1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Granite City... Improving?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by opwog, Feb 20, 2014.

1. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Is it just me or have their beers improved? I never thought that they were as bad as some people make them out to be, but they were always just a bit better than average. I just did my once every 6 month stop into the St. Louis Park location for a sample set and was pleasantly surprised by about 75% of what I tried. Still not challenging some of the great breweries around, but maybe realizing that they needed to step up their game a bit. I saw the same think happen at Karl Strauss in CA.
  2. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I think you answered your own question. I've never quite understood the disdain for Granite City & you've hit the nail on the head: their beer is consistent, pretty good, & unexciting. Nothing to go out of your way for, but certainly good enough to drink if it's sitting in front of you. I haven't noticed much change in quality in the six plus years I've been going there (Sunday night kids eat free - need I say more?).

Their monthly or bi-monthly releases show quite a bit more...variety. Some have been quite good, some have been Bakken Oil-style train wrecks.
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

The beers at the a Granite City here in Des Moines are below average. I think all they actually do is ferment the beer here though, which is strange. It's mainly just a show piece for people in the restaurant to know that they actually "brew" the beer they are drinking. They see tanks and think its brewed on site, which I don't think is true (for here anyway). Meh....I'll pass. Too many others good legit local breweries.
    Ish1 and McRyan like this.
  4. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I've always thought the original in St. Cloud had solid if not better seasonal offerings and solid regular rotation things as well.
  5. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

The one in St Cloud actually has a brewhouse in it. I don't think they use anymore though. Could be wrong.
  6. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

That was the only one I ever knew before moving out here. Coincidentally, my GF's dad lives in St. Cloud, so we used to visit there a lot. In fact, I don't think that I have ever been to any locations other than St. Cloud and St. Louis Park. But this last visit really did seem to me like they may have made some changes to improve things.
  7. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Last month the Granite City people purchased the two Sunsets in Woodbury and Wayzata. I wonder what they are planning. Anybody heard?
  8. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I do tend to stop by there if I know I'll be going by one on a Tuesday with my growler. $6 for a growler fill ain't to shabby and works good when going camping.
  9. Chumley22

Chumley22 Disciple (65) Minnesota Sep 28, 2013

They also bought the old Sunshine Factory in New Hope and called it Pub 42. Business must be good!
  10. igor

igor Aficionado (190) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

I like the HH/lunch menu they have. Idaho nachos are yummy. I do like some of the Seasonals or special beers like the Belgian and the pilsner.
  11. Dean Vlahos (Founder of Champps and Redstone) bought the Wayzata location for sure. Haven't heard anything about the Woodbury location. No connection to Granite City
  12. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Love the Beer list on Pub 42s Menu.

http://pub42.com/menus/all-items/

Can't wait to try that Third Street Lost Trouble...
  13. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Or the Third Street Sugar Shandy!
  14. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Belts Two Hearted
  15. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Or the Belts Two Hearted.
  16. Pub 42 has Stone Imperial Stout on tap as well...I've had several there, including one last week. They want to expand their tap list more into craft beer, according to the manager.