1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Great American Beer Festival (GABF) 2013 Winners

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,650) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

The Great American Beer Festival (GABF) 2013 Winners list is live.

Congrats to all medal winners and cheers to the judges!
    Sortable List:
    http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

PDF List:
    http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/13_GABF_winners.pdf
    http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com

2. Stopped scrolling once I saw that freakin Natty Ice won "Best American-Style Cream Ale"

Seriously?!

Skrypt, DtheVillain, Mikecap and 11 others like this.
  3. I'm proud of my home state of New Mexico. At least five different breweries received medals in a state with about 25 breweries. People take notice. We've got some goodies. Come visit and find out for yourself.

4. Congrats to Beachwood!

5. opwog

opwog Advocate (605) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Beachwood = 5 medals and mid-sized brewpub of the year. Excellent showing!

6. REDSOXIPAGUY

REDSOXIPAGUY Savant (435) Ohio Sep 16, 2013

Look at fat heads winning imperial ipa. Pretty cool considering I'm 5-10 minutes from them. And beat out my personal favorite permanent funeral

7. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (770) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

I didn't know Perennial Ales was in Illinois. Last time I checked it was west of the Mississippi. Weird.

Anyways...Congrats on BA Sump Coffee Stout.

8. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (325) Illinois May 5, 2008

We annexed St. Louis. We're also reunifying it with East St. Louis as part of the deal.

AwesomeSquad, forrestbetts and Roguer like this.
  9. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (770) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

haha. Well I must be living under a rock.

10. drtth

drtth Champion (955) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Is there a better one that was entered in that category?

11. There were three categories in which one of the three possible medals was not awarded-- how, and why, do they not award a medal?

And shout out to Colorado for 46 medals woot woot!

LoganStegman and russpowell like this.
  12. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Savant (335) Illinois Jun 12, 2013

Go New Glarus who won 2 out of the 5 medals awarded to Wisconsin brewers. The rest went to Miller Sab companies.

Way to fight the big guys.

13. ddedhed

ddedhed Savant (410) Ohio Dec 4, 2012

Congrats to Fat Head's for a strong showing. And a really big congrats to the super tiny Yellow Springs Brewery for winning a medal. Good beer, nice owners, cool little town; what more could you want?

14. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Man, I hope they bottle Hop Juju!! Congrats to Fat Head's!

Quickicks, REDSOXIPAGUY and mcrago like this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Dry Dock continues to kick ass year after year.

16. congrats to Jack's Abby! Mass Rising is great, great beer

Quickicks, Esper1, Agnazub and 3 others like this.
  17. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (700) New York Mar 21, 2010

I noticed this also, curious too.

18. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (815) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Congrats to Fat Head's! I just re-visited Hop JuJu last month and it's definitely deserving..

I see Left Hand Fade to Black Volume 1 won a gold medal?!?!? That's one of my alltime favorites. Does anyone know if they re-brewed it or was it a keg from years ago? I hope this means they'll start brewing it again.. it's easily their best beer..

ChrisMon02, luwak and JohnnyMc like this.
  19. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

For what we have all known for a few years now, Beachwood ! Congrats to the best brewery in So Cal. I am going to pop a freshly bottled Melrose in honor of Julian and the entire BW crew.

Cheers.......

SoCalBeerIdiot, luwak and beerdweeb like this.
  20. That category has always been a sort of "catch all" for the big breweries. The category number and exact titles change a lot, but if you check out the 1995 Winners pdf at http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/past-winners/ you'll see that it was once called "American Lager / Ale Or Cream Ale" ("Err, so...just about anything an oldline brewery makes, right?") even though there were categories for "American Premium Lager" "American Light Lager" "American Lager" "American Specialty Lager", etc. The GABF just likes to give out a lot of awards, it's not interested in making a lot of sense (or even making sure the breweries follows their convoluted "style" criteria).

Chaz and luwak like this.
  21. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,190) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Kudos to Piney River for their Medal, probably the closet brewery to me & Gella's my favorite Kansas Brewpub!

22. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,180) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Congrats to all winners, CHEERS! Extra cheers to all NW brewers (yeah Bend Brewing!), extra extra cheers to the WA brewers, AND, extra special cheers to my homies at Boundary Bay for the Silver in the Barleywine category!

luwak and cavedave like this.
  23. Is the SandLot Brewing that won Larger Brewing Company of the Year (and the gold for Smoked Beer) the same as is purportedly the origin of Blue Moon?

24. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (465) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

If the judges don't feel as though any of the entries are worthy of a gold they simply don't award one in that category.

drtth and luwak like this.
  25. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yup, it's the same one. They're the most awarded brewery of all time, and not for B.S. macro lagers either.
    The Sandlot and AC Golden are proof that Coors can make great beers by any standard.

26. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,035) New York Mar 12, 2009

Congrats indeed!!!
    [​IMG]

Esper1, chinochino and beertunes like this.
  27. luwak

luwak Savant (345) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

FATE won a Silver in Specialty for Candy bar Milk Stout!

Go AZ!

MadDogMD likes this.
  28. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (330) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

Glad to see Fatheads win a Gold! JuJu is an awesome imperial IPA!

JohnnyMc and REDSOXIPAGUY like this.
  29. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,180) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Maybe, possibly, if Santa likes you, if you behave in an appropriate manner, you might get a couple in your stocking this upcoming Kwanzaa.

BTW, I happen to be wearing my example of the same shirt today. I hope to be that slim someday.:p

30. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Aficionado (195) Georgia Oct 27, 2008

Congrats Terrapin!!

ndepriest and opwog like this.
  31. opwog

Technically, Beachwood's Foam Top, which took a gold medal in the blonde/golden ale category is a cream ale, but I do not think that you can enter the same beer into multiple categories. So basically, you had a Cream Ale win in the Golden ale category and an adjunct lager win in the cram ale category.

32. opwog

I hear that! And a great beer to have won with. I remember people discussing Tree Hugger on here and t was obvious that they just were not getting the style. Glad to see some validation for how good this beer is.

Terrapin8 likes this.
  33. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (380) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Glad to see Market Garden winning a medal. They continue to make great beer but don't get the recognition they deserve.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  34. Don't forget Leinenkugel's Gold medal-winning, authentic German-style Canoe Paddler Koelsch. Hopped with Styrian Gold, Sterling, Saaz; unfiltered; and brewed with rye.

steveh likes this.
  35. Scott, one enters and hopes that the judges are good and know the style. Does not always happen. You have had more Koelsch in Cologne than probably all at the judging table together.

36. That simply doesn't make any sense. If you're going to award a silver, why wouldn't that beer win the gold? And everyone else below get bumped up a spot? What about category 54 that didn't award a silver? Makes zero sense.
    Performance enhancing disqualification after a medal is awarded? Probably not obv... Just seems like its easy to give 3 medals to each category...

37. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (465) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

It makes perfect sense if you understand the way the GABF is judged. Say you've got a category with 10 beers; one is awesome, one is "OK", and the other 8 are crap. They could award a gold to the awesome one, a bronze to the OK one, and not award a silver because nothing else met their expectations.

Or, in the example you used, perhaps the best beer in the category is pretty good, but doesn't meet their expectations for a gold, so they'll award a silver and bronze and that's it. It happens every year, but generally just in the less entered categories. When you've got 250 IPAs you're bound to find 3 great ones, but if there are only 12 Vienna Lagers entered and none of them are "to style" then you just don't award those medals.

TDavEdMac likes this.
  38. Would you score a beer a 9 if it were a 8?

39. Fair enough, and a good explanation, however 2 of the categories that didn't award a medal were Red Ales (89 entries) and Imperial Red Ales (56 entries). So American breweries aren't making quality reds that meet the judges expectations? Just seems like the top 3 should get an award regardless, but I guess I understand. Hard to think that out of that many entrants they couldn't throw another medal or two somewhere tho. Your example makes sense on the category that had 29 entries but red ales?

Esper1 likes this.
  40. 89 red ales and they couldn't find a 9?