1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gouden carolus Easter ale.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerCity, Mar 7, 2013.

1. BeerCity

BeerCity Aspirant (35) California Mar 6, 2013

Anyone ever had this? Opinion please.

Just got a few bottles given to me.
  2. Had it on tap last yet. It was good. I don't remember much about it in particular, but it was very solid if you like BSDAs.
  3. ^ I'm kinda in the same boat. I know I've had it, I can remember the style and that I enjoyed it, but can't remember anything defining/out of the ordinary about it. Though mine was from the bottle, not on draft.

Pop one and let us know!
  4. Hmm, I would like to try and find that. But they will never sell it in NH. I will have to go to Mass.
  5. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Ha tell me if you find it in Mass. I asked my local shop and they said they weren't going to try to get it. To google! and probably in the end to Allston if I wants it.
  6. madnismo

madnismo Savant (325) Florida Jan 30, 2011

loads of licorish, instant hangover.
    danieelol likes this.
  7. Just like the Noel, then? Too soon for me ;).
  8. BeerCity

The rep I got these from said they only do 2000 cases a year and that there are no kegs this year.

Will let everyone know what I think of it tomorrow .
  9. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Will have to watch for this.
  10. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Picked up 12 of these at TW in Clearwater last summer (clearance at $3.99 a pop, down from $9.99). Still cellaring them, but gave away 2. Would like to know what you think of them too.
  11. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

As luck would have it, I had a bottle last weekend with several other people.

It's really sweet'n'syrupy, Belgian, boozy, and has an absolutely massive licorice flavour.

I didn't like it much, no-one else there thought it was great.

Disclaimer: I don't really like Belgians outside of Saisons/Lambics.
  12. BeerCity

Weird! The rep sold out of there batch in three days. And they wish they could get more.
    Hopefully you scored!
  13. BeerCity

The disclaimer may have said it all.

If I didn't have to be up so early I would open one now.
  14. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

From memory, it was big and malty with a lot of Special B malt that provided a huge raisin note. I don't recall licorice being overwhelming or even present and didn't review it, but I remember liking it and it kicked my arse.
  15. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Keep in mind it's a different batch every year. Some years it is pale and other years it's dark. From what I've read, the past 2 at least have been strong dark ales.
  16. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, really much licorice and defenetely very much anis. As somebody said, it is quite close to christmas edition. But i am quite sure, it varies a bit batch to batch.

So..it is worth to try, but I wouldn't buy all the bottles I can find. :)

How much you guys pay those big carolus bottles in the States?
  17. It probably depends on where you are, but roughly $10 seems to be the norm.
  18. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

2 years in a row I've been looking for this beer to have it on Easter weekend. Anyone know where to find it in the New York or New Jersey area? Please don't direct me to beermenus, that site is not reliable. Thanks.
  19. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Ahhh. I didn't know that. When I had it a few years ago, it was dark and strong.
  20. Had a 2010 bottle back in mid-January. Pretty solid, but I'm not crazy about BSAs in general.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]