13, 2012

Don't think that will happen as much as we all would like to happen, It will get bought out as soon as it hits the shelfs... EVERYONE knows about this beer but many have not had it... Cross your fingers.

Bung likes this.

33. I had heard this was going to happen. I was told that Nightstalker was being discontinued after the AB-InBev acquisition of GI because it was the base for the BCBS line and they want to put out as much of the BCBS stuff as they could not sure if that is a good thing because usually when quantity goes up quality goes down and if this is true so much for AB-InBev taking a "hands-off" approach with GI.:( Not to mention I will miss Nightstalker.

34. It's a bit more complicated than that. For a while there was a lull in the popularity of bourbon, meaning that distillers weren't able to sell everything they'd made when they expected to and wound up with a lot of barrels sitting around for years longer than planned. Hence a glut of 15, 18, 20, 23, etc year old barrels were able to be released at the same time right when high-end bourbon got popular.

The problem, as I understand it, is that even as distillers were sitting on a ton of old barrels during slow years they were, naturally, making less new product so as to avoid a similar situation in the future - so when things did pick up, there weren't as many 10-12 year old barrels aging as there would have needed to be in order to meet the full demand for those age classes AND save a bunch of barrels to meet continuing demand for even older stuff.

Now distilleries are pumping out a ton of new bourbon, but it will be a decade or more before most of those barrels become available to brewers on the secondary market. In the meantime, despite record sales of bottled bourbon, there will likely be a shortage of high-quality, well-aged barrels.

35. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (550) New York Jun 11, 2007

Unless this means a sharp drop in price, I'll have to leave it on the shelves for the rest of you. You're welcome, everyone.

crushedvol likes this.
  36. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

I've had the majority of the top rate BA stouts and I couldn't agree more... BCS is the best!!

37. Do they release BCBS at the brewery? I've never made it to GI for a brewery release and I cannot remember what they released directly from the there

38. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (620) California Oct 29, 2008

AFAIK you can't visit the production brewery, but they do have the two brewpubs. Locals can tell you if they've had it in bottles. Certainly, it's been on draft at both (I think I had some at Wrigleyville in 2009) but I can't speak for bottles. Their site at least says nothing about visiting the brewery.

39. Sorry I meant the Clybourn brewpub. I know that have had releases there in the past just not sure what for

40. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (620) California Oct 29, 2008

Gotcha. Well, if they're going to make as much of it as they say, hopefully there won't be a need for special releases.

pschul4 likes this.