1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great American Beer Festival 2013

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Clonies720, May 29, 2013.

1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

So is anyone going this year? I think I might do the Thursday night session. Would love to meet up with a few other Southwest BA's or something!
    hash_tagger and cyde like this.
  2. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Possibly, I'll let ya know if I do. I guess I need to figure it out pretty soon. In case you haven't been, Thurs night is the best night IMO, good choice.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  3. lndsy

lndsy Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 6, 2012

i'm pretty seriously thinking about it, at least.
  4. Clonies720

I haven't, but yeah that's what my Denver buddy/trading partner says is the best time to go. I'm definitely going to join him if I end up making it. I've never been to the GABF.
    lndsy likes this.
  5. lndsy

hahah he's the one who got me into the idea, too.
  6. Clonies720

I already have dibs on crashing at his place.
  7. lndsy

good ol' american slumber party!
  8. hash_tagger

hash_tagger Aficionado (175) Texas Jan 18, 2013

Yes but I think we won't get there till Friday if we can swing it.
  9. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Savant (375) Texas Oct 7, 2009

I'll be there. Already booked the flights and hotel. I plan on the Thursday night session and the Member's Only session. And then doing all kinds of stuff around Denver.
    soultrain19 and Clonies720 like this.
  10. Clonies720

If I go, I'll be there till Sunday or Monday! Pretty sure I'm going though. Probably buy my ticket next week. I can use my air miles for the first leg of the trip. The trick is finding a cheap one-way ticket back to Houston....Or sharing a ride off anyone brave enough to drive. :rolleyes:
    hash_tagger likes this.
  11. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I am going this year. There were sub-$200 tickets r/t on Frontier from Austin leaving Thurs and coming back Sunday night.

I am thinking I will end up at the Friday session.

I am also thinking of trying to get a group together to rent a large van/bus on Sunday and go to a bunch of the breweries in the area (preferable the smaller ones we do not get in TX - so not Breckenridge, Left Hand, Avery, etc, even though they are good, I like trying other beer).
  12. My girlfriend and I are going to all 4 sessions. $150 round trip tickets from DFW, bought over 2 months ago. We are going to spent 10 nights in Colorado in Denver, Fort Collins and Breckenridge; really looking forward to this one, last year was awesome.
    mrkmrk, lndsy and air like this.
  13. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I question if you will survive. I am hoping for the best.
  14. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

15. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Aficionado (225) Texas Nov 13, 2012

My wife and I will be there Thursday - Sunday, I think we will do the Thursday and the early Saturday sessions and do other stuff around Denver/Boulder or maybe Fort Collins the rest of the time
  16. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I highly recommend the Denver Rare Beer Tasting put on by Pints for Prostates. Should be on Friday that week at 1pm.
  17. This thing is awesome; holy hell I had a lot to drink at it last year.
    mkurylko likes this.
  18. Clonies720

$150 round trip? What airline? lol. Cheapest I saw was spirit airlines or something for $170ish
  19. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

We go every year, and this year will be no exception. One of my favorite events all year, and the inspiration for my business. Seems counter-intuitive to miss it. I agree that Thursday night and Member's-Only session early Saturday are the best 2 to go to, but I think we are going to have to leave early this year, so we'll likely be doing Thursday/Friday. We have a wedding to go to that same weekend, so we'll probably fly in Tuesday and fly out early Saturday morning.

Cheers,
    Chad
    Clonies720 likes this.
  20. United, just checked. $150/round trip is after tax too.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  21. Clonies720

That's the airline I fly (was it united that merged with Continental?)! How is it so low???!?!

22. I bought it February 18th is why.

"Airfare: 117.21 USD
    U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 8.79
    U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 7.80
    September 11th Security Fee: 5.00
    U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 9.00
    Per Person Total: 147.80 USD
    eTicket Total: 295.60 USD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 234.42 USD
    The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 61.18 USD"
  23. Clonies720

I just bought my own plane tickets. Cost me a total of about $100 round-trip. Thank you air miles. Heh

(Of course this is not including the outlandish baggage fees -_-)
  24. hash_tagger

Brave enough... or foolish enough. But really we were thinking about driving to mule beers. If this pans I'll let you know. EDIT: just saw you got tickets.
    richj1970 likes this.
  25. Clonies720

I can cancel within 24 hours for a full refund in case you decide within that time frame. Aren't you in Austin though?
    hash_tagger likes this.
  26. hash_tagger

Yeah I'm in Austin and we're still putting it together on our end over here.
  27. RunTomRun

RunTomRun Disciple (65) Texas Feb 6, 2013

Never been to GABF, but this event has been on my radar for a few years now. Seeing as how tickets go on sell the 30th and 31st of July, how easy/hard is it to get tickets if I was to become an AHA or BA member? I'm seriously considering this. Thanks!
  28. thirdeye11

About the only way to get tickets now is to be an AHA member.
    RunTomRun likes this.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I just did the drive straight from Denver to Austin last week. Took 14 hours. Like half of that is Texas, lol. Boring drive. Brought almost 3 cases of beer home.
  30. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Aficionado (225) Texas Nov 13, 2012

I had done Houston-CO Springs every summer for 5 or 6 years. That drive is terrible, of course I also went to college in Lubbock which is 9 hours. Now I'm lucky enough that my parents drive out every summer and I just fly up, so they bring back all the beer I buy.
  31. RunTomRun

So, not to doubt you, but for clarification, does it matter if I'm a Brewery Assoc. member vs. Amer. Homebrewers Assc. member? The BA membership does cost more ($155) and the AHA is ($38), but I'm not sure which is the more reliable route. Any BA or AHA members want to chime in on overall benefits of membership?

Either way, I want beer.
  32. thirdeye11

The only pre-sale I'm aware of is for AHA members. You can doubt me if you like. It's not as if I started a beer festival in Dallas modeled off of the GABF or anything.... ;)
  33. MattCinatl

MattCinatl Aficionado (135) Texas Aug 30, 2009

Brewers Association members get a chance to buy tickets during the presale as well.
    It is the same presale. Your chance at getting a ticket isn't any better with one organization versus the other.
  34. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (325) Texas Oct 2, 2007

Because you have to pack for your bags, if you plan on bringing beer back with you.
  35. Clonies720

A given. I imagine I'll do an IP trade or two for starters....
  36. RunTomRun

Bingo! Thank you Sir. This was the answer I was expecting/hoping to confirm.
  37. hash_tagger

Thanks for the heads up. I love boring drives with multiple cases.
    lndsy and mrkmrk like this.
  38. E-DUBB

E-DUBB Aficionado (200) Texas Nov 21, 2012

been wanting to goto this for years now.

:-/
  39. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I bought my Denver Rare Beer Tasting tix over the weekend. Excellent Father's Day gift to myself.
    This event is always the highlight of the week for me. Awesome beers and pretty good food. No lines and plenty of brewers to chat up. If I had to choose one or the other I would skip GABF and go to this.

Now to patiently wait for Jul 30.
  40. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Not gonna make it this year. Sucks. Its the cherry on top if you hit all the other stuff going on in Denver/boulder that week.