1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gratzer Tasting - Denver

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by joshclauss, Feb 8, 2013.

?

Does a sour and smoky beer sound...

1. like barbecue vomit?

21.1%
  2. like the collision of two flavors only intended for the stomach lining of a porpoise?

26.3%
  3. like the whole world has listened to your deepest desires and responded with this one creation?

15.8%
  4. like the endless siren's call of a new beer that you must try?

42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

It sounds like we should update this to be 2/23, right? Does this affect anyone's ability to come?

2. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

It would mine as I've got a conflict that date but if it works for everyone else, go for it. No worries.

3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I don't mind shifting it around as I'm supposed to go to an event of some sort with my wife the night of 2/23. I'll still certainly be able to make it, but moving it (even a day to 2/24) wouldn't bother me.

4. joshclauss

Sundays I've heard are far busier there than Saturdays. It's going to come down to when the room is available and if/when Bill accommodates any kind of special stuff for us. Andre, you got your wish. We'll move it to 2/23 or 2/24 at noon. I'll report back when the room is booked.

5. Domingo

It might be seasonal, but I've been there noonish on Saturday and Sunday in the 6-8 weeks and both days were pretty wide open. Things really pick up after a couple hours, but I think we'll be safe either day. Until recently Sunday was my only option and twice we walked in and thought they were closed things were so empty...only to see the crowds really pile in about an hour or two later.

6. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (270) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

I won't be able to make it, but this weekend was looking a bit doubtful anyway. have a dortmunder for me.

Report your findings back; my reluctant bet is on bbq vomit.

7. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I like BBQ so much that I might just be able to tolerate the vomit...

8. gueuzer

gueuzer Savant (270) Colorado Jun 9, 2010

So I was catching up on my Zymurgy reading over lunch and discovered a recent issue had a whole article on brewing Gratzers. They also mentioned that Weyermann is now selling a oak-smoked malted wheat as part of their heirloom series.

Here are their style guidelines from the article. No mention of sourness.

Aroma: Oak wood smoke is the prominent aroma. Smoke intensity is medium to
    medium-high. A low to very low noble hop aroma is typically present, but is often
    concealed by the smoke. Hints of grainy wheat may also be detected. The aroma is
    otherwise clean, although light fruity esters are acceptable. No alcohol or diacetyl.
    Appearance: Yellow to deep gold in color with good to excellent clarity. A large,
    white, tightly knit head with excellent retention is distinctive.
    Flavor: Moderate to medium-high oak smoke flavor up front that carries into the finish.
    Smoke character may be perceived as somewhat acrid to semi-sweet. Moderate
    noble hop bitterness is readily evident and also lingers into the finish. The perception
    of hop bitterness is often higher than actual IBU levels would indicate because of the
    low gravity of the beer and the sulfate waters used. Balance is toward bitterness. Spicy
    noble hop flavor is low but should be perceptible. Malt flavor is low and consists of a
    grainy wheat character in the background. Light fruity esters may be present but are
    often obscured by the smoke. No sourness. No alcohol or diacetyl.
    Mouthfeel: Very light in body, crisp, and dry. Carbonation is medium-high to very
    high, often adding a slight carbonic bite or prickly sensation. No sensation of alcohol.
    Overall Impression: A low gravity, well-carbonated, light-bodied wheat beer combining
    an oak-smoked flavor and aroma with a clean noble hop bitterness. Highly
    sessionable.
    Comments: Known as Piwo Grodziskie in Poland. Historically produced using a
    multiple-step mash. Wort was quickly fermented and treated with isinglass for clarity
    prior to bottle conditioning. Traditionally served in tall conical glassware to accommodate
    the vigorous foamstand.
    History: Developed as a unique style centuries ago in the Polish city of Grodzisk
    (Gratz). Its fame and popularity rapidly extended from Poland and Prussia to other
    parts of the world in the late 19th and early 20th century. Regular commercial production
    declined after WWII and ceased altogether in the early 1990s.
    Ingredients: Grain bill consists exclusively of malted wheat that has been kilned and
    cured over an oak fire. Noble hops (Lublin, Saaz, Tettnang, Lomik), moderately hard
    sulfate water, and a relatively clean top-fermenting ale yeast. German hefeweizen
    yeast or other yeasts with a phenol or strong ester character are inappropriate.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.028 - 1.032
    IBUs: 18-25
    FG: 1.006 - 1.010
    SRM: 3-6
    ABV: 2.7 - 3.3 %

Prospero and coreymcafee like this.
  9. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

I've had the Sooty Brother and it follows the above style guidelines. Tasty but seeing how it was the one and only gratzer I have had, nothing to compare it to. The Abraxxxas is definitely a smoked berliner weiss, odd and interesting beer. Hoping to track down one or two others from that same brewery to bring along if I can make it on the 23rd.

10. quine

quine Savant (260) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

Abraxxxas is the only beer I've had that is anywhere near this style. Very weird, and I'm highly curious about other beers of this style now.

11. joshclauss

Looks like the most appropriate day would be next Sunday, 2/24. Unless there's an overwhelming response against, that's the day and I'm going to book the room.

12. Domingo

2/24 at noon is fine by me. I'll be there.

13. Domingo

Ironically enough - Caution has a Gratzer on tap right now. "Casper the friendly Gr├Ątzer."

14. joshclauss

We're on for Sunday, 2/24 at noon an have the private room until at least 2pm. I have an email and a backdoor request to Bill to try something pre-filtration, but no word yet. Can people state their intention to attend? Need numbers for cheese I'm bringing.

I love that Caution has a Gratzer. I'll also reach out to Danny to see if he could spare some in whatever form for this. That's awesome. If anyone has a really direct connection to Danny and wanted to invite him down with his Gratzer as a special guest, even better.

Finally, Grimm got in touch privately and offered to give us a bunch more Sooty Brother either to drink or take home as parting gifts, and if anyone is going to be in Loveland or nearby that morning and wants to grab it, let me know that too so we can arrange.

15. Domingo

I kinda sorta know Danny if for no other reason than I'm at Caution pretty often. My plan is to hope they'll do a growler fill of Casper for me either tomorrow night or Saturday morning. I'm one of their "VIP" growler holders, so maybe that'll give me some clout if they don't have much left :p I'll toss an invite to he and Betty if they're around, too.
    Got 4-5 bottles of some German goodies that are a combo of my faves and just some items you don't see everyday, too.
    The pre-filtration thing might come down to timing. A lager that hasn't had time to mellow can be pretty rough, so hopefully Bill's export has been sitting for a while.

16. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Ya ready? I'll be there with bells on...minus the bells. I do have a Sooty bottle. Shall I bring?

17. Domingo

Good question...maybe bring it just in case? I guess we both have those big ass Thor's hammer shaped bottles of Gose, too. You looking to empty yours or should I bring mine? As of right now I'm bringing 4 1/2L bottles and (hopefully) a 32oz growler of Caution's Casper.

18. I'm still in as well.

The Westbrook box arrived with great success. Gratzer, 100% Brett Wine Barrel Fermented Lichtenhainer and Cap'n Skoon's Ballistic Stout (Baltic 'Stout' but fermented with a German Lager strain so semi-relevant). I also have a Hill Farmstead Mary that should be right at home under Prost's roof.

Let me know if you would like food or other items to be brought.

19. joshclauss

Sounds like we have plenty of beer. I'm supplying cheese and cheese distribution and consumption vessels, but I am open to suggestion for other items there.

20. quine

I'm planning on going. Possibly with a buddy. Not sure what I'm bringing yet...

21. Mebuzzard

Some stuffed intenstines with mustard (any idea which food truck will be there?)

22. Domingo

If only Obatzda was readily available...

23. joshclauss

Unnecessary. Just come and buy Prost beer. Your job is done.

24. Mebuzzard

well....and drink it (or give it to me)

25. joshclauss

Soooooo......

I was told at Crooked Stave today that Prost got hit with a $5,000 fine earlier this week for having outside bottles at their spot. I don't know the specifics, something about licensing, but I have an email in to Darlene basically to confirm that we can't hold the event there tomorrow. Super, duper suck.

If we do have an issue getting in there, it's going to be hard having it at a brewery. I heard about it at Crooked Stave because I was doing a trade there this morning (not even opening bottles), and I was asked politely to move them quickly out of the tap room. I don't know that anyone will host us now, not to mention other bottle shares.

We'll see what comes back, but considering this and the snow, I'll open it up to the group to see if the consensus is still to hold it tomorrow. If so, I can host at my house in Cap Hill.

26. quine

Damn, that sucks. I'm still down to have a share tomorrow at noon at a house, though! I've got it sketched out in my calendar already.

27. Domingo

I'm still down for it. I even managed to get a growler fill of Caution's. Tell me where and when and I'm in.

28. joshclauss

FALSE ALARM. Darlene got back and cleared us! We're still on, tomorrow at noon at Prost. Phew.

29. quine

Sweet! I'll be there, unless it's blizzarding way too hard to drive down.

30. Domingo

Nice. I'll get there one way or another. Driving if possible, but will take the bus/train if need be.

31. Domingo

Looks like it's the 'ol 130 bus and train for me. Everyone still going?

32. joshclauss

This seems ridiculous to try to save today, and I want people to be able to come. Domingo, sorry my man, let's delay.

I'm out of town next weekend, so it's looking like the second weekend of March will be best. Two weeks, and we'll have our German party.

33. Domingo

Works for me - better now than in an hour when I'm on the bus :) I'll keep the Gratzer growler as they keep a good seal,

34. quine

Yeah, this is a pretty awesome storm. Bummer, though, I'll be out of town second weekend of March :(

OH WELL TIME TO BUILD AN IGLOO

35. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Well, if 2nd wkend falls through to say, the third wkend in March... let me know. Working a trade for Choc's gratzer/gose.

36. joshclauss

Hey, all. I have some not-so-great news from Prost. Darlene called me last weekend and let me know that she and Bill decided after the recent fine that now isn't the time to have this event there. They're as bummed about it as we are, but we need a new location. If anyone knows another brewery or restaurant that would still host it, please let me know. Crooked Stave has stopped allowing bottle sharing from other breweries as a result, so they're probably out, too. If push comes to shove, I'm okay hosting it at my apartment in Denver to move us toward having it sooner rather than later.

37. Domingo

Any chance Dry Dock/Brew Hut might? I've seen plenty of people with offsite bottles there over the years.

38. joshclauss

I'd guess there's a chance anywhere. I called around to a few Denver breweries for a bottle share not too long ago, and there were two that said no, straight up:

Denver Beer Company
    Renegade

We ended up doing it at Avery in Boulder because they've always been happy to accommodate. Everyone else, I don't know. I don't think I tried Strange or Great Divide (although they've been really hesitant to allow it previously), but we could still give a try to others like Dry Dock - the primary need is space, and a lot of smaller places won't have it, especially on a weekend when they do happen to be open. I got to know Bryan at OMF recently, so I'll ask him if maybe we could do something in their malting space.

39. Mebuzzard

The catch is the liquor license. As far as I know, those places are not licensed to have outside, commercially available beer on their premises...without charging a fee (which is why fests are okay). A fine isn't worth it for most of these places. Maybe a hotel (ironically without a liquor license)? Or restaurant with corking fee? Or a park on a picnic blanket?

40. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Can they just charge us a $0.01/bottle opening fee? Or is it just straight up not allowed?