1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Great collection... Just scared to drink any of it!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jlechner23, Jan 10, 2013.

1. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

I sort of have this problem. I have a hard time bringing myself to drink hard to get/specialty brews that I buy or trade for but if I get multiple of something, you bet your ass I'm drinking one at least. Then depending on how good it is, I'll act accordingly. I'm also starting to realize that I began with no rare beers so it's not impossible to get things of that nature and build a cellar. But I also do have a few of those "only for special occasion beers" like my King Henry for example. Meh.
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

So you're saying to stick my knob in the bottle? What if it won't fit?

I'm not good with analogies.
  3. beer is made to be drunk so enjoy a bottle now...and another some months later etc...some brewer brewed that beer to be drunk some time so just drink it and stop thinking so much
  4. stealth

stealth Advocate (535) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Start pulling 5-6 bottles out of your cellar and have tasting parties with your friends every few weeks, etc. You will find that is hell of a lot more fun than staring at hundreds of bottles in your basement. Each tasting party will turn into a 'special occasion'.

This is how I like to enjoy my horde of beers in the cellar, while saving a few specials that I only consume on my birthday, etc.
  5. There's really no use collecting any of these limited release beers. Eventually all these companies (i.e. Founders, Three Floyds, AleSmith, Stone, etc...) will be bought out by a large conglomerate (i.e. Inbev like Goose Island) and eventually become just a simple money maker. They will never have a huge self life, like the true rare vintage beers (i.e. Allsopp Arctic Ale, Bass Kings Ale 1902, Barclay Perkins Russian Imperial Stout, Trumans Burton No. 1 Barley Wine, Benskins Colne Spring Ale, or even Hurlimann Samichlaus 1980-1986) because of the extreme sanitation process occuring in the American Craft industry. There is a point that beers need to be exposed to some negative pathigens to develop character and vatality for storage. There is no beer that is made in the American Craft market that could hold up in the late 18th century traveling to Russia from England. I just graduated from the Weihenstephaner Brewing University and have done multiple studies on specific yeast strains obtained from various craft breweries (Founders CBS, Three Floyds darklord, Portsmouth Kate the Great, and Midnight Sun M) in comparison to the origional Barlay Perkins Russian Imperial Stout yeast) and discovered the newer American yeasts have no adaptability to any negative agents. With this being said, unless the American environment and mentality to not genetically modify yeast ends, none of these beers will stand the test of time. It's funny seeing American Craft brewers attempt to replicate a belgium lambic. If you ever have an opportunity to tyr a Cantillon Lambic or Gueze from the 1940s/50s you'll see what perfection is.
  6. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I buy more than I will consume in the near term. If I didn't buy any more beer, I would venture to say I'd be drinking well for a couple of years. I do the same thing with whiskey; buy way more than I need. My motto is "it's never cheaper than it is today". So, I buy beer and whiskey and cigars and lay them down for later consumption. I don't buy to look at them but to consume....over the long term. So to answer the question, yes, it's a problem if you don't drink them.
  7. Since you have 24 of these beers, why not open a bottle every two weeks? That way you'll have the beer year round and by the time you finish, the next batch will be released.

The other issue you'll probably run in to, is that once you start drinking them you'll just start looking out for the next big beer. The ones you have won't please you anymore because you already have them.
  8. BourbonDork

I agree...beer is best enjoyed with friends......hey! I'll be doing that on Sunday!
  9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Who's scared of beer?

That's just weird.
  10. To the OP (and anyone else with this problem, GET OVER IT! Drink the beer and enjoy it. :mad:
  11. Among a group of people who obsess about beer, it's normal enough. Part of being a BA is enjoying finding and having hard to get beers (like a lot of hobbies). But believe me, once you crack one open you'll start going through them. You just gotta take that first step... ;)
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  12. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Drink it fool! You could be dead tomorrow!
  13. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

this is ridiculous, I'm so sick of people collecting beer!!! Cellaring a beer or two to see how it turns out is one thing, but this "collecting" shit is ridiculous. There is nothing cool about having a beer "collection", you come off like a nerd that nobody wants to drink with, hence the reason you sit in your basement and watch your beer get stale so you can still brag about it. Give other people the chance to taste these beers before they become to old and a shell of what they once were. Not directed at the op specifically just a lot of this "collecting" word going around and numerous people constantly talking about how they have more beer than they could ever drink...start drinking it and get a life that involves interaction with humans.
  14. Yea I really dont get the idea behind saving these beers. Is there gonna be some sort of apocalypse where you cant buy beer. Breweries are constantly gonna be releasing new "limited" beers along with great year round and seasonal options. We're never gonna run out of good beers to buy and drink.

Unless you live in antarctica and can only buy beer once every few years, there's no reason to hoard copious amounts of beer. Put that money in a 401k or go on vacation or something.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  15. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

You people that go out and buy cases of limited release beers just to stare at them forever have some serious hoarding issues and apparently a lot of $$$ to burn. Unless you are going to a progressive tasting of those beers over the course of time to see how they change while cellared or if you are setting up a trade revolving around said purchased beers, there really is no good reason to buy these by the case.
  16. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

SMH
    RobertColianni likes this.
  17. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

You can "collect" anything. I personally wouldn't choose beer as the object to scratch that itch though.
  18. It's really cool to obtain the Rare/Special stuff; even better to drink it!
    JxExM and tronto like this.
  19. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Get another case and drink that.
    JxExM and JustXBeer like this.
  20. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (300) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I drink beer. I don't collect beer. Yeah sometimes I buy excess but it comes in handy when guests are in town or I am broke from other expenses. Gives me an excuse with the wife to stock up again. :D
  21. Bonis

Bonis Savant (400) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Are you fucking serious or is this a joke?

You're scared to open them? Are you a fucking pussy? I am so confused right now.
    Bad_Trader and fredmugs like this.
  22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I buy mostly stouts and IPAs with few Belgians mixed in. With the stouts I will drink a couple and hold onto the rest because I know I can drink them whenever. IPAs on the other need to get drank. I'm not exactly hoarding my Speedway Stout or Abyss (for example) but they'll be just fine when I get around to them. With 2012 BCBS it was too hot for me so I'm holding it on purpose and I've been told that Expedition Stout is better with a year on it (I find it impossible to believe it can get better).

Drink one now and you'll find it's pretty hot but I only had Black Note on tap. If you have a case drink one a month.
  23. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I guess I'm in the rare crowd of not sharing my cellar beers. While I do hoard a little, I drink a lot, but I don't share them with anyone (except trades), took me too much time/money to get them in the first place. Once in a great while I'll split something big with my GF, but I'm too selfish to just freely let friends try my purchases. That said, I'd at least go through half a case of Black Note within a few weeks if I had it, 24 bottles can last a long time when mixed in with 50-60 others. So yes, open a few, enjoy them. Save a few, enjoy them later.
  24. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I like to over purchase and send the extra beers out in surprise boxes to my regular trading buddies. :)
    nUgZ and profbobo like this.
  25. Okay, so am I supposed to drink her or have sex with the bottle? So confused ;)
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  26. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Make a nice meal for dinner and drink a good beer with it! That is what beer is for. If you just want to collect stuff buy ceramic birds or something. You don't even have to cellar those. :p
  27. BourbonDork

Maybe the word "collecting" is the wrong term for what many of us do....buy beer, sometimes lots of it. I do the same thing with whiskey; buy a lot. My whiskey bunker sits at around 600 bottles....and yes, I do stare at it sometimes. I also drink my whiskey, share with others (quite often) and trade. Same process with beer. I buy a lot of beer but I also share quite a bit and I also like to bunker the beer allowing it age. I'm not sure I follow the criticism as each of us purchase, drink, share and store our beer differently and I would not say one way is wrong or right....just different.
  28. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Every day is a special occasion...... Its just a beer and you bought it to drink...... And you can drink it when your gone
    I had the same issue at one point now i throw a party once a month or so with like minded people and share the beers i wanted to try.... And only want some of each so no sense of wasting it :)

Drink well soon

Jamie
    skinsfan and EJLinneman like this.
  29. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

this. I unleashed some goodies at a holiday party for my pals, most which were bmc drinkers. 1) i was glad to finally drink the beer i have been looking at 2) everyone enjoyed it 3) shit tasted unreal good 4) wifey can stop b*tching about there being too much beer and 5) makes room for more beer. Full circle
  30. Sometimes I'll hang on to one bottle of a particularly good stout to age a bit, but I more or less drink everything I buy. My "cellar" consists of three or four bottles I think. I can't see the fun in collecting something so delicious.
  31. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What did I expect from a group of people who don't know what to do with a bottle of beer?

[​IMG]
    stayclean likes this.
  32. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I think the criticism is due to the fact that it seems like this post is almost just a "stealthbrag" of sorts (help, I bought a case of highly desirable beer! I'm scared to drink my collection of perishable goods! Ahhhh!).
    BMitch likes this.
  33. BackwoodsBrewing

BackwoodsBrewing Aspirant (35) Dec 28, 2012

I've also got some of the note but I wouldn't say I'm holding it captive just waiting for somebody with king Henry or rare locked up to release their prisoner. Plus it gets enjoyed by friends on card night.
  34. BourbonDork

Probably but I guess my comment was not specific to the OP, just a general response to the other comments. I admit the OP was a head scratcher.....I would have already busted up that case.
  35. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

So you're holding some of it captive... ;)

I hope distribution of this isn't as limited as I'm sure it will be, I'd actually like to drink it!
  36. BackwoodsBrewing

BackwoodsBrewing Aspirant (35) Dec 28, 2012

No I'm just messing I believe my problem is totally opposite of his I get great beer that I'd love to save but can't seem to be able to keep myself from drinking them.
  37. You can drink it? I thought they were just decorations for my shelfs...
  38. BigMikelikesbeer

BigMikelikesbeer Aspirant (25) Jan 10, 2013

I think you gotta problem. Beer is for consuming.....sooner better than later......PERIOD hope you don't take offense
  39. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

This is not a problem. Call me..
    YogiBeer likes this.
  40. I would only be scared to drink it if I knew it was past its prime, which it will be if you don't drink it.