1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gravedigger Billy

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jegross2, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Has anyone had this beer yet? I am going to be in Chicago this weekend and am debating grabbing a pint if enough people think it's worth the hefty cost ($9/9 oz).

What's is best comparable? The Backwoods Bastard?
  2. thetomG

thetomG Member

It is a lil pricey, but if you're hesitant you can always get the little 4-5oz tater-size pours that Rev offers... very nice beer IMO.
  3. DROOO

DROOO Member

i think comparing it to the bastard seems fair. although they used a cherry smoked malt in Willy that certainly makes it's presence known as it rests and warms up in the glass. however, i'm not a fan of smoked malts, and love backwoods bastard, i did enjoy the gravedigger overall.
  4. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by for a glass.
  5. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Member

Skip the taster and go for the full pour!
  6. Zenasdassman

Zenasdassman Member

It's worth it. The barrel age and smoked malt are intense, in a good way. Definitely worth a try.
  7. bishocr

bishocr Member

I think you can pass on it, but i would suggest you go for the eugene porter. i struggle with all of Revs BA anything aside from the BA sodom.
  8. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Biscocr, I've had the Eugene before. It's pretty tasty.

I'm from Chicago ;). I just live in Wisconsin temporarily. I love Rev Brew and Half Acre and always love coming to town to pick up growlers of both.
    bishocr likes this.
  9. jegross2

jegross2 Member

This stuff was amazing. I've had 5 glasses this weekend.
    deliu likes this.
  10. pudgym29

pudgym29 Member

I had a snifter of this last Wednesday night at a Tweet-up @ Revolution. I usually loathe smoked beers. I didn't get a smoke taste from it. I did let it warm up. If it remains like this, I'll have it again. If the next time, it is smoked, I'll have to switch to something else. :p