Gov. Andrew Cuomo signs bill designed to help New York’s small breweries

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by tolar111, Jul 20, 2012.

1. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

JoeyBeerBelly, ant880 and Sidebordz like this.

2. "West End Brewery"? Matt still uses that older name on occasion? Didn't know that. They changed the brewing company name from West End to F. X. Matt back around 1980 IIRC.

3. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

Last week I was engaged in conversation with BA fmccormi about Utica Club and I pulled out
    one of my mugs with the intent of pairing it with a can of UC for a Late Night BA post. The
    mug has the old (19th century?) logo on it like this:

[​IMG]

so the name stuck in my head. I've been to the brewery and they give a great tour.
    I have to believe that the locals are inclined to refer to the physical location as The West
    End Brewery whether or not the company chooses to use that designation, kind of like
    when old timers refer to Utica Club as Uncle Charley.

4. Oh, OK. The wording in the OP made it sound as if Matt themselves were going "retro" (altho' I guess the current labels for Utica Club still use "West End Brewing Co." as a d/b/a)?.

When I lived in NYS in the late '70's and again in the mid-80's, the brewery was usually just referred to as "Utica Club" but I didn't live in Utica. In that era, their Matt's Premium was becoming their flagship brand (was very common to find all over on tap, in clear 12 oz t/a's, brown 12 oz. deposit bottles but especially in 7 oz. clear long neck deposit bottles that some bars even used as salt & pepper shakes). And I always assumed that emphasis on Matt Premium was part of the reason for a name change, as was their expanding distribution area. That was before the Saranac line, of course.

I'd imagine most BA's wouldn't know the old name since it's 30+ years retired, and a "Places" search for "West End" turns up a brewery in Adelaide, Australia and retailers in CO, NC and PA ;).

5. Kendo

Kendo Advocate (515) New York Dec 23, 2005

"In that era, their Matt's Premium was becoming their flagship brand (was very common to find all over on tap, in clear 12 oz t/a's, brown 12 oz. deposit bottles but especially in 7 oz. clear long neck deposit bottles that some bars even used as salt & pepper shakes)."

When I started college in Albany in 1987, we used to get Beer Balls of Matt's all the time. Local, fresh and (most importantly to college students), cheap!

6. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha Matt's beer balls, and a dancing bear, memories that go together and explain their own haziness.

As far as the OP, though, great news for all who are connected in any way to the craft beer revolution underway in New York State. Even the provision for the farm brewery license. Nice!!!

Guess Shelton will have to figure another way to steer $$$ out of the pockets of fine beer makers and lovers.

7. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

More like brewers everywhere should be thanking Shelton Bros. in a big way.

Just goes to show you that even in NY, the government can get something done if there is enough of an uproar.

cavedave and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  8. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Got it backwards cavedave. Without Shelton it wouldn't have happened. As Uncle Jimbo says, you folks in NY should be thanking Shelton.

cavedave likes this.
  9. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

i remember buying Matts beer balls for $11.91 at Wegmans during my college days. they would ink 10/91 on the side of the ball to indicate October 1991. then we would raise hell when it rung up for anything other than $10.91.
    that lasted for a short while. maybe 4 beer balls if i recall.
    discouned cheap beer is by far the best beer.

we were the king's of Ithaca i tell you!

UncleJimbo likes this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah the law of unintended consequences swings in both directions, you are right about farm brewery desig. not happening otherwise.

As far as brewers everywhere, etc., I don't know if I will notice a difference here in that regard from before Shelton brought suit. What specifically need I be thanking Shelton for along those lines?

Guess I'll go out and buy a bottle of one of my favorite beers, Cantillon Gueuze, and celebrate. Oh, wait.