1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gose, let's talk about it.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tolar111, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

Last night I had my first Gose, as I stated in the LNBA thread (or whatever it's called) it was the first time I've ever seen it outside of the extra long neck bottle that Leipziger Gose uses. I would love to grab one of those, but they're always covered in dust. The 12oz bottle of Leipziger I grabbed actually had a best before date on it and tasted fresh.
    I enjoyed it and plan on grabbing a few more. What are your thoughts on the style and are there other brands out there that are worthy?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Etan likes this.
  2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I really enjoy it, but it's just too obscure to have on a regular basis. Had very few small count on one hand, really enjoyable ones, but they of course were all on tap. And many brewers don'ts seem keen on making them often.

Too bad, great style.

tolar111 likes this.
  3. I love Gose, and if you can find it, try Ritterguts Gose, it was recently brought over by Shelton Brothers and it adds a slightly smokey sour taste and is really great.

tolar111 likes this.
  4. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

tolar111 likes this.
  5. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

The one you had is the definitive beer for it's style. I personally love it, but there are some shit ones out there (looking at you Salt of the Earth). If you can find it, try the Upright Gose. One of the best I've had. Also, John Laffler (former barrel master at Goose Island) is going to be creating what's supposed to be a year round gose offering in six packs when he gets his brewery going which I'm eagerly waiting to try.

Edit: Beat to the Laffler info.

tolar111 likes this.
  6. Just had Rapp Brewing's Gose in FL this past week. By all means try to trade for a growler of it. Amazing stuff.

beernads likes this.
  7. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Portsmouth brewery had a dunkel gose on tap when I was there a couple weeks ago. A lot of the characteristics of big Belgian beers I like, but light at the same time. They also had some bottles of it in their gift shop, so it is a trade possibility.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is what I had: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/596/63902. Not sure why it says retired, I definitely had a dunkel gose there a couple weeks ago.

8. jtdolla911 likes this.
  9. Hopefully I can try Upright at some point. But I had no idea Portsmouth made a Gose, I'll have to take a trek up next time they brew it.

10. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I had Portsmouth's Gose as well, lots of people really dig it, I'd actually like to try it again but it will have to wait for another return trip.

My favorite I've had to date was one from Farmer's Cabinet, called Marry Me in Goslar.

Always in the hunt for more Gose hunting! Sounds like I need to be out in the bush with a rifle. Also Leipziger on tap is fantastic stuff.

ericwo and corby112 like this.
  11. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

OP, are you able to purchase that bottle in the states? Not too long ago I visited the brewery in Leipzig and was very impressed with all of their beers, though I will say the Gose I had at the brewery in my avatar was bit tastier IMO. Even though this brewery (Brauhaus Goslar) is only a few years old, I'm pretty sure the Gose style (one of the oldest in Germany I believe) originated in the town of Goslar.

Unfortunately the bottles I brought back from the brewery were only a month from the best by date and were a shell of what I tried fresh as the source. I am very interested to try some other examples, it's definitely a very nice beer when done well.

12. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

Yes, I purchased my bottle locally (upstate NY). My bottle has a best before date of 05/24/13. I plan on grabbing a few more this week, as I stated, I have only seen the traditional bottle in the store in the past and never thought about purchasing because it looked old. I'll check the expiration date on one of those bottles next time. Now I want one of those glasses.

[​IMG]

13. I have only had 5 or so and my favorite of the bunch has been the one from Westbrook.