Great American Beer Festival 2013

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Clonies720, May 29, 2013.

1. I bought mine this weekend too. Last year was a blast, but I have my fingers crossed for a better line up this year.

2. bccocx

bccocx Champion (810) Texas Jan 13, 2007 Verified

I think I may be doing this too. I'm probably going to head up to Denver on Wednesday, disc golf / go to GABF on Thursday, Rare Beer Tasting on Friday, Crooked Stave / Avery on Saturday, then return on Sunday (hopefully).

3. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like a good trip. I'm arriving Thurs AM and not sure if I will do GABF Thurs night or Sat Midday. Depends on which one(if) I get tickets for. Then I'll do Crooked Stave Thurs or Sat depending on GABF. Rare Beer on Fri and leave Sun.
    Hopefully I can have a beer with you at some point.(Definitely at Rare Beer if you're there)

I'd like to do Avery as well, but not sure if I'll make it to Boulder or not. I don't plan on renting a car, but may figure out the public transportation.

thirdeye11 likes this.
  4. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

We always hit Avery multiple times, and I rent a car. I'm happy to have you carpool with us. PM me and we can trade phone numbers if you like.

Cheers,
    Chad

bentwookie likes this.
  5. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Champion (815) Texas Oct 7, 2009 Verified

Thanks for the heads up on this. Bought my tix just now. Looks fantastic.

bentwookie likes this.
  6. aschwab

aschwab Advocate (585) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I ended up buying flights to GABF last night from Austin.

108 on Southwest direct Thurs night at 6PM
    108 return on Frontier on Sunday at 7PM

Seemed decent enough.

7. bmusick84

bmusick84 Aspirant (40) Texas Dec 22, 2011

3rd yr in a row this year always a great time

8. aschwab

This will be my 3rd time going...just have missed it the last two years.

There are literally no hotels with vacancies in the downtown area anymore. I ended up having to book one 3 miles away from the convention center. I am guessing the NFL game is not helping that out either.

9. bentwookie

I think I'm flying out Thurs AM and out Sun PM Round trip on Frontier $203 (of course that doesn't include any checked luggage, but not sure if I will need that)

I haven't been able to find any really great deals this year as far as hotels go. The last 2 years I have gotten really cheap rates at the Ritz and 4 Seasons. So far the best rates I have found are through the GABF website.

Go to GABF website and click on travel then 2013 Hotels. You can reserve a room downtown for ~200 a night.

aschwab and Clonies720 like this.
  10. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I managed to use my air miles and was able to get a round-trip flight for only ~$100. I guess I'm lucky that I know two people in Denver that I can crash with.

Can you say Hello Crooked Stave, Avery, Prost, and Trinity Brewing taprooms (if they're open while I'm there)?

11. aschwab

Taprooms have always been open during GABF while I have been there. And, since Crooked Stave apparently did not sign up in time, they will not even be at the GABF (from what I have read).

Clonies720 likes this.
  12. aschwab

Eh...I ended lowballing it at 88 a night at a quality inn 3 miles from there. I figure the free parking alone covers the taxi ride.

13. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (775) Texas Aug 16, 2005 Verified

Or know someone who works for a brewery ;). I also think I remember seeing tickets for sale on stubhub, eBay, Craigslist, etc if you want to give someone the satisfaction.

Not mentioning any names but rumor (wait, no rumors for Chad j/k) there are several breweries that got shut out this year including at least one from TX. I believe the application process for breweries closed down after only an hour.

14. DonD

DonD Savant (285) Texas Jun 23, 2008 Verified

This list is from beerpulse of breweries that said they got shut out.

Prairie and Rahr are on it... among some other notable names.

24 Breweries & Counting (including some 2012 medalists)…

Bison Brewing
    Bristol Brewing
    Central Waters Brewing
    Charleville Brewing
    Columbus Brewing
    Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
    Eagle Rock Brewery
    Flat12 Bierwerks
    Noble Ale Works
    NoDa Brewing
    Nodding Head Brewpub
    O’Fallon Brewery
    Off Color Brewing
    Populuxe Brewing
    Prairie Artisan Ales
    Rahr & Sons Brewing
    Rocky Mountain Brewery
    Shawnee Craft Brewing
    Shmaltz Brewing
    Societe Brewing
    Thai Me Up Brewery
    Triton Brewing
    Weyerbacher Brewing
    Yazoo Brewing

cfh64 likes this.
  15. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (775) Texas Aug 16, 2005 Verified

Well there ya go, I didn't realize it was already public info. Rahr was who I was referring to. Thanks for posting the list. Damn, looking at that list...there are some great breweries that got shut out. Bummer.

16. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Yeah there's something like 142 breweries on the waiting list.

Those breweries need to get together and make a secondary session off-site somewhere themselves. GABFR (Great American Beer Fest Rejects). Prairie apparently is serving at the Rare Beer Tasting but not at GABF because of this.

Sounds like GABF is outgrowing Denver CC to me.

17. aschwab

I would say that breweries are outgrowing GABF.

I still would not mind if they had 2 different venues that each housed half of the breweries. Each have 4 sessions (same as now) and you just go two different nights to two venues.

Granted, it sucks as far as getting it all in one night, but the popularity of this thing from both breweries and consumers is getting absolutely ridiculous. Even as an AHA member, I am slightly concerned it will sell out before I get tickets for the night I want.

18. crossovert

crossovert Champion (810) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Pipeworks

19. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

Or the beer industry is getting too large to be completely accommodated by 1 festival?

EyePeeAyBryan and DonD like this.
  20. naadams

naadams Zealot (95) Texas Jan 10, 2013

This will be my first time going to this...looking forward to the Friday and Saturday sessions

21. There are so many awesome events in Denver that week it would almost be worth it to fly to Denver that week and attend all the stuff around GABF and skip the actual convention.

22. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

It's fun to go to Denver any time. :)

air likes this.
  23. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Pre-sale starts at 10AM mountain-time (in about 2 hours and 4 minutes). Anyone getting in on the pre-sale? Hopefully the website doesn't crash. Hehe.

bentwookie likes this.
  24. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Champion (815) Texas Oct 7, 2009 Verified

It's on my calendars, all of them, and there are alarms. I will buy these tickets or I will die trying.

bentwookie and Clonies720 like this.
  25. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Savant (280) Texas Nov 13, 2012

Yep, hoping it goes smoothly. Does anyone know how the system actually works in terms of buying tickets for multiple sessions? ie do I have to do separate orders for each or can I add multiple ones to my cart at the same time?

26. I am geared up and ready to buy

27. bentwookie

Last year my order finally went through on my phone when it wouldn't work on my computer. I am prepared to use both if needed. If I strike out today 'll try again tomorrow but I hope I don't have to.

28. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

I'm going, but am relying on the efforts of another person. Any intel on whether the members-only session will be worth an extra visit?

29. HopAG

HopAG Savant (495) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Quick question on GABF:

I'll eventually want to go (next year) and see that you can buy tickets for single days on the website atm.

During different days are there different breweries present? Or is it more for if you didn't try x you can try it the next day?

30. aschwab

Same breweries every day.

They may run out of some beer at later events.

31. HopAG

Thanks for the quick reply, so I'm assuming earlier is better then correct?

32. bentwookie

I can usually only handle I session. I prefer Members only or Thurs evening.

cfh64 and jsboots21 like this.
  33. bentwookie

Some breweries hold back stuff so they don't run out and maybe hold stuff for the members session. But the vibe is just better during the members session and Thurs evening. Fri and Sat night gets rowdy.

34. aschwab

Saturday noon session is the best - least crowded and they bring out the best beer. But that is for AHA/BA members only.

Thursday night is the 2nd best - not as many people in town and everyone has all beer.

Friday is 3rd best. Mix between mostly beer people and some party-collegesque people.

Saturday night is a clusterf*** of fratty party people doing power hours, beer people getting ready for their last hangover, and stragglers who could not get in the other sessions.

I usually end up on the Friday sessions since I fly there on Thursday night, and then do brewery tours on Saturday.

jsboots21 likes this.
  35. aschwab

10 minutes...to see if this system crashes.

bentwookie likes this.
  36. HopAG

Sweet, thanks for the info. It will make it easier for next year.

I'll make sure to become an AHA member soon

37. aschwab

The other benefit is your get to buy tickets a day in advance. Or should be able to. We will let you know in 20 min.

HopAG likes this.
  38. bentwookie

got my members only sat session tix

39. aschwab

Well, that was easy this year.

40. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (310) Colorado Oct 18, 2009 Verified

No problem. Got Thursday night.