1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great article on New Albion and craft beer pioneer Jack McAuliffe

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by NJOssie, Jul 30, 2012.

1. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

Andwoo and Bitterbill like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

3. I am interested to see how Boston Beer Co. handles the rebrewing of New Albion beer.
  4. NJOssie

I love Koch's initial response of doing it McAuliffe's way
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Man, I'm looking forward to this!!
  6. NJOssie

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

8. NJOssie

I envy that you got to try it... I wish that I had tried it in anticipation of trying the new version at GABF
  9. Here's to Jack McAuliffe. I'll dedicate my first IPA tonight to him.
  10. I'm really looking forward to this; I've long been curious about what the New Albion beers were like. Hats off to Jim Koch and BBC.
  11. pudgym29

pudgym29 Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 14, 2009

With the recent attention being refocused on Jack McAuliffe, here are the paragraphs describing him from "The Great Beer Trek" (1984) by Stephen Morris [ISBN 0-8289-0525-8]. This book changed my life. It was on the 'bargains books' table at Kroch's & Brentano's on N. Wabash Ave. in downtown Chicago for $1.98 when I bought it in 1986.

-JACK McAULIFFE-

While others dreamed and schemed, he did it. He opened the first ground-up brewing venture in America since the post-Prohibition era. An ex-Navy man who developed a love for Scottish-style top-fermented ales while in the service, McAuliffe's New Albion Brewery is located in a ramshackle plywood barn in Sonoma, California {20330 8th St. E; 95476}. With two partners and some part-time help, they turn out four barrels of their ales and stout weekly. The beers look and taste like homebrew with just a little touch of class. (A commercial brewmaster described New Albion to us as “awful, just awful”. Later, however, the same brewer admitted that his own bland product could not be given away in England or Germany.)

Because this brewery is so small, there was no suitable equipment available commercially. Jack had to engineer everything himself. When something is not working right, wrenches fly and the air is filled with language that does justice to any ex-Navy man. When asked the brewmaster's most important skills, McAuliffe rapidly ticks off, “Welding, plumbing, scavenging... Stubborness and low initial intelligence don't hurt either.” Assistant Suzie Stern wear hip boots and smiles wryly as she starts up the steam hose, “Somehow this is not exactly what I imagined growing up”. The future for New Albion is as cloudy as their beers, but their place in American brewing history is assured.
    -30-

[New Albion had bitten the dust by the time of the book's publication. Other early California craft breweries which had already come and gone were Franklin Brwg. (Emeryville - 1980), and DeBakker Brwg. (Novato - 1981).]
  12. CMUbrew likes this.
  13. Despite those who love to bash BBC on this site, Koch seems to be a classy guy. Along with this, he shared hops with other craft brewers during the shortage a few years ago. And then there's his contest for homebrewers to see their beer bottled commercially, and his entrepreneurship program.
    Stugotzo likes this.
  14. Thanks for posting Jesskidden. I hope they brew the Porter and Stout.