Gratitude update

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by HopsMatt, Jul 10, 2012.

1. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (470) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I sent Scott an email this morning about the latest Gratitude. He replied back really quick and updated the site with this;

2011 Gratitude Update
    You may be wondering what the story is with our latest round of Gratitude Barleywine... and by "latest", I mean this is absolutely the latest we've ever released this beer. And it's still not ready for release yet. Why?

Quality issues. One of the most enjoyable quality checks we make here is the step where we crack open a couple of bottles, check to see how the well bottle conditioning has worked, and verify that the beer's carbonation level is within spec for what we are shooting for. Well, this time it wasn't quite so enjoyable, since the beer is almost completely flat.

It's a challenging environment for the yeast to work in, given that it's an 11+% beer, so we're looking at our options to see what we can do to get it to carbonate properly. One of the more painful options we're considering is to re-brew this batch completely, which will of course take more time, and probably mean the loss of this entire batch... but we're not quite ready to go down that path just yet, until a few less drastic options are explored more thoroughly.

So, I don't have much of a time estimate for you, except to say... Not any time soon. Sorry it's not better news.

Cheers - Scott

Not good news, but still worth waiting for. Not sure if anyone else had seen this yet so I thought I'd share.

terrapinfan88 likes this.
  2. That's a tough situation to be in. Alan Sprints from HotD released the last bottling of Bourbon Fred with known carbonation issues. He priced it accordingly and I doubt there were major problems selling what was produced.

Since this is the last of the 'rainbow' series, I don't blame Scott for not wanting to follow in Alan's footsteps. I wouldn't want to end such a highly regarded series with a product below my expectations either.

I think Scott should still sell the product (still tastes good, right?), maybe under a name other than Gratitude.

Just my $0.02.

ChrisPro likes this.
  3. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Good to know that the concept of QC is not completely lost.

4. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (610) New York Nov 23, 2010

How about FLATITUDE?

Seriously, I'd buy it.

5. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

The problem is it sounds like they're already in the Gratitude bottles though. I don't claim to know much about anything, but I would have to think that would be a pain to remove them from the Gratitude bottles and then re-bottle them...

6. I doubt they wrapped them up in the paper before inspecting them. That's like wax dipping I'd think, where it's the last thing you do.

You are right that they are probably in the clear 750ml bottles.

7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Good call, I for some reason (see, I really am an idiot) assumed that the paper label were already fixed to the bottle...

8. I didn't think they labeled/bagged the bottles until it is ready for sale?

Edit - Beerontwowheels beat me to my post.

9. HopsMatt

A total re-brew would be pretty costly but I appreciate his commitment to quality standards. If it were me, I wouldn't sell the bottles that are not carbonating. It just seems like bad business to sell an inferior product. Even if it was renamed. I would, however, hold on to sond of it and serve it at the release party for free just so his followers can see the difference.

10. This reminded me to drink my flat bourbon fred today. Well done.

HopsMatt likes this.
  11. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

The problem is that the yeast is used to brewing 3% beers.

kundog18 likes this.
  12. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012

Time to throw it all in a barrel and wax it black in a few years.

FUNKPhD, Etan, axeman9182 and 2 others like this.
  13. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

If they re-brew,

Is the flat batch a bigger whale?

rather likes this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

I really hate to hear this, but considering Gratitude it the best non barrel aged barleywine ive had, I will wait for sure!

wchollif likes this.
  15. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

I'd absolutely still buy it. It would be a fun project to make a starter of yeast w/ high alcohol tolerance, then split up and repitch in the bottles, recap and bottle condition at a constant 72 or so.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  16. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Looking forward to it, i actually hope they rebrew it though.

17. HopsMatt

Hint Hint?

18. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

19. à la Stone?!?

HopsMatt likes this.
  20. HopsMatt

Scott tweeted that he rebrewed Gratitude. Had to start from scratch. But there will be more Bitter End!

21. I was going to do my best to make it to the Gratitude release when I heard it was coming up months ago. With Scott having had these problems carbonating the brew, and knowing that he did the right thing and rebrewed, I'll definitely be at the release. Good on you East End!

Oh, and thanks for the update, Matt.

22. 2008 was a re-brew - correct ?

23. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

2008 was not a re-brew, I'm pretty sure they ended up dumping half the batch due to infection. That is why the bottle numbers are so much lower than 07/09. Its a bummer, the '08 batch is probably my favorite.

24. couldn't find the link before - but just found it:

http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/767

2008 Green Wax: A difficult year for Gratitude. The original 1400 labeled bottles could not be sold due to a quality issue with the beer... a protein burn in the kettle, that did not come through in our initial tastings. We brewed a single replacement batch of just 800 bottles, and released it with dark purple ink on the label instead of black, just so we could tell the difference.

25. Plenum

Plenum Aficionado (225) New Jersey Apr 29, 2009

Flatitude is perfect...they should still release it at whatever their cost is. It will totally sell.

claspada and cavedave like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I would buy this beer, still, whatever, in a heartbeat. Shame about it though. Used to feel sorry for myself as a homebrewer. Big breweries have it so easy, used to think. Years later I feel sorry for the big guys, bigger and bigger problems.

27. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

How much did they sell the verts for? I would assume they would do the same thing when this batch is released?

28. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

The last batch was flat for a while!

29. 6 year stacked vertical was $600

http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/898

but from a more recent post on the website:

>>>
    We let people in at about 12 noon last year, but by 9am, there was already a line forming at the door. Mostly, this was for the older year "vertical packs" that we don't have stock to do this year. For this year's "vintage stock" of Gratitude and "other previous releases", quantities that we have on hand are all comparatively VERY LOW, so realistically, don't count on landing some.
    >>>

looks like no 6 year verticals this year.

30. East End just posted this via twitter...

http://lockerz.com/s/236584279

cosmicevan likes this.
  31. God please somebody get me a bottle of this beer I have been waiting sooooooooo long to try it.:D

32. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

6 bottles for $600?! Dang! Does anyone recall what one bottle of the newest version went for last year?

33. Stacked vertical. IE...

• 6 bottles of Gratitude 2010
    • 5 bottles of Gratitude 2009
    • 4 bottles of Gratitude 2008
    • 3 bottles of Gratitude 2007
    • 2 bottles of Gratitude 2006
    • 1 bottle of Gratitude 2005

34. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

Ahhh, that makes a lot more sense. 21 bottles of a ridiculous beer for $600 doesn't sound sooooo bad.

35. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

Considering my only chance to land this (outside of going to the release, which I do not consider worth the trouble for me) is to pay ~$30 for one of the most recent vintage, I would say it's a great deal. They could price the '05 for $100 and it would sell out immediately.

36. Not looking good for the re-brewed batch of Gratitude, see here...

37. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

that sucks. this stuff is delicious!

38. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I don't know much about brewing techniques but what would cause a brewery that has been brewing the same beer every year start to suddenly have carbonation issues?

39. HopsMatt

I'm sure it was a problem with the yeast. He ended up brewing a new batch that I hope is ready soon. Planning on attending the release when it happens.

40. It looks like the new batch (12a) is also having carbonation problems like the original (12) and they may end up brewing a 3rd batch.