1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great collection... Just scared to drink any of it!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jlechner23, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (350) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

If you're having doubts now, wait till you get down to your last one or two....if, theoritically, that occurs...

bozodogbreath likes this.
  2. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Touche. To both of you!

RobertColianni likes this.
  3. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

If you would rather collect, get some baseball cards or pick up hoarding as a hobby, and leave all the black note for those who want to drink it. just kidding...well kinda. :)

If you like to collect, than collect the empties. Takes up the same amount of space, plus you get to drink em (you can even put the caps back on em too, so they look full) ;)

Either way, good beer is good beer. Cheers!

RobertColianni and mfnmbvp like this.
  4. Like many people, you will one day start opening some of those beers you've been stashing and come to the realization that most of them were better the day you put them in the cellar.

5. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

I had this problem for a few months but then I realized that most of the beer I drink is better fresh.

6. I have an idea, drink one while you meat spank to the other 23.

7. I can appreciate having one bottle of something very difficult to get and not being able to bring yourself to open it until the perfect moment. (Though here's a hint: That perfect moment never comes, so don't wait for it.)

But, a case?

I've overbought plenty of beer, just like 99% of BA does at one point or another. But man, there is so much fantastic beer out there nowadays, that there is no point to stockpiling...

8. You know, I have a similar problem. I have a case of assorted J.W. Lees Harvests from different vintages and different barrels that I hand picked, and after several months I realized it wasn't doing me any good to just have them, so I opened one, and I was damn happy I opened one, because it was amazing. You risk being not damn happy if you don't open any, so open one and risk being damn happy.

9. BackwoodsBrewing

BackwoodsBrewing Aspirant (35) Dec 28, 2012

Nice thing about 12oz black note is it will be allot easier to drink because it's not always easy to open and enjoy those big bottle on your own. Don't get me wrong I don't save them I just wait till I have a time to enjoy with friends.

jlechner23 and forrestbetts like this.
  10. jlechner23

jlechner23 Zealot (75) Michigan Jul 17, 2010

You have to start somewhere don't you. Yes, you are correct, I don't have any hads, reviews, wants or gots... but I'm new to the posting about my love for beer. Things will change and I will post my hads, reviews, my wants and what I have. As you can tell from the other responses, I'm not alone in how I feel about my collection. However, the time will come when I will drink my beers, I will love my beers, I will rate my beers and who knows, if I want some beer I can't find, maybe i'll trade my beers.... It might just take a little time and a little work before i'm willing to head in that direction!

11. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Separation Anxiety is normal to an extent. Just keep the empty and cherish the memories............or drink and buy more.
    Sometimes it is hard to find the right time to open an unreplaceable or extremely rare bottle but if you have a case or multiple bottles and there not one offs or 5-10plus years old drink em up.

12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Here's an analogy that might help. There's this amazing girl you've been lusting after and you finally get her to go out with you. After the date she comes home with you. What do you do next?

13. I make a terrible hoarder I'm afraid. If i get my hands on anything not common, i think ill buy two of each. One for cellaring/trading, one for drinking. Beer is meant to be consumed however. Many beers if not stored properly will go bad, and some beers were not meant for long term storage. That being said drink up!

matttttYCE likes this.
  14. I think you nailed it here. I started stockpiling a few months ago and realized there really is no need since there are so many good beers out there. Plus it seems like there is a new "must have" beer released weekly.

15. infi

infi Savant (465) New York Apr 4, 2009

I won't deny it. There's definitely a brief bliss period after a purchase/trade, in which I like to admire how proud I've come in terms of landing certain bottles. But I know they'll eventually be opened at a certain time/event (birthdays & nursing graduation). And that's why we have cameras.

bifrost17 likes this.
  16. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

I used to have about a dozen or so sours and stouts that I was saving for a "special occasion" but I found that I got much more enjoyment out of drinking them instead of trying to pick that special night to open them. I cracked most of them open at a few concerts this summer or when we have had people over. I do have one last Ithaca Le Blue that I will be drinking to my head once I find new employment.

17. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Why do you buy beer? So you can put it on a pedestal and admire it or to drink it? Your choice as to how YOU want to enjoy it!

18. Take her into the basement and try to impress her with your stash of loons, obviously.

19. Dope

Dope Advocate (575) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

They'll make more, I wouldn't sweat it. I sometimes ponder the same when I get some one-off brews though. That can be tough sometimes.

Dope

PS - trade me one

20. I had this problem for a while....mine stemmed more from the fact that I knew if I drank away all of my beers I would have nothing left to trade for others beers I wanted to try.

Then I started opening them, and began to realize that a) Many beers that I was drooling over for months were a let down, b) The enjoyment of sharing a nice beer with someone is far superior to the enjoyment I get looking in my cellar, c) There is literally a "world class" beer being released every other week it seems...there will always be something good out there to try.

I think I have adopted a pseudo-ticker mentality- and damn, I like it!

21. Say it ain't so.

22. I have nearly every GI BCBS (save 2007 and Rare - passed on Rare - doh!) and I can't get myself to open any. The only time I will is when my brother comes in to town every two years or so. I must have 30 plus bottles likely degrading in my "cellar" (aka basement) due to my fear of not being able to replace them.

Cheers.

23. I think you are on to something here. You never know when you will want to use the bottles for target practice or when you will need something different to juggle. Keep em just where they are.

24. So......my question is, what are planning to do if you're not going to drink them?

RobertColianni and LeRose like this.
  25. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Well, I will pass on wisdom that was graciously provided to me yesterday...

Drink that sumbitch!

Now that I am schooled in the basics, my problem is inventory control...where the hell did all that pumpkin stuff come from anyway.

26. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Meat spankings?

27. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Aw hell no....reducing that inventory problem that is the root cause of the excessive meat spankings! I see it as my duty to remove the source of temptation.

Thought the meatspanking business showed up way later in the thread...

28. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Showed up late to the party.

JxExM and LeRose like this.
  29. Drink beer.

JxExM likes this.
  30. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Yes. That's why God gave you two hands.

31. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Drink it. Save the bottles and memories.

32. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

They will brew more, drink em! Then spank the hell out of that meat! Beat it like it owes you money!

33. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (280) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

There comes a point, not necessarily with beer, that the anticipation for something creates as much, if not more of a psychological "high" as actually doing it. Planning a vacation, for example. Your imagination runs wild, you feed off that. Same goes for collecting beer. So, straight up, do what makes you happy, if that means collecting the stuff.

However, if space and money are an issue, at least potentially, then you probably should consider giving yourself a "bottle opening quota." For instance, open something in your cellar once every week or something. That way you're constantly cycling out your cellar and keeping it at a reasonable level while still maintaining the enjoyment of collecting and enjoying the taste. Just an idea.

Affini7y likes this.
  34. SteveRod

SteveRod Zealot (85) California Jul 20, 2011

Great beers will always continue to be released, and there's always going to be something awesome or new thats coming out. So enjoy what you have and make it count, and when the next fantastic thing comes along, ditto. But dude, a case? seriously??
    I finally found 2 Breakfast Stouts the other day, after months of looking here in So. Cal. You know what I did? I drank that shit! Well only one for now. And yeah, I have 1 more, but whats the point of doing all that searching if I'm not going to enjoy it?

35. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

You honest to god took the words out of my mouth....or the text from my fingertips. I can't tell you how many times I've said that I'm going to drink down my cellar, then I got down to the basement for a while, open up various wine boxes (that's where I store my beer) then come back upstairs empty handed because I deemed the beers too young, or night the right occasion to drink them.

tectactoe likes this.
  36. Any night is special enough for me to open any bottle I have. It all depends on what I am in the mood for. Calling it a collection is even a far stretch for me. I don't collect them I drink them. The only reason I have "cellared" beer is because I buy way to much. I sometimes don't get to bottles that I wanted to open. That is because I just got something new to try. When I start to get to many I just have a bunch of friends over and have a great night. That great special beer you have worked hard to get will actually not taste all that great or special when you finally figure what special day to open them.

37. bstyle

bstyle Champion (805) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

You should probably start collecting baseball cards or comics....

RobertColianni and pixieskid like this.
  38. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Dude, wtf!?!?!

You bought up a case of an increadibly limited beer that most people would be happy to have one bottle of and you are saying you're afraid to open one? More importantly, how the fuck are people buying cases of this shit. Is there enough to go around in dist. that cases are no biggie; like Hopslam?

RobertColianni and stayclean like this.
  39. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Literally? That sucks; all you do is look at beer and never drink any of it...

40. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

What are you saving them for?

Next year they will release more, and you'll buy another case and put it on top of the old one. Soon you'll have a beer shop in your basement of old, past-its-prime beer. Some of us have learnt this the hard way. What a waste.

Try this: You are allowed to keep it and stare at it, as long as you can drink a full case of other beer from your cellar before you buy your next case of trophies. Repeat process...

Jeff