1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Gravedigger Billy

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Has anyone had this beer yet? I am going to be in Chicago this weekend and am debating grabbing a pint if enough people think it's worth the hefty cost ($9/9 oz).

What's is best comparable? The Backwoods Bastard?

2. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

It is a lil pricey, but if you're hesitant you can always get the little 4-5oz tater-size pours that Rev offers... very nice beer IMO.

3. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

i think comparing it to the bastard seems fair. although they used a cherry smoked malt in Willy that certainly makes it's presence known as it rests and warms up in the glass. however, i'm not a fan of smoked malts, and love backwoods bastard, i did enjoy the gravedigger overall.

4. jegross2

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by for a glass.

5. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Savant (375) Illinois Oct 16, 2009

Skip the taster and go for the full pour!

6. It's worth it. The barrel age and smoked malt are intense, in a good way. Definitely worth a try.

7. bishocr

bishocr Aficionado (175) Illinois Dec 30, 2010

I think you can pass on it, but i would suggest you go for the eugene porter. i struggle with all of Revs BA anything aside from the BA sodom.

8. jegross2

Biscocr, I've had the Eugene before. It's pretty tasty.

I'm from Chicago ;). I just live in Wisconsin temporarily. I love Rev Brew and Half Acre and always love coming to town to pick up growlers of both.

bishocr likes this.
  9. jegross2

This stuff was amazing. I've had 5 glasses this weekend.

deliu likes this.
  10. pudgym29

pudgym29 Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 14, 2009

I had a snifter of this last Wednesday night at a Tweet-up @ Revolution. I usually loathe smoked beers. I didn't get a smoke taste from it. I did let it warm up. If it remains like this, I'll have it again. If the next time, it is smoked, I'll have to switch to something else. :p