1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Got Pliny Jacked today at Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The plus side is you are only out one bottle. I can't get any Pliny here, but speaking of jacked: I had some Firestone Walker Double Jack on tap last night , and it was amazing. Is Pliny that much better? Not being sarcastic - just curious.

2. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Came for the lulz. Stayed for the butt-hurt.

3. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Awesome avatar! You can tell my first favorite game of all time from mine, but yours' is my second. :) To keep this beer related - I've never seen Pliny with no limit, but I only find it at stores that are uber beer geek paradises.

Lordquackingstic likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I gave Double Jack a 4.43 rating vs 4.22 for Pliny.

LambicKing and Chickenhawk9932 like this.
  5. No worries, my last few responses have been a bit rude to a few people on here so my apologies around as well.

6. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

Hype adds iBU's brah :)

Stockfan42 and Chickenhawk9932 like this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

No worries bro. I figured you might have gotten confused. Seattle's a pretty tolerant place, at least compared to a lot of other areas.
    I think we'd all better try to stay on topic from here on out.:)

8. If you played the part of a pussy, and didnt speak up, you deserve to get jacked.

9. e-machismo is the best kind.

draheim likes this.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Yea I know that guy, I told him to pick me up 15 bottles of Pliny and do whatever it takes to get em, especially cut in front of a fellow beer geek.

Joke.

Anyway, just be happy you live in an area that has that beer.

11. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

"Man i hate how there's it's such a pain in the ass to get Pliny, everyone is a jerk about it and buys it all up. I only want to buy a case to share with my friends."

12. I still dont understand why shooting him in the face with a large gun isnt an option. or smashing a bottle of Pliny on his head.

13. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Heh, I was thinking this too.

I had the pleasure of waiting in line with some folks for some heady topper today and as I watched two folks who had traveled a long ways for the Lawson's release each buy two cases, I just smiled knowing there was more behind the counter :p

As for the OP, yeah, you COULD have made a stink, or even mentioned it nicely/politely, but sometimes it's just not worth the effort haha. Also, never know how the douche bag who had to cut in front of you is going to react to your polite comment

Hopefully you will be rewarded next time with as many pliny as your heart desires haha

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  14. More Cowbell.

15. Derranged

If I brewed my own beer, which I plan on doing, I'd make a beer called Walken Wheat. Any ideas on how to make the beer more "Walken"?

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  16. Looking at his username, the visual I'm getting from his comment is a bearded dude in a pair of skinny jeans who just kicked the kickstand down from his bicycle.

17. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

god -- RUSSIAN RIVER and WHOLE FOODS are handling this horribly. the brewery either needs to up production or quit selling it in certain locations or through certain retailers.

for at least the past couple years it has been a joke, one or two weasels at each whole foods buy their whole supply every week. why is whole foods bothering with 2 cases at a time, that sell out to the same little group of weasels every week and then they have an empty spot on their shelf 6 out of 7 days of the week. they are not making that much money on the two cases.

i literally saw a napa whole foods employee show up delivering two cases of pliny. that was it, she left work on the clock and drover her own vehicle to a distributor or... the brewery?..... and got two cases that were gone in 24 hours, sold out to the same weasels that buy them every week.

18. So I walk in to Whole Foods today, see there's no PtE in the beer isle. Knowing today is their RRBC delivery or shipment day, I go over to the cheese counter where they hide them in the back and see some loser asking the clerk if they have it.

Clerk - Yes, How many.
    Loser - There is no limit correct?

Before she answers, I shove my basket at her and say give me 15. The bigger shocker was that she did it, and didn't finish his transaction first...oh well.

Clerk - How many was that for you?
    Loser - Five.

She comes back with 4 and says all out. ;)

Just messin with ya. Could be worse, you could have to wait for your friend who lives in San Diego to come home to PA (which he does maybe once or twice a year) to bring you 2 or 3.

19. franklinn

that was funny, paulys, but I think someone beat ya to it ;)

20. That's what happens when you reply to posts while at work....fucking work, always getting in the way of my fun.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  21. franklinn

Good fer nothin' work..... haha

22. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

To me, absolutely not. Should rename it Pliny the Underwhelming.

23. So, I get an email from a local bottle shop informing me that a shipment of Pliny has come into stock. Stoked as I am to finally having Pliny local to me; considering Im what, 5 hours or so from the brewery, I head my happy ass down to the shop. I see it sitting on the shelf, look at the price tag, and shit my pants. They have the nerve to charge $13 a bottle. I'm really not sure how I was able to not leave a snail trail of stench on my hasty retreat. So, while youre sitting there complaining about how you can only get 4 bottles on delivery (at $4.99 Im assuming), just think about those that can get it, but smart enough to walk away when theyre being gouged.

24. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

you should have threatened to start fighting people like he was cutting in line for The Wanderer...

25. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

<<<<< ****Grabs popcorn****

This is gonna be good... Way to turn a silly,however warranted, bitchfest into a full blown regional blood bath. Let the (insert favorite DIPA Here) is better than yours begin!

26. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Report them to Russian River, I would imagine they won't be happy to hear this store is using their product to rob their customers.

27. Im sure they have no control over the selling price at the shop. They are charging $30 for Parabola and when I spoke with the FW rep one night, he told me that while they discourage the high prices, they ultimately have no say in what the retailer charges for the product.
    The price for Pliny could be the reason why that particular shop only gets 1-2 cases a month. Sadly, people are willing to pay that much for it and it flies off the shelf.

28. Wonder why RR even bothers sending Pliny out that way at all, unless that shop is just one of several in the Bakersfield area that gets some. Considering that even some areas on the peninsula south of SF don't get RR (at least, that was my understanding from past RR threads), why not just cut the price-gouger off entirely and redirect those cases to less-shady retailers?

jrnyc likes this.
  29. franklinn

Not sure how cali's distro is handled, but in a lot of other places the brewery just send the beer to their distributor, with little to no say about where it goes. Again, not sure about cali's distro system.

Ey eo, fuck pliny! :p :p :p

:D

30. Other shops stock RR beers, but Imbibe is the only one that stocks PtE. They had a somewhat large "release" event about a month ago, and they boast the fact that they are the only shop that stock it in town. I called the distributor, but they wouldnt divulge any information on why they are the only ones that get it. A deal worked out with RR? I dont know.
    I sent an email to RR about it, but dont really expect a response.

31. i suffer from this incurable condition called fuk dat'. i wouldn't have bought anything. after he paid & exited, i know i could successfully knock at least 3 or 4 of those mugs to the ground. . . and keep right on running while he tried to keep from dropping the remainders.:D <joking of course, Todd & Jason>

32. accordselux

accordselux Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

Age it in barrels that used to hold fine champagne..

33. Did that, you'd still be out 1 bottle of Pliny

34. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

different beers but as well received as firestone walker's hoppy offerings are i think they are still, on the whole, underrated in beer geek land. not enough rare blended in with the hops.

35. Derranged

Not a bad idea.

36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I've never cut in front of anyone before, but a few years ago I was in TW when the distributor pulled up with 4 cases of Hopslam. I grabbed 2 cases off the U boat paid a clerk who had no idea about the 1 sixer limit then made the get away before anyone in Mgt could stop me. You do what you gotta do, but cutting in line is being a douche, could have been worse he could have bought them all.

37. but the sheer irony would be worth it considering it comes out again soon.

38. Well, you could "lager" it this way, though 7 years may be a long time to wait for it to be ready...:cool:

39. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I fail to see the difference.

Providence likes this.
  40. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

That's because no one else wanted Pliney with that much age on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.